List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
This list includes constituencies created for the United Kingdom House of Commons used by Irish republicans to elect the First Dáil and those created for the Northern Ireland House of Commons and the House of Commons of Southern Ireland used to elect the Second Dáil. Although only Sinn Féin members took their seats as TDs in the first two Dála, MPs from other parties could have done so if they wished so all constituencies used in 1918 and 1921 are entitled to be included in a list of Dáil Éireann constituencies.
First Dáil (1919–21)
The general election of 1918 (in Ireland) was, in Irish republican theory, to fill the 105 seats in Dáil Éireann for the First Dáil. In practice only the Sinn Féin MPs took their seats as Teachtaí Dála in Dublin. This Dáil first assembled on 21 January 1919 and last met on 10 May 1921. Under a resolution passed at its last meeting the First Dáil was dissolved upon the assembly of the Second Dáil, which took place on 16 August 1921.
However the Oireachtas members database regards the First Dáil as having existed 21 January 1919–10 May 1921.
See list of members of the 1st Dáil.
Second Dáil (1921–22)
The Irish elections, 1921 comprised separate elections in the six counties of Northern Ireland and the twenty-six counties of Southern Ireland. In Irish republican theory, there was one election to fill the 180 seats (52 from Northern Ireland and 128 from Southern Ireland) in the Second Dáil. In practice, only the Sinn Féin MPs took their seats as Teachtaí Dála in Dublin. This Dáil first assembled on 16 August 1921, and last met (at least in the view of the subsequent Irish Free State) on 8 June 1922.
The Second Dáil was not formally dissolved, but following the precedent of 1921, it should perhaps be regarded (from the viewpoint of the Irish Free State) as dissolved upon the assembling of the Third Dáil. The Third Dáil was first summoned to meet on 1 July 1922. It was prorogued on five occasions and eventually met on 9 September 1922.
However the Oireachtas members database regards the Second Dáil as having existed 24 May 1921–16 June 1922.
In republican theory, the Second Dáil continued to exist, and no subsequent Dála were legitimate, as they only represented part of Ireland.
See list of members of the 2nd Dáil.
- 1918–21: The electoral constituencies in Ireland were defined by a United Kingdom Act of Parliament, the Redistribution of Seats (Ireland) Act 1918 (7 & 8 Geo. 5 c. 65). They were used for the 1st Dáil.
- 1921–22: The Government of Ireland Act 1920 (10 & 11 Geo. 5 c. 67) provided for constituencies in both Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland. They were used for the 2nd Dáil. See Government of Ireland Act 1920 (Parliamentary and Dáil constituencies) for fuller details.
- 1922–23: The constituencies in Southern Ireland, provided for in the 1920 Act, continued to be used for the 3rd Dáil. Those in Northern Ireland ceased to be relevant for Dáil elections.
- 1923–37: For the first time Dáil constituencies were established by a purely Irish process. The constituencies defined by the Electoral Act 1923 (No. 12/1923) were used for the 4th to 8th Dála.
- 1937–48: The 1923 Act was amended by the Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act 1935 (No. 5/1935). The new constituencies were used for the 9th to 12th Dála.
- 1948–61: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1947 (No. 31/1947). The new constituencies were used for the 13th to 16th Dála.
- 1961–69: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1961 (No. 19/1961). The new constituencies were used for the 17th and 18th Dála.
- 1969–77: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1969 (No. 3/1969). The new constituencies were used for the 19th and 20th Dála. This was the first redistribution which did not divide constituencies into borough and county seats. To preserve continuity in the tables the seats based upon the cities of Cork and Dublin are treated as if they were borough constituencies and all the other seats are recorded as county ones.
- 1977–81: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1974 (No. 7/1974). The new constituencies were used for the 21st Dáil.
- 1981–92: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1980 (No. 17/1980) and the same constituencies and numbers of seats (with minor boundary changes) were re-enacted by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1983 (No. 36/1983). The new constituencies were used for the 22nd to 24th and 25th to 26th Dála respectively. Constituency names, in Cork and Dublin, ceased to reflect the difference between borough and county constituencies. Some seats combined territory from the Cork or Dublin County Borough and Administrative County areas, although those seats are still treated as borough constituencies for the purpose of the tables.
- 1992–97: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1990 (No. 36/1990). The new constituencies were used for the 27th Dáil.
- 1997–2002: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1995 (No. 21/1995). The new constituencies were used for the 28th Dáil.
- 2002–07: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1998 (No. 19/1998). The new constituencies were used for the 29th Dáil.
- 2007–11: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005 (No. 16/2005). The new constituencies were used for the 30th Dáil.
- 2011–date: There was a redistribution of seats under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 (No. 4/2009). The new constituencies were used for the 31st Dáil.
