List of never used railways
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||The examples and perspective in this are almost entirely Australian and may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (February 2011)|
This list of never used railways and railway infrastructure comprises as following:
- Bussang Pass Line - approximately 50% of 8,287 m tunnel completed, work abandoned 1935
- Engaña Tunnel and railway
- United Kingdom
- Manchester and Milford Railway - Llangurig branch
- Tadcaster to Church Fenton-started 1846 abandoned 1849
- Newport Pagnall to Olney- started 1865 abandoned 1866
- Kalambaka - Kozani - Veria line; approximately 65% of 117 km between Kalambaka and Kozani completed, work abandoned due to financial crisis (July 1932)
- Thessaloniki - Tsagezi line; less than 5% of about 150 km completed, work abandoned due to World War II (1940)
- United Kingdom
- Ouse Valley Railway, 1866 - construction abandoned for political reasons
For future needs
- Central railway station, Sydney, platforms 26 and 27.
- St James railway station, Sydney, platforms 2 and 3.
- North Sydney railway station, flying junction tunnel for never built line to Manly.
- Wynyard platforms 1 and 2 to North Sydney never used for rail, used for trams, then converted to car parking use.
- North Sydney to Chatswood four-tracking, partially built never used.
- Normanton - Croydon Railway - original destination was Cloncurry
- between Campsie and Belmore earthworks for a triangle from Enfield were built but never used due to change in plans.
- Gulgong to Maryvale section of Sandy Hollow - Maryvale railway
- Casino to Bonalbo - construction abandoned in 1930s.
- Guyra to Dorrigo - construction abandoned in 1950s.
- United Kingdom
- Bishops Castle Railway - line linking Mid-Wales and Shrewsbury never completed due to financial problems.
- Maidstone West to Tovil section of the Headcorn & Maidstone Junction Light Railway
- Rolvenden to Tenterden Town section of the Cranbrook and Tenterden Light Railway
- Chessington South to Leatherhead- construction abandoned in 1939
- Edgware to Bushey Heath extension of London Underground Northern Line. Work started 1938, suspended 1940 due to wartme and then officially abandoned 1953.
- United States
- Pennsylvania & Newark Railroad - a freight cutoff of the Pennsylvania Railroad from Morrisville, Pennsylvania to Newark, New Jersey. Construction suspended 1916
- South Pennsylvania Railroad - construction ceased 1885; many tunnels reused for Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Southern New England Railway from Palmer, Massachusetts to Providence, Rhode Island - construction abandoned in 1914
Temporary use such as military
- During World War II a number of extra crossing loops were built between Werris Creek and Wallangarra, but were not brought into use.
- During World War II triangle junctions were built at Griffith, Stockinbingal, which were removed soon after the war. A triangle at Goobang Junction near Parkes from west to south was only partly built. It was finally completed around 2000.
Interrupted for decades
Interrupted by war
- Work suspend on duplication and extension of Freilassing–Berchtesgaden railway.
Built as part of other schemes
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)|
- Duplication - Never Used
- Try searching for never used railway.
- Try searching for incomplete railway.
- see French wikipedia fr:Ligne d'Épinal à Bussang#Le tunnel de Bussang