List of organizations with consultative status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council
Consultative Status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council is the highest status granted by the United Nations to non-governmental organizations, thereby allowing them to participate in the work of the United Nations. Consultative Status is divided into three categories:
- General Consultative Status (formerly Consultative Status 1), the highest level, which may be granted to organizations that are concerned with most of the activities of the Council, that are making substantive and sustained contributions in many fields, with a considerable membership, and that are broadly representative of major segments of society in a large number of countries. These organizations are entitled to deliver oral presentations during the Council's meetings.
- Special Consultative Status (formerly Consultative Status 2), which may be granted to organizations concerned with only a few of the fields of activity covered by the Council
- Roster, which are "other organizations that do not have general or special consultative status but that the Council, or the Secretary-General of the United Nations in consultation with the Council or its Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, considers can make occasional and useful contributions to the work of the Council."
Consultative Status, depending on level, gives the organizations a number of rights to participate in the work of the UN, to present their views and deliver testimony.
In September 2011 there were 144 organizations in general consultative status, 2,408 in special consultative status, and 984 on the Roster. The UN also maintains a database through which the current set of organizations in consultative status can be accessed.
- "List of non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council as of1 September 2013". United Nations.
- United Nations, Economic and Social Council. "List of non-governmental organizat ions in consultative status with the Economic a nd Social Council as of 1 September 2011".
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – Advanced Search". Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC" (pdf). Archived from the original on 2004-07-28. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children Granted Special Status with United Nations". ICMEC. August 12, 2008.