List of islands of the British Isles
This page is a list of the larger islands that form the British Isles, listing area and population data. The total area of the islands is 315,134 km². Great Britain and Ireland between them account for 95.6% of this area, leaving 4.4% or an area of 13,950 km² of the remaining islands. The largest of the other islands are to be found in the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland to the north, Anglesey and the Isle of Man between Great Britain and Ireland, and the Bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey in the Channel Islands, however these specific islands are geographically part of mainland continental Europe, as they are positioned off the French coast of Normandy and therefore the description of The "British Isles" as a geographic archipelago is incorrect and in part has resulted in the British Isles naming dispute.
Number of permanently inhabited islands (besides the two main islands):
- Scotland: 97 (of these, 4 had only a sole permanent occupant as of the 2001 census, another 20 had a permanent population between 2 and 10)
- England: 19
- Northern Ireland: 1
- Bailiwick of Guernsey: 6 (of which Jethou is privately leased)
- Bailiwick of Jersey: 1
- Wales: 6
- Ireland: 5
- Isle of Man: 2 (the Calf of Man has two permanent inhabitants)
The Bailiwick of Guernsey, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Isle of Man are British Crown Dependencies, while Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland are constituent countries of the United Kingdom.
|Great Britain||216,777||57,000,000||United Kingdom (England, Scotland & Wales)|
|Ireland||84,406||6,000,000||Republic of Ireland & United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)|
- British Isles
- List of islands of England
- List of islands of the Bailiwick of Guernsey
- List of islands of Ireland
- List of islands of the Bailiwick of Jersey
- List of islands of the Isle of Man
- List of islands of Scotland
- List of islands of Wales
- List of islands in the Atlantic Ocean
- Approximate population figure
- Population figures are from 2001 Census, except: Isle of Portland from 2005; Achill, Gorumna, Isle of Man, Jersey all from 2006.
- General Register Office for Scotland – Statistics for Inhabited Islands[dead link]
- Isle of Man Census 2006 (excluding the population of 2 living on the Calf of Man)
- National Statistics – Isle of Wight (Local Authority). Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.
- Census 2006 – Table 11 – Population of Inhabited Islands off the Coast (PDF)
- Jersey Statistics Unit[dead link]
- National Statistics – Leysdown and Warden (Ward), Minster Cliffs (Ward), Queenborough and Halfway (Ward), Sheerness East (Ward), Sheerness West (Ward) and Sheppey Central (Ward)
- States of Guernsey – Facts and Figures Booklet 2007 (excluding the parish of Herm and Jethou)
- National Statistics – Hayling East (Ward) and Hayling West (Ward)
- National Statistics – Canvey Island Central (Ward), East (Ward), North (Ward), South (Ward), West (Ward) and Winter Gardens (Ward)
- National Statistics – West Mersea CP (Parish) and East Mersea CP (Parish)
- National Statistics – Walney North (Ward) and Walney South (Ward)
- Alderney Census Report 2001
- National Statistics – St. Mary's (Ward). Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.
- National Statistics – West Thorney CP (Parish). Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.
- Article on Bardsey Island residents. Guardian. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.