List of heritage railways in the Republic of Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some of the main sites include:
- Cavan and Leitrim Railway, County Leitrim
- Clonmacnoise and West Offaly Railway in County Offaly, run by Bord na Móna, near Shannonbridge.
- County Donegal Railways Joint Committee, commemorated by the Donegal Railway Centre in County Donegal, which once had two narrow gauge railway systems.
- Fintown Railway, based in Fintown, it runs along the length of Lough Finn to Glenties Line for about a mile.
- Listowel and Ballybunion Railway, a section of the Lartigue Monorail system has been restored for visitors in Listowel.
- Tralee and Dingle Light Railway, between Tralee and Dingle.
- Waterford & Suir Valley Railway, running a short narrow gauge railway for several miles, along the former mainline route from Waterford to Mallow.
- West Clare Railway, beginning in Ennis.
Preservation groups in Ireland include:
- Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, based in Whitehead, County Antrim in Northern Ireland, runs railtours on the Dublin-Rosslare railway line with "Sea-Breeze" trains, along with Santa specials between Dublin and Maynooth in December. Some restoration work is carried out in the Dublin area and at Mullingar.
- Irish Traction Group, based in Carrick-on-Suir, County Tipperary, has a diesel locomotive collection at the site by the Limerick–Waterford railway route. ITG also run regular railtours around the country, sometimes with older (but still in regular use), Iarnród Éireann locomotives and rolling stock.
- Irish Steam Preservation Society, based in Stradbally, County Laois. Operates the Stradbally Railway with vintage steam and diesel locomotives.
- Conservation in the Republic of Ireland
- List of heritage railways
- List of narrow gauge railways in Ireland
- List of heritage railways in Northern Ireland