List of pastoral visits of Pope Francis outside Italy
Francis does not travel much, and he did not travel extensively before he was named pope. According to Vatican correspondents Lucio Brunelli and Gianni Valente, he considers that part of the pastoral work of priests involves staying close to their churches and not leaving them for long durations.
- 1 2013
- 2 2014
- 3 Upcoming visits
- 3.1 2014
- 3.2 2015
- 3.3 2016
- 4 Unscheduled visits
- 5 Campaigns
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Francis visited Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for World Youth Day. This was the only scheduled foreign trip for him in the year. Francis was officially welcomed to Brazil during a ceremony at Guanabara palace and met with Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff. Throughout the celebrations, Francis gathered up to 3.5 million pilgrims to celebrate mass at Copacabana Beach. During his vigil address on Saturday, Francis urged the pilgrims not to be "part-time Christians", but to lead full, meaningful lives. The trip was previously scheduled for his predecessor, Benedict XVI, before his resignation.
Francis visited Amman, Bethlehem and Jerusalem during his three day trip to the region (May 24 to May 26). The trip was announced during the Sunday Angelus on January 5, 2014. Francis arrived in Jordan on May 24 and after meeting with King Abdullah II, celebrated mass at Amman International Stadium. During his trip, Francis prayed at the Israeli West Bank barrier and also visited the Victims of Acts of Terror Memorial with the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Francis concluded his tour by meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew I to continue inter-faith dialogue with the Orthodox Church.
South Korea (August 14 to August 18, 2014)
Pope Francis announced in his Angelus address on June 15, 2014 that he would make a one day visit to the city of Tirana in Albania. He said: "With this brief visit, I want to confirm the Church of Albania in the faith, and bear witness to my encouragement and love for a country that has suffered for so long in consequence of the ideologies of the past".
Philippines and Sri Lanka (January 12 to 19, 2015)
United States (September 2015)
Pope Francis has announced his intention to visit the United States in Philadelphia on the occassion of the World Meeting of Families which is slated for September 22-27. The Vatican has also announced that the Pope is considering visiting New York City, the United Nations and Washington D.C.
Philippines (January 25 to 31, 2016)
Pope Francis will visit his nation and two neighbour countries during the bicentennial of the 1816 Argentine Declaration of Independence. The date was also selected to be after the 2015 presidential elections, to avoid interfering with it.
On the "exposition of Jesuit St Francis Xavier", The BJP-ruled Goa sought to have Pope Francis visit Goa at some stage in 2014.
There was also a delegation from Philadelphia trying to get Pope Francis to come to the United States of America for the 2015 World Meeting of Families in their city.
- "Why Bergoglio travels so little". Vatican Insider. March 29, 2014. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "Pilgrims meet Pope Francis in Brazil". RTE. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Fr. Lombardi: Brazil is the only scheduled foreign trip for Pope Francis in 2013". Vatican Radio. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Pope Francis celebrates Brazil Mass on Copacabana beach". BBC. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Pope Francis to visit the Holy Land - Europe". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "Pope leaves Holy Land after hectic three-day tour". haaretz.com. Haaretz Group. 2014-05-26. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "Crowds welcome Pope Francis to Jordan at start of Holy Land trip". CNN. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "The Pope's Holy-Land Trip Wasn't About the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict". The Atlantic. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Why the meeting between pope and patriarch in Jerusalem matters". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Pope Francis to visit South Korea". News.va. 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "Pope to visit Albania". Vatican Radio. June 15, 2014. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- "His Holiness Pope Francis is to visit Sri Lanka in January next year.". slbc.lk. 2014-05-20. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- "Pope Francis to visit Sri Lanka". slbc.lk. 2014-02-10. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- "Pope Francis is coming to America in September 2015: Philadelphia's archbishop". Daily News. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Detalles de la visita de Francisco a la Argentina" [Details of the visit of Francis to Argentina] (in Spanish). Clarín. May 17, 2014. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Pope Francis accepts invitation to visit Mexico". Fox News Latino. 7 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Paul, Cithara (2013-06-30). "BJP, Church bid to bring Pope to Goa raises hopes of new ties". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "Visit To The Vatican: Delegation to Discuss Plans for 2015 Gathering, Request Pope Francis Visit". CBS Philadelphia. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Official webpage from the Vatican: Apostolic Voyages outside Italy
|This Christianity-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|