List of optometry schools
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2013)|
The following list of optometry schools covers many countries, although the list is not exhaustive. Internationally, optometry as a profession includes different levels of education. The institutions listed below provide academic and professional education and clinical training that ranges from Doctor of Optometry degree level to other professional degrees in optometry and also non-degree level education leading to a diploma or other qualifications in optometry.
In many countries the role of optometry is statutorily defined, practice is regulated and there is uniformity in professional education and clinical training and the scope of practice is consistent with the definition of optometry as a profession. In such countries the nomenclature of terminal qualification may be reviewed as and when necessary. In Australia, for example, Doctor of Optometry (OD) is now established at University of Melbourne (first intake 2011) and OD is described as "an internationally recognised qualification and the gold standard for optometry education."
This is a list of optometry schools sorted alphabetically by country.
- 1 Australia
- 2 Brazil
- 3 Bulgaria
- 4 Canada
- 5 Colombia
- 6 Czech Republic
- 7 El Salvador
- 8 Ghana
- 9 Hong Kong
- 10 India
- 11 Iran
- 12 Ireland
- 13 Israel
- 14 Italy
- 15 Latvia
- 16 Malaysia
- 17 Mexico
- 18 Nepal
- 19 The Netherlands
- 20 New Zealand
- 21 Nigeria
- 22 Norway
- 23 Pakistan
- 24 Philippines
- 25 Poland
- 26 Portugal
- 27 Russia
- 28 Saudi Arabia
- 29 Singapore
- 30 South Africa
- 31 Sri Lanka
- 32 Sudan
- 33 Sweden
- 34 Switzerland
- 35 Taiwan
- 36 Thailand
- 37 Trinidad & Tobago
- 38 United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- 39 United States of America
- 40 See also
- 41 References
- University of Melbourne  OD
- University of New South Wales  BOptom/BSc(Vision Science)
- Queensland University of Technology  BAppSc(Optom) - Replaced with Bachelor of Vision Science / Master of Optometry from February 2009. .
- Flinders University  Bachelor of Medical Science (Vision Science), Master of Optometry
- Deakin University  Bachelor of Vision Science, Master of Optometry.
- Universidade do Contestado, as a partner of Fundación Universitaria San Martín, of Bogotá, Colombia.
- Universidad de La Salle, Bogotá , Master in Vision Science
- Universidad Santo Tomás, Bucaramanga 
- Universidad Metropolitana, Barranquilla 
- Fundación Universitaria del Area Andina, Pereira  & Bogotá 
- Fundación Universitaria San Martín, Bogotá 
- Universidad Antonio Nariño, Bogotá 
- Universidad del Bosque, Bogotá 
- Masaryk University in Brno 
- Palacký University in Olomouc 
- Charles University in Prague 
- University of Cape Coast , Doctor of Optometry
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology , Doctor of Optometry
The following list includes educational institutions offering four year degree courses, two or three year diploma courses and also non-degree courses. Post-graduate education in optometry is also offered in India leading to M.Optom, M.Phil., M.Sc. and Ph.D. by several universities.
- A.I.I.M.S, Delhi (DCT in Optometry and Orthoptics till 1976)
- Regional Institute of Ophthalmology (Govt.Medical college),Thiruvananthapuram - Kerala University of Health Sciences.(B.Sc.Optometry 20 seats)
- Alagappa University Tamil Nadu
- Alsalama Optometry college, Perinthalmanna
- Amity University Gurgaon, Haryana
- Bausch & Lomb School of Optometry, Hyderabad (Established in 2000), Off-campus course of B.I.T.S - Pilani, Rajasthan
- Elite School of Optometry, Chennai (Established in 1985), Off-campus course of B.I.T.S - Pilani, Rajasthan,
- Bharatimaiya College of Optometry, Surat.(Affiliated to Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat.)
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Kerala
- Bhartiya vidyapeeth (Deemed) university, Maharastra
- Dr. DY Patil Institute of Optometry & Visual Science ( Deemed ) University Maharastra
- Dr.N.T.R University Of Health Sciences Vijayawada, Andra Pradesh
- Gujarat University, Ahmedabad
- IGNOU, (Central University) Delhi
- ITM Institute of Health Science, (Deemed) University, Mumbai, Maharastra
- J.R.N. Rajasthan vidyapeeth (Deemed) university.
- Jadhavpur University, Kolkata, W. Bangal
- Jamia Hamdard (Deemed) University, Delhi
- Kalyani University, Kolkata, W. Bangal
- Madurai kamraj University
- Manipal university, Manipal, Karnataka
- Martin Luther King University, Shillog, Meghalaya
- Nalanda Open University Patna, Bihar
- Municipal Eye Hospital, School of Optometry, Mumbai(Maharastra University of Health Science Nashik) Maharas
- NIMS University, Rajasthan
- Rabindra Bharti University, Kolkata,W. Bangal
- RGUHS, Karnataka
- Sankara College of Optometry, Bangalore
- Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok,Sikkim
- Sri Ramchandra University, Porur, Tamil Nadu
- Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Science, Assam.
