List of football federations
This is a list of international football governing bodies.
- FIFA - Fédération Internationale de Football Association - 209 members - founded in 1904, represents nations from around the world, and is the overall governing body of recognised international football. Its premier tournament is the quadrennial FIFA World Cup.
- NF-Board - New Federation Board - 18 members + 14 provisional - founded in 2003 represents nations, dependencies, unrecognized states, minorities, stateless peoples, regions and micronations not affiliated to FIFA. The main tournament is the VIVA World Cup.
- ConIFA - Confederation of Independent Football Associations - 24 members - founded in 2013 represents nations, dependencies, unrecognized states, minorities and regions not affiliated to FIFA. The main tournament is the ConIFA World Football Cup.
FIFA-member football associations are formed together into continental confederations, which organise continental national and club competitions.
- AFC Asian Football Confederation - 46 members + 1 associate - founded in 1954 - represents Asian nations in football. The main tournament is the Asian Cup.
- CAF Confédération Africaine de Football - 54 members + 2 associate - founded in 1957 - represents African nations in football. The main tournament is the African Cup of Nations.
- CONCACAF Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football - 40 members - founded in 1961 represents North American, Central American and Caribbean nations. The main tournament is the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
- CONMEBOL - Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol - 10 members - founded in 1916 represents South American nations in football. The main tournament is the Copa America.
- OFC - Oceania Football Confederation - 11 members + 5 associate - founded in 1966 represents Oceanian nations in football. The main tournament is the OFC Nations Cup.
- UEFA Union of European Football Associations - 53 members - founded in 1954 represents European nations in football. The main tournament is the UEFA European Championship.
Two continental confederations exist within the NF-Board.
- CSANF - Consejo Sudamericano de Nuevas Federaciones - 4 members + 1 associate - founded in 2007 represents teams not affiliated to FIFA in South America.
- NAANF - North America and Arctic New Federations - 0 members - founded in 2008, represents non-FIFA teams in North America, Central America, Caribbean and in the Arctic region.
The following confederations consist of FIFA member associations that cross continental boundaries.
- GFU Gulf Football Union - 8 members - founded in 1968, represents Arab nations from the Persian Gulf area. The main tournament is the Gulf Cup.
- UAFA Union of Arab Football Associations - 22 members - founded in 1974 represents Arab nations from Africa and Asia. The main tournament is the Arab Nations Cup.
Affiliated to CAF
- CECAFA - Council of East and Central African Football Associations - 10 members + 1 associate - founded in 1927, represents nations generally regarded as forming the regions of East Africa and some nations of Central Africa. The main tournament is the CECAFA Cup.
- COSAFA - Council of Southern African Football Associations - 14 members + 1 associate - founded in 1997, represents nations generally regarded as forming Southern Africa, as well as island states off the coast of Southern Africa. The main tournament is the COSAFA Cup.
- WAFU (UFOA) - Union of West African Football Associations - 8 members - founded in 1977, one of two bodies that represent nations in West Africa. The main tournament is the WAFU Nations Cup.
- UNAF - Union of North African Federations - 5 members - founded in 2005, represents nations regarded as forming North Africa.
- UNIFFAC - Central African Football Federations' Union - 8 members - represents some of the nations that form Central Africa. The main tournament is the CEMAC Cup.
Affiliated to AFC
- WAFF - West Asian Football Federation - 13 members - founded in 2000, represents nations at the western extremity of the continent. The WAFF has six members, but the AFC groups those non members into a single geographical region. The main tournament is West Asian Football Federation Championship.
- EAFF - East Asian Football Federation - 9 members + 1 provisional - founded in 2002 represents nations generally agreed to constitute the "far east". The main tournament is the East Asian Cup.
- CSAFF - Central and South Asian Football Federation - 12 members - represents nations in central Asia and the Indian subcontinent. And is sub-divided in two federations: SAFF and CAFF.
- AFF - ASEAN Football Federation - 12 members - founded in 1984 represents nations from Southeast Asia. The main tournament is the AFF Football Championship.
Affiliated to CONCACAF
- CFU - Caribbean Football Union - 30 members - represents all nations in the Caribbean. The main tournament is the Caribbean Cup.
- LIFA - Leeward Islands Football Association - 11 members - founded in 1949, represents nations of the Leeward archipelago and is affiliated to CFU. The main tournament is the Leeward Islands Tournament.
- WIFA - Windward Islands Football Association - 4 members - represents nations of the Windward archipelago and is affiliated to CFU. The main tournament is the Windward Islands Tournament.
- NAFU - North American Football Union - 3 members - represents the three sovereign nations of North America. The main tournament was the now defunct North American Nations Cup.
- UNCAF Union Centroamericana de Fútbol - 7 members - represents the seven nations of Central America. The main tournament is the UNCAF Nations Cup.
- CCCF - Confederacion Centroamericana y del Caribe de Futbol - 37 members - dissolved in 1961, represented Central America and Caribbean region and was directly affiliated to FIFA. The main tournament was the CCCF Championship.
- CENF - Confederation of European New Federations - 0 members - founded in 2007 and dissolved in 2008, represented teams not affiliated to FIFA in Europe, and was affiliated to NF-Board. The main tournament was the CENF Cup, but was never played.
- FIFI - Federation of International Football Independents - 5 members - represents nations, dependencies and unrecognized states not affiliated to FIFA. The main tournament was the FIFI Wild Cup.
- IFU - International Football Union - 2 provisional members - founded in 2009 as an international football confederation for nations and territories not admitted to FIFA, was dissolved in 2010.
- NAFC - North American Football Confederation - 4 members - founded in 1946 and dissolved in 1961, represented the North American region and was directly affiliated to FIFA. The main tournament was the NAFC Championship.
- PFC Panamerican Football Confederation - 50 members - founded in 1946 represents teams from America. The main tournament is the Panamerican Championship.
- UIAFA - Union Internationale Amateur de Football Association - 3, later 5 members - founded in 1908 and dissolved in 1912. Main tournament was the Amateur European Championship.