List of environmental periodicals
This is a list of environmental periodicals, in print and online, focused on various aspects of the biophysical environment, the built environment, humans' relations to those environments, and other environment topics. This list presently includes literary magazines, general-interest magazines, newsletters, and others.
- (For peer-reviewed academic journals, see the List of environmental journals. For online or hybrid periodicals, see also the List of environmental websites.)
This section lists literary magazines.
- The Bear Deluxe—based out of Portland, Oregon, United States
- Camas: The Nature of the West—run by graduate students at the University of Montana
- Whole Terrain: Journal of Reflective Environmental Practice—published approximately once a year by Antioch University New England
Newsletters and newspapers
- ClimateWire—daily news service by Environment & Energy Publishing, USA
- Down to Earth—a science and environment fortnightly published in India by the Centre for Science and Environment
- The ENDS Report—based in the UK and published by Environmental Data Services Ltd.
- EU Forest Watch—a monthly forest issues newsletter focusing on the European Union, published by FERN
- The Green Economist—published by the Green Economics Institute, Reading, UK
- Greenwire—daily electronic newsletter by Environment & Energy Publishing, USA
- Hawaii Island Journal—published on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Manchester Climate Fortnightly—published (online and on recycled paper) in Manchester, England
This section lists popular magazines.
- TerraGreen- terragreen.teriin.org/
- Down To Earth- www.downtoearth.org.in/
- A\J: Alternatives Journal—official publication of the Environmental Studies Association of Canada; based in Waterloo, Ontario
- Checkerspot—published by the Canadian Wildlife Federation
- Coco Eco—an eco fashion and sustainable lifestyle magazine
- E–The Environmental Magazine—published by the Earth Action Network, based in Escondido, California
- Earth First! Journal—published by Earth First!
- Ecology and Law—quarterly environmental advocacy and news magazine of the Bellona Foundation, Saint Petersburg, Russia
- ECOS (Australia) -- an Australian environmental magazine published by CSIRO
- ECOS (UK) -- quarterly publication of the British Association of Nature Conservationists
- Environment magazine -- "Science and Policy for Sustainable Development," published in Philadelphia by Taylor & Francis
- The Environmentalist—a public interest, eco-investigative online magazine
- G: The Green Lifestyle Magazine—published in Sydney, Australia
- Gobar Times—monthly environmental education magazine for young adults, published in India by the Centre for Science and Environment
- Green Car Journal
- The Green Guide—produced by the National Geographic Society
- Grist (online magazine)—headquartered in Seattle, Washington
- High Country News—a magazine, website, and op-ed column addressing public lands, water, natural resources, grazing, wilderness, wildlife, logging, growth and other issues in the American West
- Home Power—based in Ashland, Oregon
- InsideClimate News (online magazine)—based in Brooklyn, New York
- Mongabay (online magazine)—based in Menlo Park, California
- Mother Earth News—based in Topeka, Kansas
- Natural History—published by the American Museum of Natural History, aiming to promote public understanding and appreciation of nature and science
- Natural Home & Garden—American bimonthly magazine about sustainable homes and lifestyle
- Natural Life—based in Canada and owned by Life Media
- Orion—published by the Orion Society and based in Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- ReNew—an Australian magazine first published by the Alternative Energy Co-operative in 1980
- Resurgence & Ecologist—British bi-monthly green magazine
- Sanctuary Asia—India's first and one of its leading environmental news magazines
- Xover—edited in Bangalore, India
This section lists specialized periodicals.
- Chinadialogue—online magazine based in London, Beijing and San Francisco
- Corporate Knights—quarterly Canadian magazine focusing on corporate social and environmental responsibility
- Earth Negotiations Bulletin—internet publication covering international environmental negotiations, workshops and conferences, published by the Reporting Services arm of the International Institute for Sustainable Development
- The ENDS Report—published monthly by Environmental Data Services Ltd, now part of the Haymarket Group
- The Green Economist—news journal, published by the Green Economics Institute
- Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education—published by the Universities Council on Water Resources
- Landscope—the quarterly journal of the Western Australia Department of Environment and Conservation
- New York State Conservationist—published by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Noise & Health—published by Medknow Publications on behalf of the Noise Research Network
- Organic Matters—published by the Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association
- Zoning and Planning Law Report—monthly newsletter published by Thomson Reuters Westlaw
This section lists defunct environmental periodicals.
- The Ecologist—British environmental magazine, 1970-2009; now merged with Resurgence
- Energy Matters—discontinued; published by students at the University of Cambridge between November 1980 and June 1984
- European Nuclear Disarmament Journal—discontinued; bi-monthly magazine of the European Nuclear Disarmament group in the United Kingdom
- Harbinger: A Social Ecology Journal—published by the Institute for Social Ecology in the 1980s, and again from 2001-2002
- Left Green Perspectives—published by the Institute for Social Ecology from 1988-1998
- Rachel's Environment & Health News—published by the Environmental Research Foundation, New Brunswick, NJ, from 1986-2008; edited by Peter Montague
- Wild Earth—discontinued; published in the United States
- Women in Natural Resources (WiNR)—published at the University of Idaho from 2001-2012
- Worldchanging—published in San Francisco and then Seattle, Washington, from 2003-2010
- "Dot Earth", Andrew Revkin, NYTimes.com (notable blog)
- "Earthweek: A Diary of the Planet", Steve Newman, syndicated newspaper column
- Environmental journalism
- European Environmental Press (EEP)
- Grantham Prize for Excellence in Reporting on the Environment
- List of environmental journals—for peer-reviewed, scholarly periodicals
- List of environmental websites
- Lists of environmental publications
- "Why The Future Doesn't Need Us" (article by Bill Joy in Wired magazine)
- "Harbinger, A Social Ecology Journal," Institute for Social Ecology. Accessed: October 1, 2012.
- "Left Green Perspectives (1988-1998)," Institute for Social Ecology. Accessed: October 1, 2012.
- "Rachel's News Archive", EnviroLink.org. Accessed: October 10, 2012.
- "Articles at WiNR," Women in Natural Resources. Accessed: March 9, 2013.