- SRM University, Chennai,Tamil Nadu
- Kerala University of Health Sciences - Diploma in Optometry.
- Shri Rajaram Eye Hospital  - Diploma in Optometry, Diploma in Orthoptic, bachelor in optometry
- The Global Open University Kohima, Nagaland
- The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University Chennai,Tamil Nadu
- Tripura University, Agartala,Tripura
- University of Hyderabad
- University of Mumbai, Maharastra
- Uttrakhand University, Uttrakhand
- Vasan Institute of Ophthalmology and Research, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Veer Narmad South Gujrat University,Surat,Gujrat
- Vinayaka Missions University
- West Bengal University of technology, Kolkata
- Wyashwantrao chauhan M Open university, Maharastra
- Netrajyothi college of Health Science (Optometry), Bangalore
- Iran University of Medical Sciences [www.iums.ac.ir] Tehran
- Shahid Beshti medical university  Tehran
- Mashhad University of Medical Sciences  Mashhad
- Zahedan University of Medical Sciences  zahedan.
- Bar-Ilan University
- Hadassah College
Currently there are seven state universities (in Milano, Padova, Lecce, Roma, Firenze, Napoli, and Torino) offering three-year university degrees in optics and optometry (Ottica e Optometria), formally a kind of a physics degree.
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia 
- International University College of Technology Twintech 
- Universiti Teknologi MARA 
- International Islamic University Malaysia 
- SEGi University College 
- Management & Science University 
- National Institute of Ophthalmic Sciences 
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México 
- National Polytechnic Institute, Unidad Santo Tomas 
- National Polytechnic Institute, Unidad Milpa Alta
- Universidad Autónoma de Aguascalientes 
- Universidad Xochicalco, Campus Ensenada
- Universidad Xochicalco, Campus Tijuana
- Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez
- Tribhuwan University at the B.P. Koirala Lions Centre for Ophthalmic Studies, Maharajgunj Medical Campus. Four-year bachelor's degree program only, with no post-graduate programs available.
- New Zealand National Eye Centre, Department of Optometry and Vision Science, (BOptom)
- University of Auckland 
There are four schools offering the O.D. (Doctor of Optometry) degree.
- Imo State University
- Abia State University Uturu, Abia State, which also offers M.Sc and Ph. D programmes in Clinical Optometry.
- University of Benin, Ugbowo, Benin-City, Edo State, Nigeria.
- Madonna University Okija, Anambra State.
- University of Faisalabad
- Isra School of Optometry, Isra University, Karachi
- Isra university, Islamabad
- Pakistan Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Peshawar
- Pakistan Institute of Ophthalmology, Al-Shifa trust eye hospital, Rawalpindi
- Pakistan Institute of preventive ophthalmology, KEMU, Lahore
- Cebu Doctors' University
- Centro Escolar University
- Davao Doctors' College
- Manila Central University
- Southwestern University (Philippines)
- Wrocław University of Technology 
- Poznan University of Medical Sciences 
- Adam Mickiewicz University 
- University of Warsaw
- Saint Petersburg Medical Technical College 
- The Helmholz Research Institute for Eye Diseases
- King Saud University, Riyadh, which offers Doctor of optometry (OD)and master degree .
- Qassim university, Buraidah, which offers optometry doctor degree (OD).
In 2009 University of Manchester (UK) and Singapore Polytechnic set up a degree course in optometry within the premises of Singapore Polytechnic. The degree is not recognised by the General Optical Council (GOC) in the United Kingdom. This course has since been stopped.
- University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, Free State,
- University of Johannesburg, Gauteng,
- University of KwaZulu-Natal, Westville campus, Durban,
- University of Limpopo,
School of Ophthalmic Technology, established in 1983 by ministry of health at National Eye Hospital Colombo with the initiation of Dr. C E Parker III. Honours the Diploma in Ophthalmic technologist. Still a degree programme does not exist. These ophthalmic technologists are trained for the purpose of government hospitals. The course is also undergone by other SAARC countries: Nepal, Maldives and Pakistan. Meantime part-time courses are conducted by private institutes to provide diploma for private sectors. Namely EYE CARE INSTITUTE and SRI LANKA OPTOMETRIST ASSOCIATION. The government of Sri Lanka does not recognize optometry as a profession and has no rule and regulation to date.
- Linnaeus University, Kalmar, offers a 3 year bachelor degree in optometry.
- Karolinska Institutet offers a 3 year bachelor degree in optometry and a one year master program in clinical Optometry.
