List of free public transport routes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2010)|
This is a list of zero-fare public transport routes, especially limited zero-fare routes within a wider fare-paying network.
- For a list of city-wide zero-fare networks, see Free public transport
- For free public transport for certain types of passenger (while others pay a fare), see Free travel pass
- Adelaide, Australia has free travel on the Glenelg tram between South Terrace and the Hindmarsh Entertainment Centre and between Brighton Road and Jetty Road in Glenelg. A free bi-directional loop route 99C and 99A also operates in the CBD, alongside the 98C and 99A (formerly called the Adelaide Connector), which operated in the CBD and North Adelaide.  In addition, free community bus services operate in the suburbs of Glenelg and Port Adelaide. Many years ago, a city service known as 99B used to ply King William street from North Terrace to South terrace, but this was terminated after the Tram extension.
- Brisbane, Australia has free bus trips around "The Loop" in the CBD on two routes mirroring each other, varying only because of Brisbane's one-way street grid. The service is smaller than that of other cities.
- Manly, New South Wales, Australia – Four routes of free "Hop, Skip & Jump" minibus services throughout the municipality.
- Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia - a free shuttle service operates between the local railway station and the eastern forsehore in the city centre.
- Melbourne in Australia has a free tram around the city center, and a free bus to popular tourist attractions. Both of these connect to other public transport. Free public transport is sometimes offered on major holidays such as Christmas and New Year's Eve.
- Newcastle, New South Wales in Australia has a free bus service that operates in the CBD area between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm.
- Perth, Western Australia has free bus and train trips around the city centre (the "Free Transit Zone"), including three high-frequency Central Area Transit (CAT) bus loops. This is also in Fremantle and recently added in Joondalup.
- Sydney in Australia Free downtown city bus loop, also offers occasional free public transport travel to and from events at particular times, notably New Year's Eve celebrations in Sydney CBD, or to ANZAC War Memorial Services for veterans. The rationale is a mix of traffic reduction and cultural recognition.
- The Sydney council of Willoughby also has a daily free bus loop route that connects the St Leonards railway station with the Artarmon industrial area..
- The same council also has five routes that operate on one different day of the week connecting different suburbs to a convenient shopping centre.
- Ryde City council provides a free local bus service.
- Willoughby, Sydney The Loop - a free bus that operates a different circular route each weekday (Mon-Fri) every 45 minutes.
- Calgary, Canada – Free C-Train light rail transit within the downtown core (the "7th Avenue Free Fare Zone").
- Halifax, Nova Scotia – Free bus route around the downtown area in summer.
- Hradec Králové, Czech Republic – all city buses and trolleybuses between the main train station and the new central bus terminal, since 2008 July 5.
- Calais, France – Free bus called the Balad'in runs from Boulevard La Fayette (or more precicely Jardin-des-Plante, in the town centre) to the beach and back every 10 minutes. Three buses operate on Monday to Saturday from 8.55am and with the last departures at 6.47pm (beach) and 7.02pm (town centre).
- Paris, France has frequent free transport routes that run around the Eurodisney Park and connect to hotels and alternative public transport routes nearby. There is also a free shuttle bus that connects the 'Centre Commercial Belle Epine' to a housing estate owned by Silic (fr:Silic) in the southern district of Orly.
- Tarbes in France offers a year-long free shuttle bus around the city, linking the main spots.
- Marousi, a wealthy northern suburb in Athens, Greece has small municipal bus shuttles (of red colour) which can be used for free by anyone.
- Tirumalai (Tirupati), India – Free buses run by Temple authority to visit the nearby religious centres on the top of the hill.
- Kuala Lumpur - Free buses plying around Kuala Lumpur CBD focusing on tourist spots. Currently run by RapidKL
- George Town, Penang - Free bus operated by Rapid Penang running on from Weld Quay to Komtar every 20 minute
- Penang - Free weekday bus from Sunway City in Seberang Jaya to Bayan Lepas targeting industrial area workforce.
- Dordrecht – bus and ferry, some Saturdays at the end of each year.
- Noordwijk/Oegstgeest – Leiden Transferium – The Hague, express bus, running on weekdays during daytime, free of charge as a test during 2004; it was intended for commuters working in The Hague and living in Leiden or beyond who would otherwise travel by car to the Hague, to promote parking at the Transferium and continuing the journey by bus; the aim was to reduce road traffic congestion between Leiden and The Hague. The test was paid by the province of South Holland. It was discontinued in 2005.
- Renesse (mun. Schouwen-Duiveland), Netherlands – free bus services in the area (in summer only)
- Auckland, New Zealand – a free CBD loop service links the ferry terminus, railway station, universities, theatres, casino, galleries and shopping districts using hybrid electric buses.
- Christchurch, New Zealand – The Shuttle is a zero-fare shuttle service in the inner city.
- Invercargill, New Zealand - previously had various fare free services.
- Moscow, Russia -
- Bus stops near Auchan shopping center are near RightBank (Pravoberezhnaya) street and Sevastopolsky lane. Thus, the buses half-officially are used by local residents and offices and even have unofficial "A" number.
