List of online dictionaries
An online dictionary is a dictionary that is accessible via the Internet through a web browser. They can be made available in a number of ways: free, free with a paid subscription for extended or more professional content, or a paid-only service. Some online dictionaries are organized as lists of words, similar to a glossary, while others offer search features, reverse lookups, and additional language tools and content such as verb conjugations, grammar references, and discussion forums.
Selected online English dictionaries
The following is a concise list of online English dictionaries whose definitions are based upon well-established content.
- Collins Online Dictionary Collins Unabridged English Dictionary; Collins Unabridged Thesaurus; Collins Webster's American English Dictionary
- Dictionary.com Dictionary.com Unabridged v. 1.1 and American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Ed.
- Longman Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Merriam-Webster OnLine Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
- Oxford Dictionaries Online Oxford Dictionary of English; New Oxford American Dictionary; Oxford Thesaurus of English; Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
Advanced Learner Dictionaries
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- Macmillan Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners
- Oxford University Press Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- Wiktionary: a collaborative project run by the Wikimedia Foundation
- LEO (website): free multilingual collaborative dictionary for German.
- Ultralingua: free and premium multilingual dictionary.
- Multitran, a multilingual Internet-based dictionary centered on Russian, and provides an opportunity of adding your own translation.
- Webster's Online Dictionary: The Rosetta Edition: a multilingual online dictionary which compiles different online dictionaries and encyclopedia including Wiktionary and Wikipedia.
- Pictual (website): free visual dictionary, English-German-French-Spanish.
- dict.cc, a free user-run multilingual dictionary centered around English and German, with the capacity to translate to Spanish, French, Icelandic, Esperanto, Albanian, Italian and many more.
- WWWJDIC Japanese–English
- English language
- Reference.com Word and language tool portal.
- Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
- Logos Dictionary Free online with additional premium content.
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Pseudodictionary Dictionary of user submitted made-up words (humour).
- Urban Dictionary Dictionary of slang.
- WordNet, a word database.
- Wordweb Free and premium online English thesaurus and dictionary for Windows.
- Other specific languages
- Academic Dictionary of Lithuanian
- Dictionary of the Scots Language
- Susning.nu Free Swedish online dictionary, opened 2001, now defunct
- Ekşi Sözlük Turkish collaborative dictionary
- Plattmakers Low Saxon online dictionary
- Svenska Akademiens ordbok
- Van Dale Dictionary of the Dutch language
- Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal Dictionary of the Dutch language (free registration required)
- Yeminlisozluk Turkish translators' dictionary