List of people from Compton, California
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article lists notable people who are natives of Compton, California, or have been residents of the city.
- Omar Bradley - former mayor of Compton
- George H. W. Bush - U.S. President; resided briefly in Compton circa 1949-1950
- George W. Bush - U.S. President; resided briefly in Compton circa 1949-1950
- Lionel Cade - another former mayor of Compton
- Del M. Clawson - US Congressman and former mayor of Compton 
- Doris A. Davis - The first African-American female mayor of a metropolitan city, Compton
- Douglas Dollarhide - California's first African-American mayor of a metropolitan city, Compton
- Roger Hedgecock - 30th mayor of San Diego, radio talk show host
- Eric J. Perrodin - Mayor of Compton
- Paul H. Richards II - former Compton City Manager and former mayor of Lynwood, California
- Walter R. Tucker, Jr. - former mayor of Compton
- Walter R. Tucker III - former U.S. Congressman & Compton mayor, son of Walter R. Tucker Jr.
Arts and entertainment
- Anthony Anderson - actor & comedian
- James Coburn - actor
- Jacob Lusk - top five finalist on 2011 American Idol
- Lynn Manning - award-winning playwright & co-founder of Watts Village Theater Company
- Niecy Nash - actress, comedienne, dancer, Style Network host of Clean House TV show
- Krist Novoselic - bassist of Nirvana
- Al Roker - television personality, NBC
- Mort Sahl - satirist & comedian
- Leslie Sykes - television news anchor
- TQ - singer
- James Wheaton - actor, writer & educator
- Gumbel, Andrew (2002-02-16). "Guns, death threats and fraud in the battle for Compton". The Independent (London). Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- Parmet, Herbert S. George Bush: The Life of a Lone Star Yankee. New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction. ISBN 0-7658-0730-0. Retrieved 2009-04-25. "They were living in Compton in 1949 ...."
- "George H.W. Bush Collection". George Bush Presidential Library and Museum. 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- "George W. Bush and Robin Bush, Compton, California.". George Bush Presidential Library and Museum. December 1949.
- "George W. Bush, Compton, CA". George Bush Presidential Library and Museum. Spring 1950.
- "Compton : Former Councilman and Mayor Lionel Cade Dies". Los Angeles Times. 1990-04-12.
- "This Week In Black History". Jet. 2001-06-11. Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- Bermudez, Esmeralda (2008-07-09). "Douglas Dollarhide, 85; community leader was first black mayor of Compton". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- De Gruy, Leiloni (2009-04-22). "Voters Return Perrodin to City Hall". Los Angeles Wave. Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- Los Angeles Times http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/lynwood-ca
|url=missing title (help).
- "Ex-Rep. Tucker Draws Prison For Extortion". The New York Times. 1996-04-19. p. A18. Retrieved April 25, 2009.
- Barnes, Evan (2008-07-24). "For Bolden, success is more than a journey". Los Angeles Sentinel. Retrieved April 26, 2009.
- Hoffer, Richard (1995-01-23). "Lake Show". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved April 26, 2009.
- Bock, Hal (9 August 2001). "Serena Williams disappointed, but not much". USA Today. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Worth, Robert F. (2002-11-20). "James Coburn, 74, Is Dead; A Sly Presence in 80 Films". The New York Times. p. B8. Retrieved April 26, 2009.
- Willman, Chris (1995-12-29). "1995: The Entertainers". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 26, 2009.