List of people associated with rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (November 2009)|
- Casey Jones – Illinois Central engineer whose death in a 1900 train wreck was made famous in song and legend
- Jeme Tien Yow – distinguished Chinese railroad engineer often called the Father of China's railroad.
- Albert Lacombe made a railroad though Blackfoot territory.
Railroad Tycoons & Businessmen
- Erastus Corning – Formed the nucleus of what would become the great New York Central Railroad
- Charles Crocker – One of the Big Four co-founders of the Central Pacific Railroad
- Eugene V. Debs – Labor organizer, founding member of Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, and participant in the infamous Pullman Strike
- Daniel Drew – Robber baron involved in the stock manipulation of the Erie Railroad with Fisk and Gould
- James Fisk – Robber baron involved in the stock manipulation of the Erie Railroad with Gould and Drew
- Jay Gould – Robber baron involved in the stock manipulation of the Erie Railroad with Fisk and Drew
- Edward H. Harriman – President of the Union Pacific and the Southern Pacific, and directed the unification of both railroads
- James J. Hill – Founder of the Great Northern Railway, builder of first transcontinental railroad without federal subsidies or land grants
- Cyrus K. Holliday – Founder of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway
- Mark Hopkins – One of the Big Four co-founders of the Central Pacific Railroad
- Collis P. Huntington – One of the Big Four co-founders of the Central Pacific Railroad, founder of Huntington, West Virginia while helping construct the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway
- George Pullman – Inventor of the Pullman sleeper (a luxury sleeping car) and founder of the Pullman Company
- Leland Stanford – One of the Big Four co-founders of the Central Pacific Railroad, president of the Southern Pacific Railroad, governor of California, and founder of Stanford University
- Arthur Stilwell – Founder of the Kansas City Southern Railway, as well as several cities, among them Port Arthur, TX which is named after Stilwell.
- Cornelius Vanderbilt – After spending the first 70 years of his life building a successful ferry business, controlled and expanded the New York Central Railroad into an empire and ordered construction of the first Grand Central Terminal.
Inventors and innovators
- Grenville M. Dodge – Chief engineer of the Union Pacific Railroad and helped construct the first American transcontinental railroad.
- Fred Harvey – Revolutionized passenger train onboard services, making travel by train more comfortable.
- Theodore Judah – Chief engineer of the Central Pacific Railroad and passionate supporter of the first American transcontinental railroad
- Otto Kuhler – industrial designer
- Raymond Loewy – industrial designer
- Anatole Mallet – Inventor of the articulated locomotive, commonly called the Mallet locomotive
- Charles Minot – General Superintendent of the Erie Railroad, first to use the telegraph to dispatch trains in 1851
- Wilhelm von Pressel – designer of the Baghdad Railway
- George Stephenson – the "Father of British Steam Railways", inventor of the Rocket steam locomotive (the first "modern" locomotive), and pioneer of the 4 ft 8 ½ inch rail gauge
- Richard Trevithick – Credited with the 1804 invention of the steam locomotive
- George Westinghouse – Inventor of the air brake
- Girard Scott Ferguson Union Pacific Signal Design Manager, Inventor of the micron electronic timer