There is currently 1 university offering a bachelor's degree in optometry and 2 educational institutions offering an associate degree in optometry:
- Chung Shan Medical University 
- Jen-Teh Junior College of Medicine, Nursing, and Management 
- Shu-Zen College of Medicine and Management 
Trinidad & Tobago
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
There are 9 educational institutions in the United Kingdom offering degrees in optometry. Six are located in England with one optometry school in each of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Additionally, in England, the Institute of Optometry offers a post-graduate professional doctorate (Doctor of Optometry degree) in partnership with London South Bank University.
- Anglia Ruskin University - Cambridge 
- University of Aston - Birmingham 
- University of Bradford 
- City University London 
- University of Manchester 
- University of Plymouth
United States of America
There are 21 American educational institutions offering the Doctor of Optometry degree.
- AL: University of Alabama at Birmingham 
- AZ: Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry Glendale, Arizona
- CA: University of California at Berkeley 
- CA: Southern California College of Optometry 
- CA: Western University of Health Sciences 
- FL: Nova Southeastern University 
- IL: Illinois College of Optometry 
- IN: Indiana University 
- MA: New England College of Optometry 
- MA: Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences School of Optometry 
- MI: Michigan College of Optometry at Ferris State University 
- MO: University of Missouri at St. Louis 
- NY: State University of New York in New York City 
- OH: The Ohio State University 
- OK: Northeastern State University 
- OR: Pacific University in Portland, Oregon 
- PA: Pennsylvania College of Optometry 
- PR: Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry 
- TN: Southern College of Optometry 
- TX: University of Houston 
- TX: University of the Incarnate Word 
- Agarwal, R. (2000), Optometry as an international profession, British Journal of Optometry and Dispensing, 8(4),120.
- "Doctor of Optometry : Department of Optometry & Vision Sciences : The University of Melbourne". Optometry.unimelb.edu.au. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Bachelor of Medical Science (Vision Science), Master of Optometry - Flinders University". Flinders.edu.au. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Bill Atasever (2011-07-27). "Deakin Optometry". Deakin.edu.au. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- [dead link]
- "Optometry / Faculty of Physics / Bachelor's Degree Programmes / Degree Programmes / Faculty of Physics / Faculties / The University / Home - Sofia University St. Kl. Ohridski". Uni-sofia.bg. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "دانشگاه علوم پزشکی و خدمات بهداشتی درمانی شهید بهشتی". Sbmu.ac.ir. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "DIT Optometry : Programme". Optometry.dit.ie. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Ottica_Home". .mater.unimib.it. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Dipartimento di Fisica: Corso di Laurea in Ottica e Optometria". Fisica.unipd.it. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "University of Latvia". Lu.lv. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "Planes de Estudio - Optometría". Dgae.unam.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- [dead link]
- "Páginas - UACJ". Uacj.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- University of Benin http://www.uniben.edu/
- "Optometry Studies". Buskerud University College. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Главные события - www.igb.ru - Сайт Московского НИИ глазных болезней им.Гельмгольца". Helmholtzeyeinstitute.ru. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Diploma in Optometry (N83)". Np.edu.sg. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "General Optical Council UK".
- "Asiaone - End in sight for optometry degree course".
- "Faculty of Health Sciences UFS Optometry Faculty of Health Sciences UFS". Health.ufs.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "University of Johannesburg". Uj.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Home". Spso.ukzn.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "University of Limpopo". Ul.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Řźř§Ů…Řšřš Ř§Ů"Ů†Ůšů"Ůšů† - Ř§Ů"Ů…ŮˆŮ‚Řš Ř§Ů"Řąřłů…Ůš". Neelain.edu.sd. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Optometry Programme - Linnaeus University, Sweden - Lnu.se". Utb.lnu.se. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Jenny Enberg (2008-03-17). "Study Programme in Optometry 2008/2009 - Study Programmes - Karolinska Institutet". Ki.se. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Program & kurser - Program och kurser - Karolinska Institutet". Ki.se. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- [dead link]
- "B.Sc Optometry - University of the West Indies, St. Augustine. Faculty of Medical Sciences. Page 81.". sta.uwi.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Agarwal, R. (2008), Integrating theory with practice, Optician, volume 236, number 6167, page 12.
- Agarwal, R. (2014), Developing the doctorate, Optician, volume 247, number 6439, page 26.
- Anglia Ruskin University, Information Services Team (2012-08-24). "University Eye Clinic - Department of Vision and Hearing Sciences - Anglia Ruskin University". Anglia.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- [dead link]
- "Healthcare Degree Courses in London - School of Health Sciences | City University London". City.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- [dead link]
- "GCU Virtual Advisor - Programme Details". Hp1.gcal.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- [dead link]
- "UAB - Welcome". Uab.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Curriculum-Curriculum, Western University of Health Sciences". Westernu.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "School of Optometry". Mcphs.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "College of Optometry". Umsl.edu. 2012-08-30. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "Doctor of Optometry Programs". Salus.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "School of Optometry - University of the Incarnate Word". Uiw.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-29.