List of Indian Christians
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of notable Indian Christians)
- Kali Charan Banerjee (1847–1902)
- P. C. Alexander (1921–2011), Served as governor of Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Goa.
- A. J. John, Anaparambil, ex-Chief Minister of the former state of Travancore-Cochin.
- George Fernandes, Served a minister of defence and railways.
- Oscar Fernandes, Congress general secretary.
- Lal Thanhawla, Chief Minister of Mizoram.
- Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy (1949–2009), Former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- Dr. Hmar T. Sangliana, police officer of Karnataka, originally from Mizoram, who also served as a Member of the Parliament of India.
- P.A. Sangma, Chief Minister of Meghalaya (1988 - 1990) and Speaker of Lok Sabha (1996 - 1998)
- James Vasanthan, Television Anchor and Music Director
- Harris Jayaraj, Music Director
- Anthony, Film Editor
- Leander Paes, Indian professional tennis player who won eight doubles and six mixed doubles Grand Slam titles.
- Mahesh Bhupathi, professional tennis player widely regarded as among the best doubles players in the world with 11 Grand Slam titles to his credit.
- Mary Kom, Olympic bronze medallist in 2012 Summer Olympics, London.
- A. G. Kripal Singh, cricketer.
- Vinod Kambli, cricketer.
- Ravi Zacharias - Christian apologist, Founder and Chairman of the Board of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries.
- Paul Dhinakaran - Christian Evangelist, A Leading Gospel Preacher.
- Valerian Gracias - First cardinal from India.
- Duraisamy Simon Lourdusamy - First Indian to head a Sacred Congregation of the Catholic Church.
- Acharya K K Chandy - President Emeritus- Fellowship of Reconciliation India; 1 of the 3 Founding Fathers - Christavashram, Kottayam; Founder Father- Gurukul Ecumenical Centre for Peace.
- Varghese Payyappilly Palakkappilly - Founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Destitute.
- Varkey Vithayathil - Head of the Syro-Malabar Church.
- Antony Padiyara - Head of the Syro-Malabar Church and the first Major Arch Bishop of this Church.
- Joseph Parecattil - First from the Syro-Malabar church to be made a cardinal.
- Augustine Kandathil - First head of the Syro-Malabar Church and first Indian to assume powers and rule as an archbishop of the Catholic Church.
- Kuriakose Elias Chavara - First Indian to be beatified Syro-Malabar Catholic Church.
- St. Alphonsa of India - First Indian to be raised to sainthood Syro-Malabar Catholic Church.
- Mother Teresa of Kolkata - Founder of Missionaries of Charity and the most well-known Christian social worker of India (although Albanian and born in Skopje in Macedonia, she became an Indian).
- V.C. Samuel - World renowned Theologian, Historian, Ecumenical Leader, Professor/Dean in India and abroad, Priest, Indian Orthodox Church.
- Cyril Mar Baselios - Former head of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church.
- Mariam Thresia - Syro-Malabar Church.
- Euphrasia - Syro-Malabar Church.
- Nidhiry Mani Kathanar - Priest of the Syro-Malabar Church who led a relentless campaign for indigenous bishops. Founder of Nazrani Deepika Malayalam newspaper.
- Gheevarghese Mar Gregorios - Malankara Syrian (Jacobite) Orthodox religious leader and saint (Parumala).
- Neiliezhü Üsou (1941–2009), an influential Baptist preacher, theologian, Church musician, music teacher and composer from the North-Eastern state of India, Nagaland.
- J. W. Gladstone - Moderator of the Church of South India.
- K C John - India Pentecostal Church of God General President.
- Abraham Malpan - A leading figure in Mar Thoma Church Reformation.
- Telesphore Toppo - First Indian Cardinal from the Scheduled Tribal communities.
- Johnson Varghese Pastor and Evangelist, Bethel AG Church, Bengaluru.
- Blessed Devasahayam Pillai (1712–1752), beatified convert, layman and martyr of the Latin rite of the Roman Catholic Church.
Others in religious life
- Maria Theresa Chiramel - Catholic nun.
- Ken Gnanakan - Evangelist, singer, environmentalist and Founder Director of Acts Ministries.
- P. C. John - Kerala Brethren person.
- Sister Nirmala - Former Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity.
- Bakht Singh - Evangelist, Apostle and Pioneer in local Church planting Ministries in India.
- Sadhu Sundar Singh - Missionary, Christian universalist.
- Sadhu Kochu Kunju Upadesi - Famous Malayali preacher and poet / composer.
- Goan Catholics
- List of Anglo-Indians
- List of Syrian Malabar Nasranis
- List of Syro-Malabar Catholics
- Mangalorean Catholics
- Marathi Christian
- Tamil Christians
- Fr. G. Thalian. "`All Kerala Catholic Congress' in `The Great Archbishop Mar Augustine Kandathil, D. D.: the Outline of a Vocation". D. C. Kandathil, NYU. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Meghalaya: BJP puts its sole Christian MP at work". Indian Express. 2008-02-21. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Interview: Vijay Benedict's life from Bollywood to Gospel". In.christiantoday.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Sinh, Gauri (2002-09-02). "Shvetha & Mahesh? Why knot!". The Times Of India.
- Aarti Narang. "Mary Kom: Full-Confidence Lady". Reader's Digest.
- "Magazine / Columns : A lot in a name". The Hindu. 2006-09-24. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "Vinod Kambli embraces Christianity - Sport - DNA". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "A rare concert". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2006-03-31.