List of encyclopedias by branch of knowledge
This is a list of notable encyclopedias sorted by branch of knowledge. For the purposes of this list, an encyclopedia is defined as a "compendium that contains information on either all branches of knowledge or a particular branch of knowledge." For other sorting criteria, see List of encyclopedias.
- 1 General knowledge
- 2 Specialized encyclopedias
- 2.1 National, regional, ethnic or cultural
- 2.2 Subject
- 2.2.1 Art and Architecture
- 2.2.2 Entertainment
- 2.2.3 Environmental Science
- 2.2.4 Fashion and dress
- 2.2.5 Fiction
- 2.2.6 History and biography
- 2.2.7 Law
- 2.2.8 Literature
- 2.2.9 Mathematics
- 2.2.10 Medicine
- 2.2.11 Music
- 2.2.12 Philosophy
- 2.2.13 Science
- 2.2.14 Religion
- 2.2.15 Social sciences
- 2.2.16 Sports
- 2.2.17 Other
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- Encyclopedia of China
- Gujin tushu jicheng - Chinese language encyclopedia completed in 1725 (10 million Chinese characters)
- Otto's encyclopedia - the largest Czech-language encyclopedia published between 1888–1908 and 1930–1943
- Academic American Encyclopedia - 21-volume work published in 1980, also issued by Grolier under the names Barnes & Noble New American Encyclopedia, Global International Encyclopedia, Grolier Academic Encyclopedia, Grolier International Encyclopedia, Lexicon Universal Encyclopedia, and Macmillan Family Encyclopedia
- Chambers's Encyclopaedia - published in 1859 by W. Chambers and R. Chambers
- The Children's Encyclopedia - by Arthur Mee, published 1908-1964 in the UK and in the US starting in 1910 as Grolier's The Book of Knowledge
- Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia - published by Dorling Kindersley
- Collier's Encyclopedia
- Columbia Encyclopedia - a one-volume encyclopedia from Columbia University Press last published in 2000.
- Compton's Encyclopedia - 26-volume encyclopedia
- Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia
- Cyclopædia, or an Universal Dictionary of Arts and Sciences - 1728 publication by Ephraim Chambers
- Dobson's Encyclopædia - first encyclopedia printed in the United States, but mostly a reprint of the Encyclopædia Britannica Third Edition
- Edinburgh Encyclopædia - 18-volumes printed and published by William Blackwood and edited by David Brewster between 1808 and 1830
- Microsoft Encarta - discontinued computer-based encyclopedia published by Microsoft, now discontinued
- Encyclopedia Americana - both a print work and currently a part of Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia.
- Encyclopædia Britannica - one of the best-known encyclopedias in English, online only since 2010
- Encyclopædia Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite - DVD version of Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Encyclopædia Metropolitana - 39 volumes in 59 parts published between 1817 and 1845
- English Cyclopaedia - 23 volumes, published 1854–1862
- English Encyclopaedia - 10 volumes, published in 1802
- Everybody's Enquire Within - a illustrated book of miscellaneous knowledge issued in weekly instalments from 1937 to 1938.
- Everyman's Encyclopaedia - published by Joseph Dent from 1913 as part of the Everyman's Library
- Funk & Wagnalls Standard Encyclopedia - first published in 1912, changed its name to Funk & Wagnalls New Standard Encyclopedia in 1931
- Groliers Encyclopedia
- Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia - an electronic encyclopedia published by Grolier.
- Harmsworth's Universal Encyclopaedia - edited by John Alexander Hammerton and published 1921-1922
- Hutchinson Encyclopedia - single volume work first published in 1948
- New American Cyclopedia - 16 volumes published between 1857 and 1866
- Nupedia - a peer reviewed, open content Internet encyclopedia project, currently inactive.
- Open Site - an effort inspired by, but not officially affiliated with, the Open Directory Project.
- Oracle Encyclopædia - a five volume encyclopedia published in 1895
- An Outline of Modern Knowledge - published in 1931 by Victor Gollancz
- Pears Cyclopaedia - a one-volume encyclopaedia published annually in the United Kingdom
- Probert Encyclopaedia - an online topical encyclopedia consisting of almost 100,000 short entries, published by Mathew Probert and based in the United Kingdom.
