List of isthmuses
An isthmus (// or //; plural: isthmuses; from Ancient Greek: ἰσθμός isthmos "neck") is a narrow strip of land connecting two larger land areas, usually with water on either side. A tombolo is an isthmus where the strip of land consists of a spit or bar.
Canals are often built across isthmuses, where they may be a particularly advantageous short cut for marine transport. The Panama Canal crosses the Isthmus of Panama, connecting the North Atlantic and Pacific Oceans; the Suez Canal connects the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean, cutting across the western side of an isthmus formed by the Sinai Peninsula. An example in the United Kingdom is the Crinan Canal, which crosses the isthmus between Loch Crinan and Loch Gilp, which connects the Kintyre peninsula with the rest of Scotland.
A strait is the sea counterpart of isthmus.
- 1 Africa
- 2 Americas
- 3 Asia
- 4 Europe
- 5 Oceania
- 6 See also
- 7 Notes
- Isthmus of Mansheya which developed around the man-made Heptastadion connecting the island of Pharos to mainland Alexandria
- Istmo Carlos Ameghino, Province of Chubut
- Quetrihué Isthmus of Quetrihué Peninsula in Nahuel Huapi Lake
British Overseas Territories
- Isthmus of East Falkland
French Overseas Collectivity
- Isthmus of La Dune
- Coronado, California
- Isthmus of Catalina Island
- Isthmus near Fidalgo Island
- Madison Isthmus
- Seattle, Washington
- Point Peninsula, New York
- The Caucasus region connecting Europe to Asia between the Black Sea and Caspian Sea is sometimes considered an isthmus.
- The Isthmus of Kra connecting Malay Peninsula with the mainland of Asia located in southern Thailand.
- The Sinai Peninsula forms the Isthmus of Suez between the Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea and also forms the Asian border area towards Africa.
- The central area of Kushimoto town in the Wakayama prefecture of Japan is located on a narrow isthmus, surrounded on both sides by the Pacific Ocean.
- Metro Manila in the Philippines is situated on an isthmus.
- Isthmus of Catanzaro, the narrowest part of Italy
- Isthmus of Corinth, which connects the Peloponnese peninsula to the rest of Greece
- Isthmus of Gibraltar
- Isthmus of Potidea, connecting the Kassandra peninsula with the mainland of Greece
- isthmus of Ierapetra, connects the north coast to south coast of the island and is the narrowest part of Crete.
- Karelian Isthmus between Lake Ladoga and the Baltic Sea (Gulf of Finland)
- Olonets Isthmus between Lake Onega and Lake Ladoga
- Onega Isthmus between Lake Onega and the White Sea (Onega Bay)
United Kingdom and British islands
- Bardsey Island
- La Coupée isthmus in Sark, Channel Islands
- Forth-Clyde isthmus in Scotland
- The isthmus connecting Langness Peninsula, Isle of Man, to the rest of the island
- Mavis Grind isthmus in Shetland
- The isthmus connecting the Isle of Portland to the mainland
- Rhins of Galloway isthmus in Wigtownshire (where Stranraer is situated), Scotland
- Tarbert is the name of several places at isthmuses in Scotland and Ireland. The translation from Old Irish is isthmus or portage-place ("across carry").
- The Isthmus connecting The outskirts of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis to Point Peninsula, Scotland
- Hugh Town is located on an isthmus in the Isles of Scilly
- Eaglehawk Neck near Port Arthur, Tasmania
- The Neck in Bruny Island, Tasmania connecting North and South Bruny
- Yanakie Isthmus, connects Wilsons Promontory to mainland Victoria
- Barrenjoey Headland, New South Wales.
- Auckland isthmus between Northland Peninsula and the rest of New Zealand's North Island
- Rongotai isthmus, location of Wellington International Airport
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isthmi.|