Summary of Constituencies and Teachta Dála
Key to categories: BC – Borough constituencies, CC – County constituencies, UC – University constituencies, Total C – Total constituencies, BTD – Borough Teachta Dála, CTD – County Teachta Dála, UTD – University Teachta Dála.
Table 1: Constituencies by type
|Period||BC||CC||UC||Total C||BTD||CTD||UTD||Total TDs||Elections|
|1923–1937||3||25||2||30||20||127||6||153||1923, June 1927, Sept. 1927, 1932, 1933|
|1937–1948||5||29||34||22||116||138||1937, 1938, 1943, 1944|
|1948–1961||7||33||40||29||118||147||1948, 1951, 1954, 1957|
|1981–1992||10||31||41||46||120||166||1981, Feb. 1982, Nov. 1982, 1987, 1989|
Table 2: Constituencies by number of seats
|Period||x1||x2||x3||x4||x5||x6||x7||x8||x9||Total C||Total TDs||Elections|
|1923–1937||8||4||9||5||3||1||30||153||1923, June 1927, Sept. 1927, 1932, 1933|
|1937–1948||15||8||8||3||34||138||1937, 1938, 1943, 1944|
|1948–1961||22||9||9||40||147||1948, 1951, 1954, 1957|
|1981–1992||13||13||15||41||166||1981, Feb. 1982, Nov. 1982, 1987, 1989|
List of constituencies
- (1) Constituencies which include all or part of two or more counties are attributed to the first county mentioned in the constituency name or (if none) the predominant county.
- (2) Constituency names are based upon those used in the Oireachtas database of former members, except that borough division names in 1918 and 1997 are not placed in brackets. These names are sometimes not identical to those used in electoral legislation, i.e. compass points always follow the county or borough name in the database.
- (3) The official designation of borough and county constituencies ended in 1969. After that time constituencies which included more than a small part of the county boroughs of Cork and Dublin are referred to as borough constituencies in this article, to preserve the continuity of the tables.
|Belfast St. Anne's||borough||Antrim||1918||1921||1|
|Carlow–Kildare||county||Carlow / Kildare||1937||1948||4|
|Carlow–Kilkenny||county||Carlow / Kilkenny||1921||1937||4,5|
|Carlow–Kilkenny||county||Carlow / Kilkenny||1948||next||5|
|Cavan–Monaghan||county||Cavan / Monaghan||1977||next||5|
|Clare–Galway South||county||Clare / Galway||1969||1977||3|
|Cork City North–West||borough||Cork||1969||1977||3|
|Cork City South–East||borough||Cork||1969||1977||3|
|Cork East and North East||county||Cork||1921||1923||3|
|Cork Mid, North, South,
South East and West
|Cork North East||county||Cork||1918||1921||1|
|Cork South East||county||Cork||1918||1921||1|
|Donegal–Leitrim||county||Donegal / Leitrim||1969||1977||3|
|Dublin College Green||borough||Dublin||1918||1921||1|
|Dublin County Mid||county||Dublin||1977||1981||3|
|Dublin County North||county||Dublin||1969||1981||4,3|
|Dublin County South||county||Dublin||1969||1981||3|
|Dublin County West||county||Dublin||1977||1981||3|
|Dublin Rathmines West||borough||Dublin||1977||1981||3|
|Dublin South||bc, cc||Dublin||1981||next||5|
|Dublin St. James's||borough||Dublin||1918||1921||1|
|Dublin St. Michan's||borough||Dublin||1918||1921||1|
|Dublin St. Patrick's||borough||Dublin||1918||1921||1|
|Dublin St. Stephen's Green||borough||Dublin||1918||1921||1|
|University of Dublin||university||Universities||1918||1937||2,4,3|
|Dublin West||bc, cc||Dublin||1981||next||5,4,3,4|
|Dún Laoghaire and Rathdown||borough||Dublin||1948||1977||3,4|
|Fermanagh and Tyrone||county||Fermanagh / Tyrone||1921||1922||8|
|Kerry–Limerick West||county||Kerry / Limerick||1921||1923||8|
|Kerry North–West Limerick||county||Kerry||2011||next||3|
|Kildare–Wicklow||county||Kildare / Wicklow||1921||1923||5|
|Laoighis–Offaly||county||Laois / Offaly||1961||2007||5|
|Laois–Offaly||county||Laois / Offaly||2007||next||5|
|Leitrim–Roscommon North||county||Leitrim / Roscommon||1921||1923||4|
|Leitrim–Sligo||county||Leitrim / Sligo||1923||1937||7|
|Leix–Offaly||county||Laois / Offaly||1921||1961||4,5|
