List of omics topics in biology
Inspired by the terms genome and genomics, other words to describe complete datasets of biological data, mostly sets of biomolecules originating from one organism, have been coined with the suffix -ome and -omics. Some of these terms are related to each other in a hierarchical fashion. For example, the genome contains the ORFeome, which gives rise to the transcriptome, which is translated to the proteome. Other terms are overlapping and refer to the structure and/or function of a subset of proteins (e.g. glycome, kinome).
List of topics
|-ome||Field of study
|Collection of||Parent subject||Notes|
|Allergenome||Allergenomics||Proteomics of allergens|
|Bibliome||Bibliomics||Scientific bibliographic data|
|Trialome||Medicine||Human interventional trials data from clinical trial registries extended with trial results and links to resulting publications|
|Connectome||Connectomics||Structural and functional brain connectivity at different spatiotemporal scales||Neuroscience|
|Cytome||Cytomics||Cellular systems of an organism||Cytology|
|Epigenome||Epigenomics||Epigenetic modifications||Molecular genetics||Epigenomics is the study of the complete set of epigenetic modifications on the genetic material of a cell, collectively known as the epigenome|
|Exposome (2005)||Exposomics||An individual's environmental exposures, including in the prenatal environment||Molecular genetics||A proposed term and field of study of the disease-causing effects of environmental factors (the "nurture" component of "nature vs. nurture").|
|Exposome (2009)||Composite occupational exposures and occupational health problems||Occupational safety and health||The proposers of this term were aware of the previous term as used above but proposed to apply the term to a new field.|
|Exome||Exomics||Exons in a genome||Molecular Genetics|
|Foodome||Foodomics||Food and Nutrition issues related to bioactivity, quality, safety and traceability of foods through the application and integration of advanced omics technologies to improve consumer’s well-being, health, and confidence.||Nutrition||The term was first defined in 2009 |
|Genetics||"Genome" refers to the set of all genes in an organism. However, "genome" was coined decades before it was discovered that most DNA is "non-coding" and not part of a gene; thus, "genome" originally referred to the entire collection of DNA within an organism. Today, both definitions are used, depending on the context.|
|Interferome||Interferomics||Interferons||Immunology||Also a database of the same name.|
|Interactome||Interactomics||All interactions||The term "interactomics" is generally not used. Instead, interactomes are considered the study of systems biology.|
|Ionome||Ionomics||Inorganic biomolecules||Molecular Biology|
|Kinome||Kinomics||Kinases||Molecular Biology||Proteins that add a phosphate group|
|Mechanome||Mechanomics||The mechanical systems within an organism|
|Metabolome||Metabolomics||Metabolites||All products of a biological reaction (including intermediates)|
|Metagenome||Metagenomics||Genetic material found in an environmental sample||Molecular Biology||The genetic material is assumed to contain DNA from multiple organisms and therefore multiple genomes, hence the inclusion of the prefix meta-.|
|Metallome||Metallomics||Metals and metalloids|
|Obesidome||Obesidomics||Obesity related proteins||Proteomics||Coined by Pardo et al., 2012.|
|ORFeome||ORFeomics||Open reading frames (ORFs)||Molecular Genetics|
|Organome||Organomics||Organ interactions||Cell Signaling and Tissue Engineering||The study of crosstalk between organs using physiologically relevant in-vitro models|
|Pharmacogenetics||Pharmacogenetics||SNPs and their effect on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics||Pharmacogenomics
|Pharmacogenome||Pharmacogenomics||The effect of changes on the genome on pharmacology||Pharmacogenetics
|Physiome||Physiomics||Physiology of an organism|
|Regulome||Regulomics||Transcription factors and other molecules involved in the regulation of gene expression||Molecular Biology|
|Researchsome||Research areas covered by an individual researcher or institution||Research||Coined by Ivan Erill at the 2011 EBM meeting |
|Secretome||Secretomics||Secreted proteins||Proteomics||Subset of the proteome consisting of proteins actively exported from cells.|
|Speechome||Speecheomics||Influences on language acquisition||Coined by the Human Speechome Project|
|Transcriptome||Transcriptomics||mRNA transcripts||Molecular Biology|
|Phytochemome||Phytochemomics||Phytochemicals||[[The term has been coined by del Castillo et al., 2013, Food Research International, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2013.05.014. Phytochemomics is a comprehensive concept aimed to increase the knowledge of phytochemicals´ bioactivity which is of growing importance in agricultural, food, medicine and cosmetic sciences]]|
Hierarchy of topics
For the sake of clarity, some topics are listed more than once.
- Trialome 
- Yagami T, Haishima Y, Tsuchiya T, Tomitaka-Yagami A, Kano H, Matsunaga K. (2004). "Proteomic analysis of putative latex allergens". Int Arch Allergy Immunol 135 (1): 3–11. doi:10.1159/000080036.
- Wild CP (2005). "Complementing the genome with an "exposome": the outstanding challenge of environmental exposure measurement in molecular epidemiology". Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 14 (8): 1847–50. doi:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0456. PMID 16103423.
- Faisandier, Laurie; De Gaudemaris, Régis; Bicout, Dominique J. (2009). "Occupational Health Problem Network : the Exposome". arXiv:0907.3410 [stat.ME].
- Faisandier, Laurie; Bonneterre, Vincent; De Gaudemaris, Régis; Bicout, Dominique J. (2009). "A network-based approach for surveillance of occupational health exposures". arXiv:0907.3355 [stat.ME].
- Cifuentes, A. (2009). "Food analysis and Foodomics". Journal of Chromatography A 1216 (43): 7109–7109. doi:10.1016/j.chroma.2009.09.018.
- "genome, n.". Oxford English Dictionary. March 2008.
- Main Page - Interactomics
- Subramaniam S, Fahy E, Gupta S, Sud M, Byrnes R.W, Cotter D, Dinasarapu A.R and Maurya M.R (2011). "Bioinformatics and Systems Biology of the Lipidome". Chemical Reviews 111 (10): 6452–6490. doi:10.1021/cr200295k. PMID 21939287.
- (2011) "15th EBM PROGRAM" Evolutionary Biology Meeting at Marseilles'.' Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- Dov Greenbaum, Nicholas M. Luscombe, Ronald Jansen et al. (2001). "Interrelating Different Types of Genomic Data, from Proteome to Secretome: 'Oming in on Function". Genome Research 11 (9): 1463–1468. doi:10.1101/gr.207401. PMID 11544189.
- BBC article on the Speechome Project
- Huser, V.; Cimino, J. J. (2012). "Precision and Negative Predictive Value of Links between ClinicalTrials.gov and PubMed". AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium 2012: 400–408. PMC 3540528. PMID 23304310.
- Dimitrov, DS (2010 May-Jun). "Therapeutic antibodies, vaccines and antibodyomes.". mAbs 2 (3): 347–56. PMID 20400863.