List of highways in Essex County, New York
Standard route marker for county routes in Essex County
Map of Essex County's highway system
|Interstates:||Interstate X (I-X)|
|US Routes:||U.S. Route X (US X)|
|State:||New York State Route X (NY X)|
|County:||County Route X (CR X)|
The highway system of Essex County, New York, comprises 1,367.8 miles (2,201.3 km) of roads maintained by the New York State Department of Transportation, the county, and its towns and villages. Eighteen state-maintained highways enter the county, which account for a combined 329.4 miles (530.1 km) of the state highway mileage in New York. The state roads are supplemented by 356.7 miles (574.1 km) of county-maintained highways, most of which serve as collector roads between state highways. Several highways within the borders of the county serve as connections to ferry landings and bridges across Lake Champlain.
Essex County is served by one Interstate Highway, I-87, known locally as the Adirondack Northway. US 9, the only United States Numbered Highway in the county, closely parallels I-87 as both highways head north–south across the county. Essex County is also served by 11 state touring routes and six reference routes, the latter of which are short unsigned connectors. The longest touring route in Essex County is NY 9N, which runs for 67.69 miles (108.94 km) through the county. The county's shortest touring route is NY 373, which runs for 3.20 miles (5.15 km) in the northeastern part of Essex County.
Interstate and US Highways
There is one interstate highway in Essex County, I-87, stretching for 57.23 miles (92.10 km) from the Warren County line near Schroon Lake to the Clinton County line north of Keeseville. The highway was assigned after being built in 1967 to connect Keeseville to the Clinton County line, paralleling the alignment of US 9.
There is one U.S. Route in Essex County, US 9, which runs for 58.99 miles (94.94 km) in two segments. The first, spanning 57.83 miles (93.07 km), enters from Warren County near Schroon Lake before entering Clinton County temporarily. The second, spanning 1.16 miles (1.87 km), stretches from both lines of Clinton County. US 9 was assigned in the area in 1926 along a stagecoach route and has remained virtually unchanged since.
State touring routes
There are 10 state touring routes in Essex county, the longest of which is NY 9N at 67.69 miles (108.94 km), which stretches from the Warren County line near Lake George to the Clinton County line north of Willsboro. The shortest is NY 373, running for 3.20 miles (5.15 km). Some state highways which once entered Essex County have been eliminated entirely, including NY 192 (now part of NY 86), NY 427 and NY 86A (both now part of NY 73); others, like NY 8, still exist but no longer pass through the county. NY 8 was once concurrent with Routes 9N and 22, which continue into Essex County from Warren County, and the route ended in Crown Point at the Vermont border. The northernmost segment of NY 8's former routing through the county is now NY 185.
State reference routes
There are six reference routes in Essex County; a seventh, NY 910L, was redesignated NY 185 on April 4, 2008, as part of a New York State Department of Transportation project to rehabilitate the Champlain Bridge. Around this time, there was an addition to the highway system, with the designation of NY 915K, a short connector leading to exit 33 on the Adirondack Northway. The longest reference route is NY 910M at 0.81 miles (1.30 km), running from John Brown's Grave to NY 73. The other three reference routes are NY 910K (part of the Blue Ridge Road), NY 912T (the shortest reference route, at 0.12 miles (0.19 km), and a connector to NY 373), and NY 913Q, which serves Mount Van Hoevenberg in North Elba.
There are over 60 county routes in Essex County, signed with the pentagonal county highway shields found in most of the state. The first in order is CR 2, also known as Corduroy Road and Creek Road in Ticonderoga; the last is CR 86E, known locally as Saint Huberts Road in Saint Huberts. In Keene, there are five county routes along NY 73 that are former alignments of NY 86A, which previously ran along that alignment.
List of Interstate, US, and state highways
The chart below shows the Interstate, U.S., and state highways that enter or have previously entered Essex County, and the towns they serve or served in order of how the road encounters them. The "Formed" column refers to the date that the route was assigned or extended into the county; likewise, "Removed" refers to the date that the route ceased to exist within the Essex County limits. The measurements given in the "Length" columns refer to a route's length within Essex County.
List of county routes
County routes in Essex County are signed with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices-standard yellow-on-blue pentagon route marker.
|CR 2||9.86||15.87||NY 74 in Ticonderoga||Corduroy and Creek roads||NY 9N / NY 22 / CR 45 in Crown Point|
|CR 3||2.14||3.44||Warren County line||Black Point Road in Ticonderoga||South of Colonial Street|
|CR 4 (1)||15.21||24.48||US 9 in North Hudson||Caza Turn, Ensign Pond, and Dugway roads and Broad Street||Port Henry village line in Moriah|
|CR 4 (2)||0.16||0.26||CR 4 (segment 1)||Caza Turn Road in North Hudson||US 9|
|CR 5||2.86||4.60||CR 77||Baldwin Road in Ticonderoga||Dead end|
|CR 6||8.06||12.97||US 9 in North Hudson||Tracy and Power House roads||CR 79 in Moriah|
|CR 6A||2.88||4.63||CR 70||Silver Hill Road in Moriah||CR 70|
|CR 7||26.23||42.21||NY 9N in Ticonderoga||Vineyard, Bradford Hill, White Church, Moriah,
Center, Plank, Fisher Hill, and Lincoln Pond roads
|NY 9N in Elizabethtown|
|CR 7B||1.46||2.35||CR 7||Bartlett Pond Road in Moriah||Dead end|
|CR 8||7.16||11.52||US 9 in Elizabethtown||Elizabethtown–Wadhams Road||NY 22 in Westport|
|CR 10||12.11||19.49||Cross Street in Elizabethtown||Fox Run and Lewis-Wadhams roads||NY 22 in Westport|
|CR 10A||1.09||1.75||NY 9N||Water Street in Elizabethtown||US 9 / NY 9N|
|CR 11||0.41||0.66||Warren County line (becomes CR 21A)||Trout Brook Road in Ticonderoga||NY 9N|
|CR 12||11.49||18.49||Seventy Road in Lewis||Wells Hill Road, Stowersville Road, and Jersey Street||NY 22 in Essex||Formerly had two discontinuous segments; the western segment was redesignated CR 83|
|CR 13||6.17||9.93||NY 9N||Hurricane Road in Keene||NY 73|
|CR 14||3.68||5.92||US 9 in Lewis||Deerhead Road||CR 57 in Willsboro|
|CR 15||2.66||4.28||Dead end at Augur Lake||Augur Lake Road in Chesterfield||US 9 / NY 22|
|CR 16||3.06||4.92||Keeseville village line||Clinton Street and Port Douglas Road in Chesterfield||Colear Bay Road at Lake Champlain|
|CR 17||2.08||3.35||Keeseville village line||Soper Road in Chesterfield||NY 373|
|CR 18||5.87||9.45||NY 3||River Road in St. Armand||Franklin County line (becomes CR 48)|
|CR 19||3.75||6.04||NY 86||Bonnie View Road in Wilmington||Clinton County line|
|CR 20||0.99||1.59||Franklin County line||Trudeau Road in St. Armand||NY 3|
|CR 21||4.06||6.53||NY 73||River Road in North Elba||NY 86||Designated as the "10th Mountain Division Memorial Trail"|
|CR 23||3.70||5.95||Dead end||Averyville Lane in North Elba||CR 35|
|CR 24||12.82||20.63||CR 30 in Minerva||Irishtown and Hoffman roads||US 9 in Schroon|
|CR 25||9.86||15.87||CR 84||Tahawus and Upper Works roads in Newcomb||Dead end|
|CR 26||2.53||4.07||Dead end near Heaven Hill||Bear Cub Lane in North Elba||CR 35|
|CR 26A||—||Newman Road in North Elba||—|
|CR 27||4.95||7.97||CR 62||Farrell and Point roads in Willsboro||Sabousin Drive|
|CR 28||6.24||10.04||NY 22||Highlands Road in Chesterfield||CR 16|
|CR 29||2.86||4.60||NY 28N||Olmstedville Road in Minerva||Warren County line (becomes CR 19)|
|CR 29A||0.53||0.85||CR 30||Donnelly Road in Minerva||CR 29|
|CR 30||3.96||6.37||Warren County line||Church Road and Morse Memorial Highway in Minerva||NY 28N|
|CR 31||1.48||2.38||NY 86||Whiteface Inn Lane in North Elba||Dead end|
|CR 32||1.62||2.61||NY 86||Raybrook Road in North Elba||NY 86|
|CR 33||2.31||3.72||NY 86||McKenzie Pond Road in North Elba||Saranac Lake village line|
|CR 34||6.63||10.67||CR 29 in Minerva||Trout Brook Road||CR 24 in Schroon||Also known as CR 24B|
|CR 35||3.66||5.89||NY 86||Old Military Road in North Elba||NY 73|
|CR 36||0.54||0.87||NY 28N||Wilson Road in Minerva||CR 30|
|CR 37||3.64||5.86||Bennett Road||14th, Town Shed, Longs Hill, and O'Neil roads in Minerva||CR 24|
|CR 38||0.95||1.53||Warren County line (becomes CR 21A)||New Hague Road in Ticonderoga||Warren County line (becomes CR 21A)|
|CR 39||3.17||5.10||NY 74||Putts Pond Road in Ticonderoga||NY 74|
|CR 40||1.10||1.77||NY 73||Alstead Hill Lane in Keene||Bartlett Road|
|CR 41||0.69||1.11||Washington County line (becomes CR 2)||Lower Road in Ticonderoga||NY 22|
|CR 42||3.97||6.39||CR 4||Windy Hill and Tarbell Hill roads in Moriah||CR 4|
|CR 43||4.17||6.71||NY 9N / NY 22||Shore–Airport Road in Ticonderoga||NY 22 / NY 74|
|CR 44||5.61||9.03||NY 9N in Moriah||Stevenson Road||Washington Street in Westport|
|CR 45||1.36||2.19||NY 9N / NY 22||Sugar Hill Road in Crown Point||NY 9N / NY 22 / CR 2|
|CR 46||2.04||3.28||CR 2||Factoryville Road in Crown Point||NY 9N / NY 22|
|CR 47||4.09||6.58||CR 2||Amy Hill Road and Pearl Street in Crown Point||CR 7|
|CR 48 (1)||3.40||5.47||CR 56||Old Chilson Road in Ticonderoga||NY 9N|
|CR 48 (2)||3.44||5.54||NY 9N / NY 22||Lake Road in Crown Point||NY 185|
|CR 49||2.86||4.60||CR 43||Delano Road in Ticonderoga||NY 22 / NY 74|
|CR 50||2.87||4.62||CR 7||Russell Street in Crown Point||NY 9N / NY 22|
|CR 51||0.96||1.54||NY 73||Gilmore Hill Road in Keene||NY 73|
|CR 52||2.00||3.22||NY 9N||Styles Brook Road in Keene||Upland Meadows Road|
|CR 53||1.26||2.03||CR 10||Cutting Road in Lewis||US 9|
|CR 54||3.21||5.17||CR 7||Pilfershire Road in Moriah||NY 9N|
|CR 55||6.98||11.23||CR 10||Sayre, Walker, and Whallons Bay roads in Essex||CR 80||Also known as CR 22K; discontinuous at the Boquet River|
|CR 56||2.22||3.57||NY 74||Middle Chilson Road in Ticonderoga||NY 74|
|CR 57||1.47||2.37||CR 12 in Essex||Reber Road||CR 14 in Willsboro|
|CR 58||2.81||4.52||CR 83||Valley Road in Jay||CR 82|
|CR 59||2.61||4.20||NY 9N||Youngs Road in Westport||CR 8|
|CR 60||1.92||3.09||NY 9N||Sam Spear Road in Westport||NY 22|
|CR 61||0.26||0.42||CR 14||Maple Street in Willsboro||NY 22|
|CR 62||2.07||3.33||NY 22||Farrell Road in Willsboro||CR 27||Also known as CR 27B|
|CR 63||0.88||1.42||NY 86||Fox Farm Road in Wilmington||CR 83|
|CR 64||5.88||9.46||CR 83||Randys Lane and Stickney Bridge Road in Jay||NY 9N|
|CR 65||2.55||4.10||CR 64||Sheldrake Road in Jay||NY 9N|
|CR 66||6.11||9.83||CR 55 in Essex||Middle Road||NY 22 in Willsboro||Also known as CR 22M|
|CR 67||1.67||2.69||NY 915F near I-87 exit 27||Old Schroon Road in Schroon||US 9|
|CR 68||6.12||9.85||CR 57||Sunset Drive in Willsboro||CR 66|
|CR 69||2.46||3.96||NY 73||Hulls Falls Road in Keene||NY 73|
|CR 70||3.76||6.05||CR 7||Witherbee and Dalton Hill roads in Moriah||CR 7|
|CR 71||5.55||8.93||US 9 / NY 22||Mace Chasm and Old Chasm roads in Chesterfield||NY 373|
|CR 72||4.40||7.08||Franklin County line in St. Armand (becomes CR 48)||Gillespie Drive||NY 431 in Wilmington||Also known as CR 18A|
|CR 75||0.39||0.63||NY 28N||Eaton Lane in Newcomb||CR 84|
|CR 76||0.83||1.34||CR 25||Tahawus Road in Newcomb||End of county maintenance|
|CR 77||1.33||2.14||NY 9N||Alexandria Avenue in Ticonderoga||Lake George Avenue|
|CR 78||3.31||5.33||US 9||Johnson Pond Road in North Hudson||Schroon town line|
|CR 79||0.97||1.56||CR 70||Raymond Wright Way in Moriah||CR 7|
|CR 80||10.32||16.61||NY 22 in Westport||Lake Shore Road and Main Street||NY 22 in Essex||Also known as CR 22J|
|CR 81||0.51||0.82||Franklin County line (becomes CR 55)||St. Regis Street in St. Armand||NY 3||Formerly part of NY 192|
|CR 82||4.12||6.63||CR 85||Glen Road in Jay||NY 9N|
|CR 83||11.03||17.75||NY 9N in Jay||Jay Mountain, Trumbulls, Springfield, and Haselton roads||Clinton County line in Jay|
|CR 84||18.56||29.87||NY 28N in Newcomb||Blue Ridge Road||I-87 in North Hudson (becomes NY 910K)||Also known as CR 2B|
|CR 85||2.58||4.15||NY 9N||Trumbulls Road in Jay||CR 82|
|CR 86A||1.19||1.92||NY 73||Ausable Road in Keene||NY 73||Old alignment of former NY 86A; not signed|
|CR 86B||0.67||1.08||NY 73||Adirondack and Market streets in Keene Valley||NY 73||Old alignment of former NY 86A; not signed|
|CR 86C||0.33||0.53||NY 73||Cemetery Lane in Keene Valley||NY 73||Old alignment of former NY 86A; not signed|
|CR 86D||0.81||1.30||NY 73||Airport Lane in Keene Valley||NY 73||Old alignment of former NY 86A; not signed|
|CR 86E||0.33||0.53||NY 73||Saint Huberts Road in Keene||NY 73||Old alignment of former NY 86A; not signed|
|CR 88 (1)||4.48||7.21||CR 57||Mountain View Drive in Willsboro||NY 22|
|CR 88 (2)||0.25||0.40||CR 88 (segment 1)||Maple Street in Willsboro||NY 22|
- "Statewide Highway Mileage Summary" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. 2010. p. 8. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "2006 Traffic Data Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. July 16, 2007. Retrieved June 30, 2008.
- Lamy, Margaret (May 18, 1966). "Big Gaps Are Being Closed in the Link Between the Thruway and Canada". The New York Times. Retrieved June 30, 2008.
- "Schroon Lake 1804–2004". Adirondack Gold Pages. 2008. Retrieved June 30, 2008.
- United States Department of Agriculture (November 11, 1926). United States System of Highways (Map).
- Sun Oil Company (1935). Road Map & Historical Guide - New York (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company.
- New York State Department of Transportation (January 2012). Official Description of Highway Touring Routes, Bicycling Touring Routes, Scenic Byways, & Commemorative/Memorial Designations in New York State (PDF). Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Jimapco Incorporated (2005). New York State Road Atlas (Map). Cartography by Jimapco Incorporated (1st ed.).
- New York State Department of Transportation (1968). Keene Valley Digital Raster Quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/quads/drg24/dotpreview/index.cfm?code=g48. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "New York's Main Highways Designated by Numbers". The New York Times. December 21, 1924. p. XX9.
- Dickinson, Leon A. (January 12, 1930). "New Signs for State Highways". The New York Times. p. 136.
- "New Scenic State Road". The New York Times. February 23, 1935. p. 11.
- New York State Department of Transportation (January 2009). Official Description of Highway Touring Routes, Bicycling Touring Routes, Scenic Byways, & Commemorative/Memorial Designations in New York State.
- "County Roads Listing – Essex County" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. July 26, 2011. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 6A". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=44.075973&lon=-73.532619&zoom=17&q1=44.08805%2C-73.53588&q2=44.082147%2C-73.555171&q3=44.077399%2C-73.527769. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 7B". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=44.111993&lon=-73.494446&zoom=16&q1=44.093148%2C-73.518608&q2=44.10865%2C-73.502429. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 10A". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=44.218349&lon=-73.599266&zoom=16&q1=44.216396%2C-73.590597&w0=44.22008704472697%2C-73.59754961770629&q2=44.221071%2C-73.609909. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 29A". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=43.777488&lon=-73.925283&zoom=16&q1=43.771925%2C-73.92288&q2=43.77363%2C-73.92494&q3=43.77332%2C-73.931764. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 48S". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=43.871032&lon=-73.502134&zoom=16&q1=43.852714%2C-73.437504&q2=43.868928%2C-73.496469. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 61". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=44.363788&lon=-73.393734&zoom=17&q1=44.361954%2C-73.393283&q2=44.365606%2C-73.394313. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 86A". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=44.151044&lon=-73.772819&zoom=17&q1=44.156948%2C-73.772755&q2=44.151098%2C-73.779213&q3=44.149651%2C-73.774943&q4=44.149389%2C-73.772261&q5=44.150174%2C-73.767712. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 86B". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=44.194725&lon=-73.779453&zoom=16&q1=44.189602%2C-73.786705&q2=44.190617%2C-73.79237&q3=44.191233%2C-73.786534. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 86C". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=44.236034&lon=-73.769325&zoom=16&q1=44.233436%2C-73.779667&q2=44.237833%2C-73.781255. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 86D". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=44.218579&lon=-73.785543&zoom=17&q1=44.208236%2C-73.78814&q2=44.217771%2C-73.789406&q3=44.217925%2C-73.787046. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. "County Route 86E". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=43.952404&lon=-74.063321&zoom=17&q1=43.951516%2C-73.735018&q2=43.948426%2C-74.068685. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Media related to County routes in Essex County, New York at Wikimedia Commons