List of forms of racing
List of different forms of racing.
Running is defined in sporting terms as a gait in which at some point all feet are off the ground at the same time. This is in contrast to walking, where one foot is always in contact with the ground. The term running can refer to any of a variety of speeds ranging from jogging to sprinting. Competitive running grew out of religious festivals in various areas. The Tailteann Games, an Irish sporting festival, dates back to 1829 BCE, and is one of the earliest records of competitive running. The origins of the Olympics are shrouded in myth, though the first recorded game took place in 776 BCE.
Orienteering sports combine navigation with a specific method of travel.
- Foot orienteering, navigation using a map and compass while running across unfamiliar terrain along a course with control points.
- Mountain bike orienteering
- Ski orienteering
- Trail orienteering
- Radio orienteering, combines radio direction finding with orienteering skills. Other variations are Fox Oring and Radio Orienteering in a Compact Area.
- Canoe orienteering
- Mounted orienteering
- Rogaining, cross-country navigation between checkpoints in free order within a time frame.
- SportLabyrinth - micro orienteering
- Mountain marathon, mountain navigation while running off road over upland country.
- Car orienteering
- Racewalking, a long-distance athletic event where one foot must be in contact with the ground at all times.
- Track cycling, such as a Points race
- Road bicycle racing, such as the Tour de France
- Mountain biking, where a bicycle is ridden off-road
- BMX (Bicycle Motocross)
- Alpine skiing such as Slalom skiing, Downhill skiing, Giant slalom skiing, Super Giant Slalom skiing, Speed skiing and Snowboarding
- Cross-country skiing
- Bull racing (or Buffalo racing)
- Camel racing
- Greyhound racing
- Sled dog racing, such as the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
- Horse-racing, see also United Kingdom horse-racing and Equestrianism
- Karapan sapi
- Lobster Racing
- Pigeon racing
- Pig racing
- Ostrich racing
- Snail racing
- Turtle Racing
- Zebra Racing
- Air racing
- All-terrain vehicle
- Auto racing (also known as automobile racing or autosport)
- Board track racing
- Drag racing
- Dirt track racing
- Ice racing
- Open wheel racing
- Offroad racing
- Pickup truck racing
- Production car racing
- Rally racing
- Road racing
- Slot car racing
- Sports car racing
- Stock car racing
- Touring car racing
- Truck racing
- Kart racing
- Lawnmower racing
- Motorcycle racing
- Radio-controlled model racing
- Snowmobile racing
- Watercraft (not all are motor-based)
Some races involve multiple modes of transport: