List of independent schools in Scotland
The following is a partial list of currently operating independent schools in Scotland. They are referred to as "private schools" in Scotland, common with most of the English-speaking world. The term "public school", used in England to refer to these independently operating schools, is not used in Scotland.
Many of the schools are perceived to be heavily influenced by the culture, practices and ethos of English private, or "public", schools. James Robertson, author, described Glenalmond College as "a Scottish boarding school modelled on the English public school system". The perceived English influence in many of these schools was such that in 1887 one author referred to them as "English schools".
List of schools
- Basil Paterson College
- Cargilfield Preparatory School
- Clifton Hall School
- Dunedin School
- The Edinburgh Academy
- Edinburgh Montessori Arts School
- Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools
- Fettes College
- George Heriot's School
- George Watson's College
- Harmeny School
- Mannafields Christian School
- Merchiston Castle School
- Regius Christian School
- The Royal Blind School
- Rudolf Steiner School of Edinburgh
- St. George's School for Girls
- St. Mary's Music School
- Belmont House School, Newton Mearns
- Craigholme School, Pollockshields
- Fernhill School, Rutherglen
- Glasgow Steiner School, Yorkhill
- Hutchesons' Grammar School, Pollokshields
- Kelvinside Academy, Kelvinside
- The Glasgow Academy, Kelvinbridge
- The High School of Glasgow, Anniesland
- St. Aloysius' College Garnethill
- Daldorch House School, Catrine
- Geilsland School, Beith
- St. Mary's Preparatory School, Melrose
- Wellington School, Ayr
The Schools below are ranked in fees. The schools are ranked here by day school pupil fees for 2010/11 and boarding fees are given where applicable. Membership of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC) is indicated, as well as the curriculum followed by the school: English (i.e. GCSEs, A-levels), Scottish (i.e. Standard Grades/Intermediates, Highers, Advanced Highers), Mixed English and Scottish, or International Baccalaureate (IB).
|School||Day fees||Boarder fees||Curriculum||HMC|
|5||Merchiston Castle School||£17,460||£24,120||English||Yes|
|10||The Glasgow Academy||£10,250||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|11||St. George's School, Edinburgh||£10,110||£20,130||Mixed||Yes|
|14||St. Leonards School, St. Andrews||£9,807||£23,346||I.B.||No|
|15||George Watson's College, Edinburgh||£9,426||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|16||The High School of Dundee||£9,141||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|17||St. Margaret's School for Girls, Aberdeen||£9,069||n/a||Scottish||No|
|18||Belmont House School||£9,045||n/a||Scottish||No|
|19||Morrison's Academy, Crieff||£8,973||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|20||Albyn School, Aberdeen||£8,960||n/a||Scottish||No|
|21||Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen||£10,750||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|22||The High School of Glasgow||£8,883||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|24||Beaconhurst School, Bridge of Allan||£8,706||n/a||Scottish||No|
|25||Craigholme School, Glasgow||£8,634||n/a||Scottish||No|
|26||Mary Erskine School, Edinburgh||£9,726||£19,512||Scottish||Yes|
|Stewart's Melville College, Edinburgh|
|29||Hutcheson's Grammar School, Glasgow||£8,411||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|30||Clifton Hall School, Edinburgh||£8,400||n/a||Scottish||No|
|31||St. Columba's, Kilmacolm||£8,260||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|32||Fernhill School, Glasgow||£8,188||n/a||Scottish||No|
|33||St. Aloysius' College, Glasgow||£8,568||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
The following table ranks the schools by performance in the 2008 round of Scottish Qualifications Authority examinations according to the percentage of A/B grades achieved at Higher level according to The Times newspaper. The percentage of 1 grades at Standard Grade and A grades at Intermediate 2 are also provided. As indicated above, some independent schools in Scotland follow the English curriculum or offer the International Baccalaureate.
