List of open source hardware projects
The following is the list of open source hardware projects that includes computer systems and components, cameras, radio, telephony, science education, machines & tools, robotics, renewable energy, home automation, medical & biotech, automotive, prototyping, test equipment, and musical instruments.
- 1 Amateur radio
- 2 Audio electronics
- 3 Automotive
- 4 Cameras
- 5 Computer systems
- 6 Machines and tools
- 7 Music electronics
- 8 Networking
- 9 Renewable energy
- 10 Robotics
- 11 Telephony
- 12 Video electronics
- 13 Wireless hardware
- 14 Other
- 15 Other projects
- 16 Repositories
- 17 References
- 18 External links
- 19 References
- Monome 40h – A reconfigurable grid of 64 backlit buttons, used via USB. A limited batch of 500 monome 40h has been produced. All the design process, design specifications, firmware and PCB schematics are available online.
- Neuros Digital Audio Computer – An open-source portable digital audio player.
- eCorolla – Finnish electric car project
- Local Motors (Rally Fighter)
- Riversimple Urban Car
- OSVehicle TABBY
Machines and tools
- The RepRap Project, an open-source 3D printer/fabber
- Lyman filament extruder, which provides the filament for the RepRaps
- The Lasersaur, an open-source laser cutter
- The Multimachine, an open-source machine tool project
- Open Source Ecology "50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a small civilization with modern comforts."
- MIDIbox The MIDIbox project is an open source modular DIY hardware and software platform for MIDI devices like controllers, synthesizers, sequencers
- Stoicheia a dual gate Euclidean sequencer
- NetFPGA is a project consisting hardware platform, software, community and education material to enable research and education effort in a line-rate network environment.
- Urbolienne, an urban small wind turbine, designed by AeroSeeD under free licenses with Copyleft.
- Wind turbines: To assist people in the developing countries, and hobbyists alike, several projects have been open-sourced, e.g. the Jua Kali wind turbine, Hugh Piggot's wind turbine, ForceField Wind Turbine, et cetera
- e-puck mobile robot, an open-hardware, education oriented, mobile robot.
- Orb swarm
- The Humanoid Project
- OpenROV, an open-source telerobotic submarine
- Openmoko – open phone framework (first use case: FIC Neo FreeRunner, released as of mid-2008)
- TuxPhone A project to develop open-source (hardware and software) GSM/GPRS cellphone.
- OpenBTS and OsmoBTS - Open source software based GSM base stations.
- GTA04 - successor of Openmoko
- Milkymist One – a video synthesizer for interactive and dance-directed VJing.
- Neuros OSD an open-source digital video recorder
- Openpicus – Open-source platform for smart sensors and Internet of things
- Sun SPOT is an open source hardware and software platform for sensor networks and battery powered, wireless, embedded development.
- USRP universal software radio peripheral is a mainboard with snap in modules providing software defined radio at different frequencies, it has a USB 2.0 link to its host computer.
- PowWow Power Optimized Hardware and Software FrameWork for Wireless Motes is an open source hardware and software platform for wireless sensor networks.
- Twibright RONJA – Open-source free-space optic system, DIY in a garage, 10 Mbit/s full duplex/1.4 km
- Chumby – "ambient" information device
- Ben NanoNote – handheld notebook computer based on a MIPS processor running Linux.
- Pandora – handheld computer
- DragonBox Pyra – handheld computer
- GP2X – handheld video game console and portable media player
- OpenDesk – project to design furniture
- LED Throwies – Non-destructive graffiti and light displays.
- CUBIT (multi-touch) System – Open source multitouch system.
- The Bus pirate – Universal bus interface and programmer.
- WikiHouse – Open-source project for designing and building houses.
- Open Compute Project – Openly share designs of data center products (server, storage, rack, ... )
- Open Source Ecology
- SPARC - RISC instruction set architecture (ISA)
- Thingiverse - a collection of primarily 3-D printable open-source designs of objects