List of current heads of state and government
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
This is a list of current heads of state and government, showing heads of state and heads of government where different, mainly in parliamentary systems; often a leader is both in presidential systems. Some states have semi-presidential systems where the head of government role is fulfilled by both the listed head of government and the head of state.
The list includes the names of the recently elected or appointed heads of state who will take office on an appointed date.
Member states and observers of the United Nations
- Legend: Names in small font generally denote acting, transitional, temporary leaders or representatives. Other notes and exceptions are provided in the References section below.
Governments with limited recognition
These alternative governments control part of their claimed territories. They are also recognized as a sovereign state by at least one UN member.
- List of current foreign ministers
- List of current presidents of assembly
- List of current vice presidents
- List of current dependent territory leaders
- List of elected or appointed female heads of government
- List of elected or appointed female heads of state
- Lists of office-holders
- List of current state leaders by date of assumption of office
- List of current longest ruling non-royal national leaders
- List of longest-ruling non-royal national leaders since 1900
- Lists of state leaders by year
- List of state leaders in 2014
- Lists of state leaders
- List of current Permanent Representatives to the United Nations
- List of countries by system of government
- List of leaders of dependent territories
- The President of France and the French Co-Prince of Andorra are positions held by the same person
- Queen Elizabeth II is separately and equally monarch of 16 sovereign states and 2 associated states sometimes known collectively as the Commonwealth realms. In each of these countries, with the exception of the United Kingdom (where she predominantly resides), she is represented by a governor-general (unhyphenated in Canada as "governor general" and known in the Cook Islands as the "Queen's Representative") at the national level. In some of these countries, opinion differs as to whether the Queen or governor-general should be designated as head of state; there is no questioning of the Queen's position as sovereign, above the governors-general, however.
- The Governor-General of New Zealand and the Governor-General of Niue are positions held by the same person.
- States in free association with New Zealand.
- The three-member presidency is the head of state collectively.
- The Preface to the Constitution of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea states, "The DPRK and the entire Korean people will uphold the great leader Comrade Kim Il-sung as the eternal President of the Republic, defend and carry forward his ideas and exploits and complete the Juche revolution under the leadership of the Workers' Party of Korea." Kim Il-sung died in 1994.
- The seven-member Swiss Federal Council is the collective Head of State and the government of the Swiss Confederation. Within the Council, the President of the Swiss Confederation serves solely in a primus inter pares capacity for one year.
- United Nations list of heads of state, heads of government and foreign ministers
- Rulers.org List of rulers throughout time and places
- List of official websites for heads of state