- World Book Encyclopedia - designed for family use, World Book is the world's best selling print encyclopedia
- Allgemeine Encyclopädie der Wissenschaften und Künste - very large 19th-century encyclopaedia by Ersch and Gruber
- Brockhaus Enzyklopädie
- Grosses vollständiges Universal-Lexicon - huge 18th-century encyclopedia by Johann Heinrich Zedler
- Meyers Konversations-Lexikon
- Treccani - also known as Enciclopedia Italiana di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti
- Lexicon Universale - published in 1698
- The Persian Encyclopedia - a three volume encyclopedia edited by Gholamhossein Mosahab, partially based on the early editions of the Columbia Encyclopedia
- Wielka Encyklopedia Powszechna PWN, 13 volumes, 1962–1970, the largest encyclopedia to date in Polish
- Wielka Encyklopedia PWN, 2001–2005, the successor to the WEP PWN; larger and more objective, it is currently being finished
- Brockhaus and Efron - imperial encyclopedia in 86 volumes
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia (Большая Советская Энциклопедия) - The second largest and most comprehensive encyclopedia in Russian; here were 3 editions, 3rd edition of 1969-1978 contains 30 volumes
- Enciclopedia Libre Universal (also known as Enciclopedia Libre) - project to create a Spanish encyclopedia using wiki software, released under the GFDL
- Enciclopedia universal ilustrada europeo-americana - the biggest encyclopedia of its time. Also known as Enciclopedia Espasa o Enciclopedia Espasa-Calpe
- Nationalencyklopedin - encyclopedia in Swedish
- Susning.nu - project to create a Swedish-language encyclopedia using wiki software. Anyone-can-edit encyclopedia until 2004, shut down in 2009.
- Anabritannica - published in Turkey and based on the Britannica Micropædia
- Ekşi Sözlük - a collaborative hypertext Turkish dictionary and encyclopedia site that shares a similar concept with Everything2 or H2G2.
- Wikipedia - the world's largest free encyclopedia — a project to create a comprehensive encyclopedia using wiki software
National, regional, ethnic or cultural
- Australian Encyclopaedia (1925, 1958, 1977, 1983, 1988, 1996)
- aeiou Encyclopedia (1996ff.) Austrian
- Banglapedia in 10 Volumes published in 2003 bilingual of English and Bengali.
- The Canadian Encyclopedia - (1985 and 1988)
- Hrvatska opća enciklopedija (started in 1999- 7th vol. 2005 of 11)
- Encyclopaedia Islamica
- Encyclopaedia of Shia
- Encyclopaedia of Imam Ali
- Encyclopædia Iranica - on Iranian peoples and Iran (Persia)
- Encyclopaedia of Persian Language and Literature published by the Academy of Persian Language and Literature in Persian in Tehran
- The Encyclopedia of Iranian Old Music - Published in Tehran, 2000.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (Biographical dictionary of Italians) - Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana
- The Encyclopedia of Malaysia, published from 1998 to 2007
- The Cyclopedia of New Zealand (1897–1908) unofficial, most subjects paid to have their articles appear, online at the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre.
- An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand (1966) official.
- Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand (2005–) official, incorporating the full text of An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand.
- Encyklopedia Polski (translation: Encyclopedia of Poland).
- Encyklopedia Powszechna PWN (translation: PWN Universal Encyclopedia).
- Enciklopedija Slovenije, published in 1987-2002
- Nordisk familjebok - encyclopedia in Swedish
- The London Encyclopaedia 1007 page reference of the city of London, pub. 1983
United States of America
Art and Architecture
- Grove Dictionary of Art in 34-volumes (1996)
- Allgame - A comprehensive online guide to computer and video games created by All Media Guide.
- Allmovie - A comprehensive online guide to movies created by All Media Guide.
- Allmusic - A comprehensive online guide to music created by All Media Guide.
- Encyclopedia of Earth (EoE) (an electronic reference about the Earth, its natural environments, and their interaction with society)
- Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS) -- sponsored by UNESCO—an interdisciplinary encyclopedia, inspired by the sustainable development movement
- Ekopedia -- a wiki encyclopedia about environmental sustainability
Fashion and dress
- Berg Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion - edited by Joanne B. Eicher, 10 volumes
History and biography
- Africana - The Encyclopedia of the African and African-American Experience
- African American National Biography
- American National Biography
- Appleton's Cyclopedia of American Biography - 19th-century American encyclopedia
- An Encyclopedia of World History - single-volume work. First Edition, 1940. Sixth Edition, 2001.
- Encyklopedia Polski
- Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History
- Lexikon des Mittelalters - German encyclopedia of medieval history, published in 1980
- Oxford Classical Dictionary - Despite the name, a one-volume encyclopedia for antiquity.