|Limerick City–Limerick East||county||Limerick||1921||1923||4|
|Longford–Roscommon||county||Longford / Roscommon||1992||2007||4|
|Longford–Westmeath||county||Longford / Westmeath||1921||1937||4,5|
|Longford–Westmeath||county||Longford / Westmeath||1948||1992||5,4|
|Longford–Westmeath||county||Longford / Westmeath||2007||next||4|
|Louth–Meath||county||Louth / Meath||1921||1923||5|
|Mayo North and West||county||Mayo||1921||1923||4|
|Mayo South–Roscommon South||county||Mayo / Roscommon||1921||1923||4|
|Meath–Westmeath||county||Meath / Westmeath||1937||1948||5|
|National University of Ireland||university||Universities||1918||1937||1,4,3|
|Queen's University of Belfast||university||Universities||1918||1922||1,4|
|Roscommon–Leitrim||county||Roscommon / Leitrim||1969||1981||3|
|Roscommon–South Leitrim||county||Roscommon / Leitrim||2007||next||3|
|Sligo–Leitrim||county||Sligo / Leitrim||1948||2007||5,4,3,4|
|Sligo–North Leitrim||county||Sligo / Leitrim||2007||date||3|
|Sligo–Mayo East||county||Sligo / Mayo||1921||1923||5|
|Tipperary Mid, North and South||county||Tipperary||1921||1923||4|
|Tyrone North East||county||Tyrone||1918||1921||1|
|Tyrone North West||county||Tyrone||1918||1921||1|
|Waterford–Tipperary East||county||Waterford / Tipperary||1921||1923||5|
- Seats figures from 1921 and 1923. Carlow–Kilkenny; Donegal; Dublin South; Galway; Leix–Offaly; Longford–Westmeath.
- Seats figures from 1921, 1923 and 1961. Cavan.
- Seats figures from 1921, 1923, 1948, 1969 and 1981. Clare.
- Seats figures from 1921, 1923, 1937 and 1948. Cork Borough.
- Seats figures from 1961 and 1977. Cork Mid.
- Seats figures from 1923, 1937 and 1948. Cork North; Roscommon.
- Seats figures from 1981 and 2007. Cork North Central.
- Seats figures from 1961 and 1969. Cork North East.
- Seats figures from 1923 and 1948. Cork West; Mayo South.
- Seats figures from 1981 and 1992. Dublin Central; Dublin North.
- Seats figures from 1921, 1923, 1937, 1948 and 1961. Dublin County.
- Seats figures from 1969 and 1977. Dublin County North.
- Seats figures from 2002 and 2007. Dublin Mid West.
- Seats figures from 1948, 1961, 1977, 1981 and 2007. Dublin North Central.
- Seats figures from 1937, 1948 and 1969. Dublin North East; Dublin North West.
- Seats figures from 1981 and 2002. Dublin North East; Dublin North West.
- Seat changed from borough constituency to county constituency 1992. Dublin South; Dublin West.
- Seats figures from 1948, 1969, 1977, 1981, 1992 and 2002. Dublin South Central.
- Seats figures from 1948 and 1981. Dublin South East; Limerick East.
- Seats figures from 1948 and 1969. Dublin South West.
- Seats figures from 1981, 1992 and 2002. Dublin South West; Dublin West.
- Seats figures from 1918, 1921 and 1923. Dublin University; National University of Ireland.
- Seats figures from 1977, 1981 and 2011. Dún Laoghaire.
- Seats figures from 1948 and 1961. Dún Laoghaire and Rathdown; Longford Westmeath.
- Seats figures from 1977, 1981 and 1997. Galway East.
- Seats figures from 1937, 1977 and 1981. Galway West.
- Seats figures from 1937 and 1961. Kerry North.
- Seats figures from 1948, 1961, 1969 and 1981. Kildare.
- Seats figures from 1997 and 2007. Kildare North.
- Seats figures from 1923, 1977 and 2011. Louth.
- Seats figures from 1923 and 1937. Mayo North.
- Seats figures from 1948, 1977 and 1981. Meath.
- Seats figures from 1918 and 1921. Queen's University of Belfast.
- Seats figures from 1948, 1961, 1969 and 1981. Sligo–Leitrim.
- Seats figures from 1948, 1977, 1981 and 1997. Tipperary South.
- Seats figures from 1923, 1961 and 1977. Waterford.
- Seats figures from 1921, 1923, 1961 and 1981. Wexford.
- Seats figures from 1923, 1981 and 1992. Wicklow.
- Parliamentary Election Results in Ireland, 1801-1922, edited by B.M. Walker (Royal Irish Academy 1978)
- Northern Ireland Parliamentary Election Results 1921-1972, compiled and edited by Sydney Elliott (Political Reference Publications 1973)