List of massacres in South Africa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Mfecane / Difaqane||1818-1828||Highveld and Natal south of the Tugela||Estimated 1 to 1,5 million bantu||The mfecane / difaqane was ordered by Shaka, a Zulu chieftain. |
|The Van Rensburg Trek massacre||JUL 1836||Inhambane||Entire Trek Party, except 2 children||The massacre was ordered by Manukosi, a chieftain. Johannes Jacobus Janse (Lang Hans) van Rensburg, leader of one of the early Voortrekker treks and his entire trek, except two children saved by a Zulu warrior, were massacred by an impi of Manukosi.  Included in the party was Nicholaas Balthasar Prinsloo, his wife, Petronella Maria Krugel/Kruger and their family. |
|Piet Retief Trek Delegation massacre||1838-02-06||Hloma mabuto, uMgungundlovu||100 Boers and servants||The massacre was ordered by Dingane, a Zulu chieftain. Voortrekker leader Piet Retief was killed last. The treaty handing over a tract of land to the Voortrekkers signed between Dingane and Piet Retief two days before the massacre was later found on Retief's remains. A copy of the original still exists.|
|Weenen massacre||1838-02-17||Doringkop, Bloukrans River, Moordspruit, Rensburgspruit and other sites around present day Weenen, Natal||532 Boer men, woman and children||The Piet Retief Massacre and the Weenen Massacre was the motivation for the Voortrekkers to confront the Zulus in battle on 16 December 1838 when 470 Voortrekkers fought against an estimated 15000 to 21000 Zulus; which the Voortrekkers won. The battle is known as The Battle of Bloodriver.|
|Leliefontein massacre||1902-01-31||Northern Cape, South Africa||35|
|Rand Rebellion||1922-03-08 to
|Durban Riot||1949-01-13 to
|Church Street bombing||1983-05-20||Church Street West, Pretoria, Transvaal at 16:28||17 men, 2 women (8 black, 9 white).|
|Johannesburg Magistrate's Court bombing||1987-05-20||Johannesburg, Transvaal||3 killed, 4 injured||Limpet mine attack, then car bomb attack half an hour later.|
|Bisho massacre||1992-09-07||Bisho, Ciskei||29|
|Saint James Church massacre||1993-07-25||Kenilworth, Cape Town||11|
|Shell House massacre||1994-03-28||Johannesburg||19-53|
|Sizzlers massacre||2003-01-20||Sea Point, Cape Town||9, 1 injured||The victims were murdered at a gay massage parlour on Graham Road by Adam Roy Woest and Trevor Basil Theys. Judge Nathan Erasmus described it as the "worst massacre that Cape Town and the country have ever seen".|
|Marikana massacre||2012-08-16||Lonmin Mine, Marikana||34|
- Ransford, Oliver. The Great Trek. John Murray. Great Britain. 1972.
- https://www.geni.com/people/Nicolaas-Balthasaar-Prinsloo/6000000003356184701?through=6000000023950718175. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- Theal, George McCall (1886). Boers and Bantu: a history of the wanderings and wars of the emigrant farmers from their leaving the Cape Colony to the overthrow of Dingan. Cape Town: Saul Solomon. p. 106.
- Van der Hoogt, Cornelius W; White, Montagu (1900). "The founding of Natal". The story of the Boers : narrated by their own leaders: prepared under the authority of the South African Republics. New York: Bradley. p. 86. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- Johnston, Harry Hamilton (1910). Britain across the seas: Africa; a history and description of the British Empire in Africa. London: National Society's Depository. p. 111.