List of forests in Israel
In the 19th Century and up to World War I, the Ottoman empire cleared the land of Israel of its natural reserves of pine and oak trees, in order to build railways across the empire. Since it was founded the JNF has planted Israel more than 185 million trees creating 280 forests, and still operates today.
In most countries people are born to forests, and forests are given to them by nature. But here in this country, if you see a tree, it was planted by somebody.—Moshe Rivlin, world chairman of the Jewish National Fund.
- Aminadav Forest – Judean hills near Aminadav
- Canada Forest – Jerusalem corridor
- Eshtaol Forest - near Beit Shemesh
- Gilo Forest – (Gilo neighborhood)
- Jerusalem Forest – (between Givat Shaul neighborhood and Ein Karem)
- Martyrs Forest – (above Moshav Ksalon (Shimshon-Sha'ar HaGai Junction)
- Peace Forest – (below East Talpiot promenade)
- Ramot Forest – (between Ramot neighborhood and Shu'afat)
- Ben Shemen Forest – (east of Ben Shemen youth village)
- Hulda Forest – (Nahshon Junction – Rehovot road) Planned in 1907 by the Jewish National Fund, which brought in a German agronomist, Louis Barish, to manage the project. Restored in 1998.
- Meginim Forest - Gezer region
- Tzora Forest – (between Shimshon and Nahshon Junctions) near Tzora
- Carmel Coast Forest – (Fureidis-Haifa Road)
- Hadera Forest – (near railway station)
- Irron Forest – (Hadera-Megiddo Road)
- Mt. Hurshan – (near Amikam)
- Mt. Shehumit (Har Nahash) - (Kiryat Shmona)
- Ahihud Forest – (Acre-Safed Road near Mt. Gamal)
- Biriya Forest – (Safed-Biriya Road)
- Lower Hanita Forest – (Shlomi-Hanita Road)
- Parod Forest – (Acre-Safed Road, near Kibbutz Parod)
- Baram Forest – (Shlomi-Sasa Road, near Meron Junction)
- Lavi Forest – (Golani Interchange)
- Mt. Turan – (near Golani Interchange-Mitzpe Netofa)
- Segev Forest
- Amatzia woodlands – (near Amatzia)
- Melachim Forest, Shachariya – (between Kiryat Gat and Lakhish Junction)
- Be'eri Forest – (on Road No. 232 near Be'eri from Hodiya Junction (Road No. 232) off Zikim-Karmia Road)
- Lahav Forest – (northern Negev)
- Yatir Forest – (northeast Negev)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Forests in Israel.|
- "CONSERVATION OF BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY IN ISRAEL".
- Mary Elaine Lora (July–August 1990). "Israel: a national passion for trees - includes related information". Business Library. Findarticles.com.
- "Keren Kayemeth LeIsrael Jewish National Fund".
- "JPost | French-language news from Israel, the Middle East & the Jewish World". Fr.jpost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- Seth J. Frantzman. "Walks in the woods, Review of ''Israel's Forest Book,'' Anat Madmony". Jpost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "Misgav Regional Council". Old.misgav.org.il. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "Deep into the forest".