- Encyclopedia Rizaliana - a one-volume encyclopedia about the life, works and influence of the Philippine patriot, Jose Protasio Rizal, published by Lulu Press in 2008 and edited by Jose Fadul
- Arabic Legislations Encyclopedia
- American Jurisprudence
- Corpus Juris Secundum
- Halsbury's Laws of Australia
- Halsbury's Laws of England
- Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia
International and comparative law
- Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia
- Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature
- The Cambridge History of English and American Literature
- Soviet Concise Literary Encyclopedia - Soviet-era encyclopedia of literature, 9 volumes published between 1962 and 1978
- The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction - first published in 1979 by John Clute and Peter Nicholls
- Literary Encyclopedia (Литературная энциклопедия) - 11 volumes, 1929-1939 (incomplete - 12th volume draft later published)
- The Literary Encyclopedia - online encyclopedia started in 2000
- The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural - published in 1986, edited by Jack Sullivan
- The Poets' Encyclopedia - edited by Michael Andre
- Klein's encyclopedia - published 1898–1935
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics (EDM2) - Second edition published in 1993 by The Mathematical Society of Japan
- Mathworld - online encyclopedia by Eric Weisstein
- CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics - Second edition 2002, based on Mathworld
- On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (OEIS)
- Encyclopaedia of Mathematics - published by Springer Verlag in 2002
- Encyclopedia of Cryptography and Security - published by Springer-Verlag in 2005
- Kitab al-Tasrif (The Method of Medicine), by Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi (Abulcasis)
- The Canon of Medicine, by Avicenna
- Encyclopedia of Public Health
- Medical Compendium in Seven Books by Paul of Aegina in the 7th century CE; it was the most complete medical encyclopedia in its day
- Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary
- The Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
- The New Grove Dictionary of Opera
- Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart
- Encyclopedia Astronautica - a reference website maintained by space-travel enthusiast Mark Wade
- Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry. Wiley, 2000, 15 volumes.
- Encyclopedia of Genetics
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (ELS) -- owned by John Wiley & Sons -- having both a 20-volume print edition and an online edition
- Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna of Bangladesh
- The Illustrated Science and Invention Encyclopedia
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology - also comes in a one-volume edition.
- The New Encyclopedia of Snakes
- The Catholic Encyclopedia. 1907–1912 (15 vls.)
- New Catholic encyclopedia. 1967–1996 (15 vls. and 4 supplementary vls.). 2. ed. 2003 (15 vls.)
- Lexikon für Theologie und Kirche. 1930–1938 (10 vls.)
- Theologische Realenzyklopädie (TRE) Hrsg. Gerhard Müller. 38 vls.. Berlin 1977–2007.
- Encyclopædia Biblica
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism
- Encyclopedia of Christianity, John Stephen Bowden, ed., 1 vol., Oxford UP, 2006.
- Encyclopaedia of Islam
- Encyclopaedia Islamica
- Encyclopaedia of Shia
- Encyclopaedia of Imam Ali
- The Hussaini Encyclopedia
- Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam
- Encyclopaedia Judaica - published 1972-1991, second edition 2006
- Jewish Encyclopedia - published 1901-1906. Original full 12 volumes
- Talmudic Encyclopedia
- Jewish Virtual Library
- Shorter Jewish Encyclopedia in Russian - 11 volumes, published 1976-2005 in Jerusalem
- The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe - Yale UP, 2008
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences - edited by David L. Sills, New York, New York [etc.]: Macmillan, 1968
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences - edited by Neil Smelser and Paul Baltes, 26 vls., Elsevier, 2001
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences - edited by William A. Darity, Jr., Detroit [etc.]: Macmillan Reference USA, 2008
- The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics 2nd Edition (2008)
- Total Baseball, The Ultimate Baseball Encyclopedia, 2004, by John Thorn et al.
- World Sports Encyclopedia, 2003, Atena/MBI
- Above and Beyond: The Encyclopedia of Aviation and Space Sciences
- Christie's World Encyclopedia of Champagne & Sparkling Wine
- Encyclopedia of Marxism - an online encyclopedia released under the GNU Free Documentation License, part of the Marxist Internet Archive.
- The Grocer's Encyclopedia
- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft
- Larousse Gastronomique, encyclopedia of food and cooking.
- A Military Encyclopedia
- MusicBrainz - a project to create a free music encyclopedia, released under the Open Content License. The first goal is to create a database similar to CDDB.
- The Oxford Companion to Wine
- Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars An encyclopedia and history of (Non-Cuban) cigars and their manufacturers (also Perelman's Pocket Cyclopaedia of Havana Cigars)
- The Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia
- Lists of encyclopedias
- List of encyclopedias by language (English)
- List of historical encyclopedias
- List of Internet encyclopedias