List of fatal Champ Car accidents
This is a list compiling drivers who have been fatally injured in American Championship car racing, since 1956. The list recognizes "IndyCar" or "Champ Car" fatalities under the following sanctioning bodies:
- United States Auto Club (1956-1997)
- Championship Auto Racing Teams (1979-2008)
- IRL/IndyCar Series (1996-present)
The most recent driver to be killed in an IndyCar Series event was Dan Wheldon in 2011.
|Indianapolis Motor Speedway||16||1957||2003|
|Phoenix International Raceway||2||1964||1973|
|Daytona International Speedway||1959||1959|
|Las Vegas Motor Speedway||1||2011|
|Auto Club Speedway||1999|
|Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca||1999|
|Toronto street circuit||1996|
|Illinois State Fairgrounds||1964|
|Arizona State Fairgrounds||1961|
|Williams Grove Speedway||1959|
The incidents which are listed below all happened during races.
|Name||Date of accident||Sanction||Track||Event||Role||Cause|
|Jean Patrick Hein||September 2, 1990||CART||Vancouver street circuit||Molson Indy Vancouver||Track marshal||Pushing Ross Bentley's stalled car out of a chicane area, a group of four track workers jumped into the path of Willy T. Ribbs's racer, which was coming around the corner. Two of them were flung through the air and sustained minor injuries when colliding with the rear of the car. Hein was hit and overrun by the left rear wheel, succumbing to head injuries several hours after being operated on.|
|Gary Avrin||July 14, 1996||CART||Toronto street circuit||Molson Indy Toronto||Track marshal||After Jeff Krosnoff's car had touched wheels with that of Stefan Johansson, it was catapulted into the air and struck Avrin, who was one of several track workers positioned behind the wall lining the track, on its way into the catch fence, where it started to disintegrate on impact, its cockpit coming to a stop against the opposite wall. Both Avrin and Krosnoff died instantly. Another track marshal was slightly injured.|
| Kenneth Dale Fox
Michael Terry Tautkus
Sheryl Ann Laster
|July 26, 1998||CART||Michigan International Speedway||U.S. 500||Spectator||Three spectators were killed, and six others were injured by the right front wheel which flew off the car of Adrián Fernández, who had crashed into the wall on lap 175.|
| Randy D. Pyatte
Dexter B. Mobley
|May 1, 1999||IRL||Charlotte Motor Speedway||VisionAire 500K||Spectator||Three spectators were killed, and eight others, two of whom were children, were injured. On the 61st lap, Stan Wattles crashed in turn four, shearing off both right-side wheels. The car of John Paul Jr. struck one of the wheels, propelling it into the stands. A witness claimed a wheel with suspension pieces flew into the seats.|
- Bisch died on July 6, 1958, two days after his crash.
- Teague was driving a Sumar Special, a canopied car with streamlined fenders.
- Unser died on May 17, 1959, 15 days after his crash.
- Johnson was competing in a Non-Championship race.
- Marshman died on December 3, 1964, six days after his crash.
- Malloy died on May 18, 1972, four days after his crash.
- Savage died on July 2, 1973, 33 days after his crash.
- Hickman died on August 1, 1982, the day following his crash.
- "Driver Killed Testing Car for 500-Mile Race". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. May 16, 1957.
- Liska, Jerry (May 31, 1958). "Pat O'Connor Killed In 15-Car Smashup". Schenectady Gazette. Associated Press.
- "Race Driver Hurt In Crash At Atlanta". Toledo Blade. Associated Press. July 5, 1958.
- "Art Bisch Dies After Operation". Schenectady Gazette. Associated Press. July 7, 1958.
- "Reece Killed In Trenton Crash". Daytona Beach Morning Journal. Associated Press. September 29, 1958.
- "Teague Dies In Daytona Wreck". The Spartanburg Herald. Associated Press. February 12, 1959.
- Kahn, Bernard (February 12, 1959). "Experts Divided On Wreck Cause". Daytona Beach Morning Journal.
- Martin, Whitney (April 5, 1959). "Daytona Track Claims Life Of George Amick". Sunday Independent (St. Petersburg, Florida). Associated Press.
- "Dick Linder Dies in Crash". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. April 20, 1959.
- "Jerry Unser Badly Hurt in Indy Crash". The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. May 3, 1959.
- "Speedway Burns Fatal To Unser". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. May 18, 1959.
