List of people from Bangalore
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of notable people from Bangalore.
- 1 Medical and health experts
- 2 Scientists
- 3 Politicians
- 4 Kannada writers
- 5 Other writers
- 6 Entrepreneurs
- 7 Sportspersons
- 8 Entertainers
- 9 Architects
- 10 Spiritual leaders
- 11 Others
- 12 See also
- 13 References
Medical and health experts
- Dr. H. Sudarshan - graduated from Bangalore Medical College. Went on to win the Right Livelihood Award and Padma Sri for work with the Soliga tribe of Biligirirangan Hills.
- Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty -Cardiac surgeon(Bangalore)
- Sir M. Visvesvarayya, engineer and statesman
- Bangalore Puttaiya Radhakrishna, geologist
- Dr. Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan, astrophysicist, former Chairman of ISRO, member of Rajya Sabha
- Dr. C. N. R. Rao, Indian Institute of Science (Material Sciences)
- K.C. Reddy, Former Chief Minister
- Kadidal Manjappa, Former Chief Minister
- Devaraj Urs, Former Chief Minister
- Basappa Danappa Jatti, Former Vice-President
- B.Vaikunta Vaikunta Baliga, Former Law Minister, & Former Speaker, Mysore State
- George Fernandes, Former Defense Minister
- H.D. Deve Gowda, Former Prime Minister
- Kamaladevi Chattopadhyaya
- Kengal Hanumanthaiah, Former Chief Minister
- Ramakrishna Hegde, Former Chief Minister
- J.H.Patel, Former Chief Minister
- Gundu Rao, Former Chief Minister
- S Nijalingappa, Former Chief Minister
- M.N. Jois, Former M.L.C, Deputy Speaker of Legislative Council - Mysore Stat
- Veerendra Patil, Former Chief Minister
- S.R.Bommai, Former Chief Minister
- S.M. Krishna, Former External Affairs Minister of India, Former Governor of Maharashtra & Former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Dharam Singh, Former Chief Minister
- Siddaramaiah, Former Deputy Chief Minister
- Veerappa Moily, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Former Chief Minister
- S.Bangarappa, Former Chief Minister
- H.N.Ananth Kumar, Former Union Minister & M.P.
- H.D.Kumaraswamy, Former Chief Minister
- B.S.Yediyurappa, Former Chief Minister
- K.H. Muniyappa, Union minister of state for Railways
- Mallikarjun Kharge, Former State Minister (various portfolios), Current Union Labour Minister in the Manmohan Singh Government
- Qamar ul Islam, Former Housing & Labour Minister
- H.Vishwanath, Former Minister
- Jayalalitha, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- V.S.Acharya, Former Minister for Medical Education of Karnataka
- M. A. M. Ramaswamy, Rajya Sabha MP and Industrialist
- S. K. Amin, Ex-vice president of the South Kanara District Congress Committee and MLA
- Kuvempu – poet, Jnanpith awardee
- Da Ra Bendre – poet, Jnanpith awardee
- K.Shivaram Karanth – Kannada writer, Jnanapith awardee
- Masti Venkatesh Iyengar – Jnanpith awardee
- V K Gokak – writer, Jnanapith awardee
- Girish Karnad – Kannada writer, playwright, actor, Jnanpith awardee
- U. R. Ananthamurthy – Kannada writer, thinker and Jnanpith awardee
- Chandrashekhar Kambar - For his Contributions to Kannada Literature jnanapith awardee
- T. P. Kailasam – Kannada writer, playwright
- K. S. Nissar Ahmed – Kannada poet
- Sudha Murthy
- Malathi Rao, English language writer and Sahitya Akademi award winner
- Mahesh Dattani, English playwright and Sahitya Akademi award winner
- Anita Nair, English author of the books Ladies Coupe and Mistress
- Kushalappa, English writer
- Vidyadhar Durgekar,English author of the book 'Sale of Souls'
- Azim Premji, India's richest man (as of 2004[update]). Founder of Wipro Technologies
- Vijay Mallya, CEO of UB Group, owner of the Kingfisher brand, Royal Challengers Bangalore Cricket team and Force India F1 team.
- Kiran Mazumdar, founder of Biocon, a bio-technology company
- N. R. Narayana Murthy, founder of Infosys
- G. R. Gopinath, founder of Deccan Aviation and Deccan 360
- V. G. Siddhartha, founder of Café Coffee Day
- Ramjee Chandran, founder, Managing Director of Explocity Group of magazines and websites.
- Ashwini Nachappa, Former athlete
- Pankaj Advani, Billiards & Snooker World Champion
- Gundappa Ranganath Vishwanath, Former Indian cricket captain (1979–80) and most stylish batsman.
- Rahul Dravid, batsmen, Former India Captain and has taken highest number of catches in international cricket
- Anil Kumble, Leg Spinner, Test Captain, India's highest wicket taker
- B.S. Chandrashekhar, Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1972
- Erapalli Prasanna, Retired [India's legendary Off Spinner]
- Javagal Srinath, retired fast bowler, Match Refree
- Shantha Rangaswamy, Former India Women's Cricket Team Captain
- Syed Kirmani, Retired Wicket Keeper
- Venkatesh Prasad, retired fast bowler, India's former Bowling Coach.
- Vijay Bhardwaj,
- Roger Binny, all rounder
- Raghuram Bhat, left-arm spinner
- Dodda Ganesh, medium pacer .
- Robin Uthappa
- Sunil Joshi, all rounder
- Nisha Millet, Olympian at Sydney Olympics 2000
Kannada & Indian Cinema
- Ambareesh, actor, 'Mandyada Gandu'
- Anushka Sharma, model, actress
- Anant Nag, actor, brother of Shankar Nag
- Deepika Padukone, model, actress
- Dwarkeesh, actor, comedian
- Feroz Khan, actor, editor, producer, director
- Hamsalekha, music director, lyricist, dramatist
- Kiran Rao, producer, screenwriter, and director.
- Prema, actress
- Puneet Rajkumar, actor, youngest son of Dr. Rajkumar
- Puttanna Kanagal, late director
- Raghavendra Rajkumar, actor, second son of Dr. Rajkumar
- Dr. Rajkumar, actor, singer, cultural icon
- Rakshita, actress
- V. Ravichandran, actor, director, producer, music director, editor
- Sanjay Khan,producer, director and actor
- Shankar Nag, late actor, producer, director
- Shivaraj Kumar, actor, eldest son of Dr. Rajkumar
- Soundarya, late actress, also acted in other South Indian films.
- Sreenath, actor, Pranaya Raja, 'Shubha Mangala'
- Upendra, director, actor, producer
- Dr. Vishnuvardhan, actor, 'Sahasa Simha'
- Vishwanath Ayengar, director
- Vasundhara Das, actress and singer
- Jaggesh, actor
- Kashinath, actor
- Sudeep, Actor, Director,
- Kiran, Actor, Director ,
- Ramya, Actor
- Suchitra Raghavendra, Actor
- Shakuntala Devi - Popularly known as the "Human calculator"
- R. K. Baliga, Founder of the Electronics City in Bangalore
- A. N. Prahlada Rao, Kannada crossword writer
- Lakshmi Menon, the first internationally successful Indian model
- Ritu Parni - Popularly known as the role model."
- Prajamata, Bangalore, August 30, 1970, p.26.