List of open-source hardware projects
This list of open-source hardware projects includes computer systems and components, cameras, radio, telephony, science education, machines and tools, robotics, renewable energy, home automation, medical and biotech, automotive, prototyping, test equipment, and musical instruments.
- 1 Amateur radio
- 2 Audio electronics
- 3 Automotive
- 4 Cameras
- 5 Colorimeters
- 6 Computer systems
- 7 Electronics
- 8 Environmental
- 9 Lighting
- 10 Machines and tools
- 11 Medical devices
- 12 Music electronics
- 13 Networking
- 14 Renewable energy
- 15 Robotics
- 16 Telephony
- 17 Scientific Hardware
- 18 Video electronics
- 19 Wireless hardware
- 20 Repositories
- 21 See also
- 22 References
- 23 External links
- 24 References
- Monome 40h – A reconfigurable grid of 64 backlit buttons, used via USB. A limited batch of 500 monome 40h has been produced. All the design process, design specifications, firmware and PCB schematics are available online.
- Neuros Digital Audio Computer – An open-source portable digital audio player.
- AXIOM – digital cinema camera built by apertus° community.
- Elphel, Inc. – cameras based on free software and hardware designs.
- ColorHug – An LCD and LED display colorimeter by Ania and Richard Hughes with fully free software (client, driver, firmware) and hardware (PCB schematics) stack.
- Ben NanoNote – handheld notebook computer based on a MIPS processor running Linux.
- Chumby – "ambient" information device.
- CUBIT (multi-touch) System – Open-source multitouch surface-interaction system.
- Novena (computing_platform) – Open-source Linux computer based on a 1.2 GHz (quad-core) ARM Cortex-A9 and Xilinx FPGA.
- Open Compute Project – Openly share designs of data center products (server, storage, rack, ...).
- Parallax Propeller – a multi-core microcontroller with eight 32-bit RISC cores.
- SPARC – RISC instruction set architecture (ISA).
- The Bus pirate – Universal bus interface and programmer.
- USB Armory – System on a Chip (SoC) with a Freescale i.MX53 ARM® Cortex™-A8 800Mhz, 512MB DDR3 RAM and ARM® TrustZone® secure boot.
- Arduino, open-source microcontroller board
- Netduino, open-source microcontroller board, .NET_Micro_Framework based
- openPicus Flyport programmable modules for IoT
- PING2550 by broedsels working on Pinguino IDE
- Air Quality Egg – Open-source platform and pollution-sensing devices for citizen crowdsourced monitoring of air quality
- OpenDesk – project to design furniture
- Open Source Ecology
- WikiHouse – Open-source project for designing and building houses.
- LED Throwies – Non-destructive graffiti and light displays.
Machines and tools
- The RepRap Project, an open-source 3D printer/fabber
- Lyman filament extruder, which provides the filament for the RepRaps
- The Lasersaur, an open-source laser cutter
- The Multimachine, an open-source machine tool project
- Open Source Ecology "50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a small civilization with modern comforts."
- Shapeoko, a CNC machine kit, options include rotary tools or routers, 3D printer extruders, drag knives and laser diodes.
- MIDIbox The MIDIbox project is an open-source modular DIY hardware and software platform for MIDI devices like controllers, synthesizers, sequencers
- Stoicheia a dual gate Euclidean sequencer
- NetFPGA is a project consisting hardware platform, software, community and education material to enable research and education effort in a line-rate network environment.
- Wind turbines: To assist people in the developing countries, and hobbyists alike, several projects have been open-sourced, e.g. the Jua Kali wind turbine, Hugh Piggot's wind turbine, ForceField Wind Turbine, et cetera
- e-puck mobile robot, an open-hardware, education oriented, mobile robot.
- ICub, 1 metre high humanoid robot.
- Orb swarm, art spherical robots.
- PopPet, DIY, Arduino Compatible, Robot kit 
- RobotCub, predecessor of ICub (see: )
- Romibo Robot, a socially assistive robot for autism therapy
- The Humanoid Project
- moti, an automated & interactive robot for children with communication and social disabilities.
- OpenROV, an open-source telerobotic submarine
- Openmoko – open phone framework (first use case: FIC Neo FreeRunner, released as of mid-2008)
- TuxPhone A project to develop open-source (hardware and software) GSM/GPRS cellphone.
- OpenBTS and OsmoBTS – Open-source software based GSM base stations.
- GTA04 – successor of Openmoko
- UmTRX – a dual-channel wide-band SDR platform with gigabit Ethernet connectivity, that is developed by Fairwaves and designed to be used as a transceiver (TRX) with OpenBTS and OsmoBTS GSM base stations
- Open Source Lab (book) – documents dozens of scientific tools
- Milkymist One – a video synthesizer for interactive and dance-directed VJing.
- Neuros OSD an open-source digital video recorder
- SKAARHOJ Vision mixers primarily for the Blackmagic Design ATEM video switcher series
- Openpicus – Open-source platform for smart sensors and Internet of things
- Sun SPOT is an open-source hardware and software platform for sensor networks and battery powered, wireless, embedded development.
- USRP universal software radio peripheral is a mainboard with snap in modules providing software defined radio at different frequencies, it has a USB 2.0 link to its host computer.
- PowWow Power Optimized Hardware and Software FrameWork for Wireless Motes is an open-source hardware and software platform for wireless sensor networks.
- Twibright RONJA – Open-source free-space optic system, DIY in a garage, 10 Mbit/s full duplex/1.4 km
- Thingiverse – a collection of primarily 3-D printable open-source designs of objects