List of protected areas of Malawi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of national parks of Malawi)
There are nine National Parks and Reserves in Malawi.
- Nyika National Park — the first (certified in 1965), the largest (over 3,000 km²) and the highest (average height 1,800 m)
- Kasungu National Park — situated approximately 165 km north of the capital city, Lilongwe, this is, at over 2,000 km², the second largest of Malawi's parks
- Lake Malawi National Park — designated a National Park in 1980 to protect the unique diversity of tropical fish living in Lake Malawi, some not found anywhere else on earth
- Liwonde National Park — situated 120 km north of Blantyre, on the banks of the Upper Shire River.
- Lengwe National Park — most famed for the nyala antelope, not found in the other northern parks of Malawi
Game and wildlife reserves
- Majete Wildlife Reserve — in the South West of Malawi, with an area of 691 km²
- Mwabvi Wildlife Reserve — the smallest of the parks, at 350 km², Mwabvi was adopted by Project African Wilderness in 2007 (PAW is a charitable organisation based in Malawi and the UK)
- Nkhotakota Game Reserve — the oldest and largest established reserve in Malawi
- Vwaza Marsh Game Reserve — southwest of the Nyika Plateau, to the north of the South Rukuru River, Vwaza Marsh covers an area of 1,000 km²
Other protected areas
Media related to Protected areas of Malawi at Wikimedia Commons