- Stankolit platform area serviced by a variety of free routes because this area is not accessible except by long walking by foot on daytime from November 2002 (tram service terminated, low train service by mornings and everings).
- During Easter Sundays, the Sunday before and after, buses and some trolleys to cemeteries are free but intermidate stops are cancelled unless they are high passengers turnover, park-and-ride stops, or if there is another cemetery (some unique track routes keep all stops). The system is criticised because it strongly lowers service on regular routes and religions. In Zelenograd district with specific: the routes do not change (except discarding peak hours two-stops branch on route 1 and 2) are free to cemetery and to riders originating at cemeteries (because cemeteries are terminus stops at all routes), otherwise requires a fare
- Moscow Oblast
- Trains on Big Circle Railway road are free at most times due to very low traffic (3 to 6 pairs per day), the fare is required only on some stops that transferring with main directions from the Moscow and part on Kazanskaya railway or Yaroslavskaya railway unless the conductor goes in the train (penalty fare does not apply, the cash offices are the exceptions on this road).
- Voronezh, Russia - buses with letter "H" (n) are free to anybody and go by their own network and timetable
- Cardiff, Wales – The Free b free shuttle bus circles the city centre.
- Chester, England - A free bus service operates between the railway station and the city centre
- Greater Manchester, England:
- Bolton Metroshuttle bus services link Bolton railway station, bus station and town centre leisure attractions.
- Manchester Metroshuttle bus services operate every 5 minutes on Route 1 and every 10 minutes on Routes 2 and 3. These busses operate in City Centre of Manchester/Salford between 0700 and 1900. Three different routes connect Piccadilly, Victoria, Oxford Road, Deansgate and Salford Central Railway Stations, Shudehill, Chorlton Street and Piccadilly Gardens Bus and Coach Termini, Metrolink tram stations and NCP Car Parks with other areas of the city.
- Oldham Metroshuttle links Oldham Mumps Metrolink station with the bus station, sports centre and shopping centre.
- Stockport Metroshuttle links Stockport railway station with the bus station, supermarkets and leisure attractions. This service was formerly known as the Stockport Shuttlebus, but was rebranded in line with other zero-fare bus services in Greater Manchester.
- Greenhithe, North Kent - Free bus service to the Bluewater Shopping Centre; users must have a valid train ticket which names Greenhithe railway station.
- Ipswich, England – A free shuttle bus service runs on a circular route around the town centre linking the site of the former County Council headquarters to the replacement building.
- London, England
- Oxford, UK - A 15-seater minibus is run by Geo, an American Immigration Corporation to take passengers on the half-hour journey between Oxford railway station and Campsfield House detention centre near the village of Kidlington and Oxford Airport. It runs every hour, and then every two hours, all afternoon, 7 days a week.
- Reading, Berkshire, England – Free shuttle between Reading railway station and Thames Valley Park
- South Yorkshire, England, in the two locations of Sheffield and Rotherham, zero-fare city/town centre circular routes operate under the FreeBee branding, the first in the city of Sheffield was launched in 2007, and after its success the scheme was rolled out to Rotherham in 2009. Both are funded by Travel South Yorkshire/SYPTE(a member of the Travel South Yorkshire Partnership).
- Southampton, England – City-link bus between Southampton Central railway station, WestQuay shopping Centre and Town Quay for the Isle of Wight Ferries. It is operated for Southampton City Council by Bluestar.
- West Yorkshire, England, four of the larger settlements covered by the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive have Zero-fare bus services which are jointly funded by WY Metro, local councils and private companies. The services are branded either FreeTownBus or FreeCityBus, depending on whether the location is a town or city (Leeds's FreeCityBus service replaced by LeedsCityBus in 2011, which requires fare-paying or multi-journey tickets for travel):
- Bradford - FreeCityBus - a free loop service around the city centre.
- Dewsbury - FreeTownBus - the latest FreeTownBus in West Yorkshire, it was launched in December 2009.
- Huddersfield - FreeTownBus - a free loop around the town centre operated by K-Line Travel
- Wakefield - FreeCityBus - free circular route around the city centre
- Ann Arbor, Michigan – free bus services between University of Michigan campuses and student housing. Note that most large universities provide a similar kind of bus service. The city bus service, the AATA, is free for students, faculty, and staff of the University of Michigan. The AATA also runs a service called "the Link" which runs between downtown and campus area and is currently free (for everyone) to ride. While individual rides are "free," typically students pay a transportation service fee as part of their tuition and fee charges.
- Baltimore, Maryland - Charm City Circulator; 4 routes of up to c. 5 km (3.1 mi) crossing city center in various directions.
- Buffalo, New York – Free Metro Rail transit from Special Events Station to Theater Station.
- Charlottesville, Virginia – A free motorized trolley links the campus of the University of Virginia to the downtown area.
- Dallas, Texas – McKinney Avenue Transit Authority heritage trolley transports riders along a three-mile stretch from downtown to uptown McKinney Avenue seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- Denver, Colorado – Free 16th Street Mall shuttle bus downtown.
