List of federal judges appointed by Franklin Pierce
Following is a list of all United States federal judges appointed by President Franklin Pierce during his presidency. In total Pierce appointed sixteen federal judges, including one Justice to the Supreme Court of the United States, three judges to the United States circuit courts, and twelve judges to the United States district courts. Pierce was also the first president to appoint judges to the United States Court of Claims.
United States Supreme Court Justices
|John Archibald Campbell||Seat 8||Alabama||March 22, 1853||April 30, 1861|
|Dunlop, JamesJames Dunlop||D.C.||November 27, 1855||March 3, 1863|
|McAllister, Matthew HallMatthew Hall McAllister||California||March 3, 1855||January 12, 1863|
|Merrick, William MatthewWilliam Matthew Merrick||D.C.||December 14, 1855||March 3, 1863|
|DuVal, Thomas HowardThomas Howard DuVal||W.D. Tex.||March 3, 1857||October 10, 1880|
|Giles, William FellWilliam Fell Giles||D. Md.||July 18, 1853||March 21, 1879|
|Humphreys, West HughesWest Hughes Humphreys||E.D. Tenn.
|March 26, 1853||June 26, 1862|
|Ingersoll, Charles A.Charles A. Ingersoll||D. Conn.||April 8, 1853||January 12, 1860|
|Love, James M.James M. Love||D. Iowa.||October 5, 1855||July 2, 1891|
|Magrath, Andrew GordonAndrew Gordon Magrath||D.S.C.||May 12, 1856||November 7, 1860|
|McIntosh, McQueenMcQueen McIntosh||N.D. Fla.||March 11, 1856||January 3, 1861|
|Ogier, Isaac Stockton KeithIsaac Stockton Keith Ogier||S.D. Cal.||January 23, 1854||May 21, 1861|
|Smalley, David AllenDavid Allen Smalley||D. Vt.||February 3, 1857||March 10, 1877|
|Treat, SamuelSamuel Treat||E.D. Mo.||March 3, 1857||March 5, 1887|
|Treat, Jr., Samuel HubbelSamuel Hubbel Treat, Jr.||S.D. Ill.||March 3, 1855||March 27, 1887|
|Willson, Hiram V.Hiram V. Willson||N.D. Ohio||February 20, 1855||November 11, 1866|
United States Court of Claims
|Blackford, Isaac NewtonIsaac Newton Blackford||1855||1859|
|Gilchrist, John JamesJohn James Gilchrist||1855||1858|
|Scarburgh, George ParkerGeorge Parker Scarburgh||1855||1861|
- All information on the names, terms of service, and details of appointment of federal judges is derived from the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public-domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Because of the unique structure of the United States Circuit Court of the District of Columbia, Franklin Pierce's elevation of James Dunlop to chief judge of the Court is considered a separate appointment.
- The United States Circuit Court of the District of Columbia was abolished on March 3, 1863, ending the service of all judges then serving on that court.
- Recess appointment; formally nominated on December 19, 1853, confirmed by the United States Senate on January 11, 1854, and received commission on January 11, 1854.
- Recess appointment; formally nominated on February 7, 1856, confirmed by the United States Senate on February 25, 1856, and received commission on December 21, 1856.
- On July 20, 1882, the District of Iowa was subdivided into the United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa; Love was reassigned by operation of law to the Southern District, where he remained until the end of his service.