List of parental control software
This is a list of parental control software and services. Parental controls are features which may be included in digital television services, computer and video games, mobile phones and software. Parental controls fall into roughly four categories: content filters, which limit access to age inappropriate content; usage controls, which constrain the usage of these devices such as placing time-limits on usage or forbidding certain types of usage; computer usage management tools, which enforces the use of certain software; and, monitoring, which can track location and activity when using the devices. Blocking ratings, such as Parental Advisory, TV-14 and TV-MA for TV, R and NC-17 for MPAA, and M and AO for ESRB.
Programs and services
- PureSight Owl - Parental control software with advanced content filtering, time schedules, and cyberbullying protection. Designed for personal computers.
- K9 Web Protection - Free, enterprise-class security software created by Blue Coat Systems, with desktop-based content-control software program, designed for home computers.
- Microsoft Family Safety - Free parental monitoring and content-control software. It was RTM on Windows 8 and is downloadable via Windows Essentials to older versions of Windows.
- Net Nanny - provides Internet Protection software, including parental controls and internet filtering software.
- OnlineFamily.Norton - Cloud-based parental control service aimed at "fostering communication" involving parents and their children's online activities.
- SafeSquid - Free Web Filter Proxy Server for Windows.
- Secure Web SmartFilter EDU - server based content-control software made by Secure Computing Corporation, commonly used in libraries and schools as an Internet filter, blocking minors using the public computers from accessing web content deemed inappropriate by the local administrators.
- Sentry Parental Controls - a group of content-control software that logs, notifies and blocks Internet content that may be unsuitable for children.
- http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/security/3286114/the-five-best-free-parental-control-programs/ - "The five best free parental control programs"
- http://parental-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ - Claims to Rank, compare, & review the top 10 commercial (I.E. not free) Parental control software
- http://www.pcmag.com/products/26690/1 - list of parental control software with very brief description and ratings.
Some of the software/suits (usually security suites & anti-virus software) are not specifically/exclusively for parental control, but rather primarily serve a different purpose, & just contain parental controls as an added feature. In these cases, the description and rating are not necessarily reflective of the parental control aspect of the software, as they are ratings/descriptions of the product as a whole of which the parental controls may be only a small part. For example, the first item listed is Trend micro with a 3.5 star rating, however, according to the more detailed "full review", "Parental control system [is] seriously flawed.")