- Burgess, Dale (May 20, 1959). "Bob Cortner Dies of Head Injuries Suffered in Indianapolis Practice Run". Youngstown Vindicator. Associated Press.
- "Van Johnson Fatally Hurt In Williams Grove Race". Reading Eagle. Associated Press. July 20, 1959.
- "Driver Killed at Fair Race". Milwaukee Sentinel. August 31, 1959.
- "Crash Claims Jimmy Bryan". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. June 20, 1960.
- "Tony Bettenhausen Dies Testing Friend's Car At Indianapolis Track". The Norwalk Hour. Associated Press. May 13, 1961.
- "Al Keller Dies In Phoenix Race As Jones Wins". Reading Eagle. Associated Press. November 20, 1961.
- "Gamble Proves Costly, Randell [Randall] Killed in Crash". Reading Eagle. United Press International. July 2, 1962.
- "Foyt Wins Indianapolis 500 In Record Time". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. United Press International. May 31, 1964.
- "Eddie Sachs, Rookie Die In 500 Race". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. May 31, 1964.
- "RACE DRIVER DIES IN ILLINOIS CRASH; Horstmeyer Car Burns in Race Won by Foyt". The New York Times. United Press International. August 23, 1964. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013.
- "Bobby Marshman Burned As Auto Crashes Into Wall". St. Petersburg Times. Associated Press. November 28, 1964.
- "Car Crash Burns Claim Marshman". The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. December 4, 1964.
- Burgess, Dale (May 15, 1966). "Indy Auto Racer Fatally Injured". The Gadsden Times. Associated Press.
- "Indy Practice Run Fatal To England's Mike Spence". The Free Lance–Star (Fredericksburg, Virginia). Associated Press. May 8, 1968.
- "Veteran Driver Ronnie Duman Dies After Three-Car Crash". Sarasota Journal. Associated Press. June 10, 1968.
- Britt, Bloys (May 15, 1972). "Bobby Unser Sets Record Time at Indy". Nashua Telegraph. Associated Press.
- "Veteran race driver Jim Malloy dies". Wilmington Morning Star. United Press International. May 19, 1972.
- "Indy-Type Car Crash Claims Life Of Driver". Observer–Reporter (Washington, Pennsylvania). Associated Press. March 13, 1973.
- "Pollard Killed At Indy". The Ledger (Lakeland, Florida). Associated Press. May 13, 1973.
- "Johncock Takes Indy, But Death Rides Again". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. United Press International. May 31, 1973.
- "Swede Savage dies from Indy injuries". Bangor Daily News. Associated Press. July 3, 1973.
- "Indy Driver Smiley Killed In Qualifying At 185 MPH". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Associated Press. May 16, 1982.
- "Indy rookie of the year is 'critical' after crash". The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. August 1, 1982.
- "Indy 500 rookie dead after crash". The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. August 2, 1982.
- Woolford, Dave (May 16, 1992). "Indy 500 rookie driver dies in crash". The Blade (Toledo, Ohio).
- "Indy 500 polesitter killed in crash". Lodi News-Sentinel. Associated Press. May 18, 1996.
- Harris, Mike (July 15, 1996). "Indy driver killed in crash". Lawrence Journal-World. Associated Press.
- "Crash kills Rodriguez at Laguna". Reading Eagle. September 12, 1999.
- "Moore dies in season-ending CART race". Reading Eagle. November 1, 1999.
- Herman, Steve (October 23, 2003). "Indy crash kills Renna". Rome News-Tribune. Associated Press.
- Caldwell, Dave; Nobles, Charlie (March 27, 2006). "I.R.L. Rookie Dies After Prerace Collision". The New York Times. Archived from the original on November 20, 2013.
- "IndyCar driver Wheldon dies in crash". CBC.ca. Associated Press. October 16, 2011. Archived from the original on November 20, 2013.
- "One track worker was critically injured and another broke...". Orlando Sentinel. September 4, 1990. Archived from the original on November 20, 2013.
- "Worker At B.C. Race Dies". The Seattle Times. Associated Press. September 4, 1990. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013.
- Glick, Shav (July 27, 1998). "Three Spectators Die at U.S. 500". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013.
- "Track tragedy revisited. Latest fatal incident raises questions about fan safety". CNN Sports Illustrated. Associated Press. May 2, 1999. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013.
- "Flying debris kills three at IRL race / VisionAire 500 canceled after tragedy". Houston Chronicle. May 2, 1999. Retrieved 2011-12-22.