List of open source hardware projects
The following is the list of open source hardware projects that includes computer systems and components, cameras, radio, telephony, science education, machines & tools, robotics, renewable energy, home automation, medical & biotech, automotive, prototyping, test equipment, and musical instruments.
- 1 Amateur radio
- 2 Audio electronics
- 3 Automotive
- 4 Cameras
- 5 Computer systems
- 6 Electronics
- 7 Environmental
- 8 Lighting
- 9 Machines and tools
- 10 Medical devices
- 11 Music electronics
- 12 Networking
- 13 Renewable energy
- 14 Robotics
- 15 Telephony
- 16 Video electronics
- 17 Wireless hardware
- 18 Repositories
- 19 References
- 20 External links
- 21 References
- Monome 40h – A reconfigurable grid of 64 backlit buttons, used via USB. A limited batch of 500 monome 40h has been produced. All the design process, design specifications, firmware and PCB schematics are available online.
- Neuros Digital Audio Computer – An open-source portable digital audio player.
- AXIOM - digital cinema camera built by apertus° community
- Elphel, Inc. – cameras based on free software and hardware designs.
- Ben NanoNote – handheld notebook computer based on a MIPS processor running Linux.
- Chumby – "ambient" information device
- CUBIT (multi-touch) System – Open source multitouch surface interaction system.
- Novena (computing_platform) – Open source Linux computer based on a 1.2GHz (quad-core) ARM Cortex-A9 and Xilinx FPGA
- Open Compute Project – Openly share designs of data center products (server, storage, rack, ... )
- Parallax Propeller - a multi-core microcontroller with eight 32-bit RISC cores
- SPARC – RISC instruction set architecture (ISA)
- The Bus pirate – Universal bus interface and programmer.
- USB Armory – System on a Chip (SoC) with a Freescale i.MX53 ARM® Cortex™-A8 800Mhz, 512MB DDR3 RAM and ARM® TrustZone® secure boot
- Arduino, open source microcontroller board
- Netduino, open source microcontroller board, .NET_Micro_Framework based
- openPicus Flyport programmable modules for IoT
- PING2550 by broedsels working on Pinguino IDE
- Air Quality Egg - Open-source platform and pollution-sensing devices for citizen crowdsourced monitoring of air quality
- OpenDesk – project to design furniture
- Open Source Ecology
- WikiHouse – Open-source project for designing and building houses.
- LED Throwies – Non-destructive graffiti and light displays.
Machines and tools
- The RepRap Project, an open-source 3D printer/fabber
- Lyman filament extruder, which provides the filament for the RepRaps
- The Lasersaur, an open-source laser cutter
- The Multimachine, an open-source machine tool project
- Open Source Ecology "50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a small civilization with modern comforts."
- Shapeoko, a CNC machine kit, options include rotary tools or routers, 3D printer extruders, drag knives and laser diodes.
- MobilECG I and II, open-source clinical-grade electrocardiographs
- MIDIbox The MIDIbox project is an open source modular DIY hardware and software platform for MIDI devices like controllers, synthesizers, sequencers
- Stoicheia a dual gate Euclidean sequencer
- NetFPGA is a project consisting hardware platform, software, community and education material to enable research and education effort in a line-rate network environment.
- Urbolienne, an urban small wind turbine, designed by AeroSeeD under free licenses with Copyleft.
- Wind turbines: To assist people in the developing countries, and hobbyists alike, several projects have been open-sourced, e.g. the Jua Kali wind turbine, Hugh Piggot's wind turbine, ForceField Wind Turbine, et cetera
- e-puck mobile robot, an open-hardware, education oriented, mobile robot.
- Orb swarm
- The Humanoid Project
- OpenROV, an open-source telerobotic submarine
- Openmoko – open phone framework (first use case: FIC Neo FreeRunner, released as of mid-2008)
- TuxPhone A project to develop open-source (hardware and software) GSM/GPRS cellphone.
- OpenBTS and OsmoBTS - Open source software based GSM base stations.
- GTA04 - successor of Openmoko
- Milkymist One – a video synthesizer for interactive and dance-directed VJing.
- Neuros OSD an open-source digital video recorder
- SKAARHOJ Vision mixers primarily for the Blackmagic Design ATEM video switcher series
- Openpicus – Open-source platform for smart sensors and Internet of things
- Sun SPOT is an open source hardware and software platform for sensor networks and battery powered, wireless, embedded development.
- USRP universal software radio peripheral is a mainboard with snap in modules providing software defined radio at different frequencies, it has a USB 2.0 link to its host computer.
- PowWow Power Optimized Hardware and Software FrameWork for Wireless Motes is an open source hardware and software platform for wireless sensor networks.
- Twibright RONJA – Open-source free-space optic system, DIY in a garage, 10 Mbit/s full duplex/1.4 km
- Thingiverse - a collection of primarily 3-D printable open-source designs of objects