List of postage stamps
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of notable postage stamps)
- Treskilling Yellow (Sweden)
- Penny Black (Britain)
- Bull's Eye (Brazil)
- British Guiana 1c magenta
- Mauritius "Post Office"
- Inverted Jenny (United States)
- Basel Dove (Switzerland)
- Benjamin Franklin Z Grill (United States)
Current political entities
- Canada 12d black
- Canada 2c Large Queen on laid paper – Rarest Canadian stamp
- St. Lawrence Seaway invert
China, People's Republic of
- Chinese Golden Monkey stamp (1980 Chinese zodiac stamp)
- Red Revenues (1897 Provisionals)
- The Whole Country is Red (1968)
- Hong Kong Jubilee 1891 – First overprinted commemorative stamp in the world (Commons Image)
- George VI - Queen Elizabeth Silver Jubilee 1948
- Baden 9kr blue-green error of color
- Bavaria one Kreuzer black
- Saxony 3pf red sheet
- Saxony 1/2g on light blue paper error
- Vineta provisional
- Yacht issue
- Black Honduras – Black airmail overprint (two currently known)
- Scinde Dawk – First stamps in Asia
- Inverted Head Four Annas
- Mahatma Gandhi 10 Rupees overprinted "SERVICE"
- Duttia 2 Annas with red seal (1894?) – A possibly unique Indian Feudatory State stamp
- Tuscany 3-lira ocher
- Tuscany 4-crazie Lion inverted tablet – Unique error
- Italy General Balbo triptych
- Gronchi Rosa
- Jamaica 1sh inverted-frame error
- Jamaica 6d abolition of slavery
- Jamaica 1956-58 £1 chocolate and violet
- Jamaica human rights set of three
- "Khadafi" 1986 – Ordinary set of 12 stamps; error in design resulted in its withdraw from circulation hours after being issued on January 1, 1986
- "Khadafi Prize" 1994 – Minisheet of 16 stamps; errors in design resulted in them not being released and instead substituted with a correct minisheet on December 31, 1994
- Halfpenny Yellow (1860) – Malta's first stamp
- Saint Paul 10s black (1919) – Malta's most expensive stamp
- Wilhelmina 5 cent orange (1891) – Creation of Carl Gietzelt, an employee of Joh. Enschedé; mentioned in NVPH as 35f.; 24 are known to exist, 10 are used of which 3 on cover.
- 7½ cent dark violet, syncopated type D (1927) – Three-hole, four-sided interrupted perforation
- 1906 Christchurch Exhibition 1d Claret Colour – Miscoloured
- 1996 Teddy Bear Health Stamp – Withdrawn because it showed an incorrect use of a car child restraint, though a number were still sold New Zealand Stamp Collector December 1996 issue
- Maori Performing Arts stamps – Sets of five stamps printed but destroyed before release, after causing public offence (with a very small number sold by mistake) 
- 1904 Pictorial 4d Lake Taupo invert – Only one copy known.
- Pagsanjan Falls stamp – A postage stamp issued on 3 May 1932, noted for its printing error.
- Cap de bour – Issued by the principality of Moldavia in 1858
- Tiflis stamp (Tiflis unique) (1857) – One of the rarest Russian stamp issued in Tiflis, Georgia; only three specimens known.
- First Russian stamp (1857)
- Consular tax stamp (Consular poltinnik) (1922) – A rare 50-kopeck Russian stamp; estimated 50-75 specimens in existence
- Consular Air Post 1922 type IV (1922) – 1,200m on 50k, overprint type IV. Occurs only twice per setting of 25, hence only four can exist.
- 7,500r blue, horizontal watermark, gutter tete-beche block of four (1922) – Possibly unique.
- Red 70 kopek Army man (1922) – 70 rouble perforated 12.5 orange red. Position 72 in part of the issue, 4 known.
- 10k on 5r green type II, basic stamp wide "5", complete pane of 25 (1924) – Unique.
- Limonka (1925) – 15 kopek yellow, farmer issue, if in mint condition
- Aspidka (1931) – A very rare Russian stamp, especially if imperforate; 24 imperforate specimens known.
- Personalized Kartonskaya (1932) – 'All Soviet Philatelic Exhibition' in Moscow, souvenir sheet of four on thick card, with three line overprint "To the best shock worker of the All Russian Philatelic Society - President of the Moscow Philatelic Organization E.M. Nurk. 25 were issued.
- San Francisco inverted surcharge with small Cyrillic "f" (1935) – Possibly unique.
- Tokyo olympic 'green' souvenir sheet - asymmetric star (1964) – Plate error of the first Russian numbered souvenir sheet.
- Treskilling Yellow - Unique error, world's record auction sales price for a postage stamp.
- Uganda Missionaries - The first stamps of Uganda, typewritten.
- Penny Black - World's first postage stamp
- Penny Blue - Trial printings from a penny black plate
- Two pence blue - Issued for second rate step, at same time as Penny Black
- VR official - First official stamp
- Prince Consort Essay
- Penny Red - Improved follow-ons to the Penny Black
- Archer Roulette - Experimental separation of stamps
- Edward VII 2d Tyrian plum - Withdrawn before issue, but one used
- Postal Union Congress £1 stamp
- St. Louis Bears
- Alexandria "Blue Boy" Postmaster's Provisional - Unique, entire.
- New York Postmaster's Provisional
- 1c Z grill - Rarest US stamp
- Black Bull - Dollar value of 1898 Trans-Mississippi
- Pan-American invert
- Inverted Jenny - The "upside-down airplane"
- Dag Hammarskjöld invert - Error deliberately mass-produced
- CIA invert - Modern error
- Forever Statue of Liberty Stamp (2011) – Largest run of an error on a US postage stamp (10.5 billion)
- 1856, 80c. green, Ferrer block of 15 – Unique
- 1858, 120c. blue, tête-bêche vertical pair – Unique
- 1858, 180c Sol de Mayo red error of color – Unique
- 1858, 180c. green, in mixed franking with 1860 thick figures 60 c. brown lilac – Unique on cover
Former political entities
- Dull Rose – A 4 pence denomination issued on 23 April 1859, considered the most valuable stamp of Ceylon
Confederate States of America
- CSA #10 – Rarest Confederate Stamp
Kingdom of Hawaii
- Hawaiian Missionaries – First stamps of Hawaii
State of Buenos Aires
Western Australia (British colony)
- Stamp Magazine online World's rarest stamps (archived version)