|School||A/B Highers (%)||1/A SG/Int2 (%)||HMC|
|2||St Mary's Music School||77.6||73||No|
|3||George Heriot's School||76.7||69.2||Yes|
|4||The High School of Glasgow||75.7||78.4||Yes|
|6||Mary Erskine School||74.1||70.7||Yes|
|7||Hutchesons' Grammar School||73.6||71.8||Yes|
|8||St Margaret's School for Girls, Aberdeen||73.2||65||No|
|11||The High School of Dundee||72.6||65.9||Yes|
Higher and Standard Grade/Intermediate 2 Results
Here, schools following the Scottish exam curriculum are ranked according to the percentage of Highers achieved in 2009 at A/B, as recorded in The Times.
|School||A/B Higher (%)||1/A Standard Grade/Int 2 (%)|
|1||George Heriot's School||79.7||71.3|
|2||St George's School for Girls||77.9||62.6|
|4||Hutchesons' Grammar School||76.1||73.7|
|5||St Columba's School||76.1||72.2|
|6||The High School of Glasgow||75.7||80.4|
|8||The Glasgow Academy||73.6||66.2|
|9||Stewart's Melville College||73.3||68.9|
|10||The Mary Erskine School||73.1||75.2|
|11||High School of Dundee||72.6||73.3|
|12||St Margaret's School for Girls, Aberdeen||71.7||62.8|
|13||St Aloysius' College||71.2||65.5|
|14||George Watson's College||70.9||68.1|
|18||Robert Gordon's College||68||65.9|
|24||St Margaret's School, Edinburgh||61.2||29.8|
|25||The Edinburgh Rudolf Steiner School||60.5||40|
|27||Belmont House School||46.2||23.1|
|28||Queen Victoria School||37.1||41.4|
Results of English Qualifications
The below schools follow the English exam curriculum, and are ranked according to the percentage of A-levels achieved at A*/A, as recorded in The Telegraph.
|School||A/A* A-level (%)||A/A* GCSE (%)||HMC|
|1||Merchiston Castle School||63.3||60.3||Yes|
|3||Strathallan School||47.0||(No data)||Yes|
|5||St Leonards School||43.2||45.4||No|
|6||The Edinburgh Academy||36.5||47.6||Yes|
- List of schools in Scotland
- Education in Scotland
- List of UK Independent Schools
- List of the oldest schools in the United Kingdom
- Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education
- The website UK Schools & Colleges Database lists currently operating state (and some independent) schools by Local Education Authority and also links to websites of individual schools where available.
- Scottish Schools Online Contact information and attainment data for independent Scottish schools.
- James Campbell, A life in writing: James Robertson, The Guardian, 14 August 2010
- Christina Blackie, Geographical Etymology: A Dictionary of Place-names Giving Their Derivations (1887), John Murray, 1887, at page vi
- "The Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference". Hmc.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fees — Fettes College". Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "Strathallan School: Fees". Strathallan.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Dollar Academy, Fees".
- "Kilgraston School on isbi schools". Isbi.com. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fees". Kelvinside Academy. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fees". Glasgow Academy. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- St. George's School, Edinburgh: Fees[dead link]
- "Fees". Edinburgh Academy. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fees ~ 2006/2007" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "George Watson's: Fees". Gwc.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- The High School of Dundee: Fees[dead link]
- St. Margaret's, Aberdeen: Fees
- Belmont House School: Fees[dead link]
- "Morrison's Academy: Fees". Morrisonsacademy.org. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- Albyn School: Fees[dead link]
- "Robert Gordon's, Aberdeen: Fees". Rgc.aberdeen.sch.uk. 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- The High School of Glasgow: Fees[dead link]
- "George Heriot's: Fees". George-heriots.com. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Beaconhurst School" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Craigholme School: Fees". Craigholme.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools: Fees". Esms.edin.sch.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fees". Lomond School. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Hutchesons' Grammar School: Fees". Hutchesons.org. 2011-06-30. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Clifton Hall School: Fees". Cliftonhall.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "St Columba's, Kilmacolm on isbi schools". Isbi.com. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fernhill School: Fees". fernhillschool.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "St. Aloysius': Fees". Staloysius.org. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Hamilton College: Fees" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- Parent Power 2008 | Scottish independent secondaries[dead link]
- | GCSE Results 2011 | lastaccessed=2011-09-23
- | Strathallen - Academic Results