List of first black Major League Baseball players by team
Below is a list of the first black players in Major League Baseball by team in chronological order. The Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) strongly suggests that William Edward White may have been the first African-American to play major league baseball (as well as the only former slave), predating Moses Fleetwood Walker by five years; and Jackie Robinson by 68 years.
Major League Baseball specifically drew the Baseball color line specifically against Moses Fleetwood Walker, that also included African-Americans being excluded from major league baseball from 1884 to 1946 (and all of minor league baseball following suit in 1889), with the aforementioned segregation ending with the introduction of Jackie Robinson.
|†||Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame|
- Teams are listed by franchise; i.e., teams that relocated to a new city after already breaking the color line are not listed a second time.
- Expansion teams that joined the National and American Leagues after 1961 have been integrated from their first game and are not listed.
|White, William EdwardWilliam Edward White||Providence Grays, NL||June 21, 1879|
|Walker, Moses FleetwoodMoses Fleetwood Walker||Toledo Blue Stockings, AA||May 1, 1884|
|Walker, WeldyWeldy Walker||Toledo Blue Stockings, AA||July 15, 1884|
|Robinson, JackieJackie Robinson †||Brooklyn Dodgers, NL||April 15, 1947|
|Doby, LarryLarry Doby †||Cleveland Indians, AL||July 5, 1947|
|Thompson, HankHank Thompson||St. Louis Browns, AL||July 17, 1947|
|Irvin, MonteMonte Irvin †||New York Giants, NL||July 8, 1949|
|Thompson, HankHank Thompson||New York Giants, NL||July 8, 1949|
|Jethroe, SamSam Jethroe||Boston Braves, NL||April 18, 1950|
|Miñoso, MinnieMinnie Miñoso||Chicago White Sox, AL||May 1, 1951|
|Trice, BobBob Trice||Philadelphia Athletics, AL||September 13, 1953|
|Banks, ErnieErnie Banks †||Chicago Cubs, NL||September 17, 1953|
|Roberts, CurtCurt Roberts*||Pittsburgh Pirates, NL||April 13, 1954|
|Alston, TomTom Alston||St. Louis Cardinals, NL||April 13, 1954|
|Escalera, NinoNino Escalera||Cincinnati Reds, NL||April 17, 1954|
|Harmon, ChuckChuck Harmon||Cincinnati Reds, NL||April 17, 1954|
|Paula, CarlosCarlos Paula||Washington Senators, AL||September 6, 1954|
|Howard, ElstonElston Howard||New York Yankees, AL||April 14, 1955|
|Kennedy, JohnJohn Kennedy||Philadelphia Phillies, NL||April 22, 1957|
|Virgil, Sr., OzzieOzzie Virgil, Sr.||Detroit Tigers, AL||June 6, 1958|
|Green, PumpsiePumpsie Green||Boston Red Sox, AL||July 21, 1959|
- History of baseball in the United States
- Negro league baseball
- List of Negro League baseball players
- O'Connell, Jack (2007-04-13). "Robinson's many peers follow his lead". MLB.com. Retrieved 2007-10-11.
- Tygiel, Jules (1983), Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy, New York: Oxford University Press, p. 329, ISBN 0195033000