- East Palo Alto, California has a free East Palo Alto Community Shuttle
- Hyannis, Massachusetts - CCRTA operates a free shuttle loop on Main Street and many of the downtown beaches during July and August each year.
- Jacksonville, Florida – Jacksonville Transportation Authority operates a free people mover system im Downtown Jacksonville called the Skyway.
- Lancaster, California – Antelope Valley Transit Authority offers free rides to all riders who are senior citizens, disabled, active military, and veterans, on all its local fixed routes buses. (With id)
- Long Beach, California - The "Passport" shuttles are free within the downtown area (west of Alamitos Ave.)
- Maui County, Hawaii, pop 128,000: Maui Bus, on the Kahului and Wailuku Loop, plus the Lahaina Villager Routes.
- Miami, Florida – Miami Metromover is a free people mover in Downtown Miami.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota –
- Monterey County, California - During the summer, the Monterey-Salinas Transit operates four free routes called the "MST Trolley", each one going around the downtown areas of one of the four main cities: Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Salinas.
- Mountain Village, Colorado – Free cable car to Telluride and shuttle bus.
- New York City, USA and vicinity:
- The Staten Island Railway is free of charge to riders originating or terminating at stations other than St. George or Tompkinsville.
- The Staten Island Ferry operates between Whitehall, Manhattan and St. George, Staten Island 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Fare collection ended in 1997.
- The Airtrain at JFK Airport is free within the terminal loop, but requires a fare at the Jamaica and Howard Beach stations.
- The Airtrain at Newark Liberty International Airport is free, except to and from the Amtrak/New Jersey Transit station. In that case, the fare is included in the price of the train ticket. New Jersey Transit monthly pass holders must pay an extra $5.50 to ride AirTrain, unless they set EWR as the source or destination stop for their pass.
- Oakland, California - There is a free Broadway shuttle that operates along Broadway in downtown.
- Palo Alto, California operates two bus lines, the Embarcadero Shuttle and the Crosstown shuttle. Both are free.
- Philadelphia, PA offers free transportation between terminals A through E of Philadelphia International Airport on the SEPTA Airport Line trains, which run every 30 minutes. Transportation on this train into Center City Philadelphia and other destinations is available but requires payment. Transportation between the airport terminals can also be accomplished by using concourses and moving walkways and through two free shuttle bus routes operated by US Airways.
- Phoenix, Arizona - offers the FLASH Forward and FLASH Back routes from Arizona State University around Tempe, Arizona as well as Orbit routes which serve Tempe.
- Pittsburgh, PA offers free public transit within their downtown areas.
- Portland, Oregon – From 1975 until 2010, all transit service was free within "Fareless Square", a 330 square-block zone that encompassed all of downtown Portland, and from 2010 to September 2012 it remained free for light rail and streetcar service (but not buses), renamed the "Free Rail Zone".
- Sacramento, California – A free shuttle is operated between the arrival/departure terminals and the rental car facilities at Sacramento International Airport.
- San Francisco, California - A free shuttle is operated between San Francisco State University and Daly City BART.
- San Jose, California – The Santa Clara VTA runs a free bus in downtown San Jose connecting the San Jose Diridon Station with San Jose State University. This bus is called DASH. There's also a free bus that connects VTA light rail, the Santa Clara Caltrain station, and the San Jose Mineta International Airport. This bus is route 10, called the Free Flyer.
- Savannah, Georgia – Chatham Area Transit operates the dot Express Shuttle on a 12-stop loop throughout the historic district. In addition the city offers the fare free River Street Streetcar and Savannah Belles Ferry to Hutchinson Island.
- Seattle, Washington – Metro Transit buses were free from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm in Downtown Seattle (the "Ride Free Area") until September 29, 2012.
- State College, Pennsylvania – CATA runs four routes that offer bus service between the Penn State campus and downtown State College, an addition to two regional service routes that do not charge fare if they are only traveling across campus.
- Walnut Creek, California - County Connection operates the Route 4, a free shuttle that serves Downtown Walnut Creek.
- Yountville, California - A free shuttle is operated by Napa Vine around Yountville.
- "Free City Services". Adelaide Metro. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Connector Free Bus". Adelaide City Council. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Manly Council
- "Top Ryder Community Bus". City of Ryde. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- FRED the Bus, Accessed July 29, 2014
- Suffolk County Council. "Free shuttle bus". Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- "Reading Station and Town Centre to Thames Valley Park". Retrieved 2007-07-17.
- http://www.mauicounty.gov/bus/ County of Maui, Maui Bus Homepage
- "2009 Transit System Performance Evaluation". Metropolitan Council. 2009.
- Mountain Village, CO - Official Website - Transit & Parking
- http://www.connectonthedot.com/ Savannah Mobility Management, Inc.
- Commute Seattle. "King County Metro Service Changes". Retrieved November 28, 2012.
- King County Metro Transit. "Ride Free Area Elimination". Retrieved November 28, 2012.