List of people from Haryana
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: extraneous punctuation, random capitalization and bolding, honorifics, inconsistent list formatting. (April 2012)|
|Regions with significant populations|
Primary populations in:Haryana
|predominantly Hinduism, Minorities of Islam, Buddhism & Jainism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Indo-Aryans and Indo-Scythians|
This is a list of notable people from Haryana, also referred as Haryanvi.
- Suman Kundu, born in Kalwa, Jind.
- Geeta Phogat, born in Bhiwani.
- Chandgi Ram, born in Sisai, Hisar district.
- Lila Ram, born in Mandola, Bhiwani district
- Vikas Krishan Yadav, born in Singhwa Khas, Hisar district.
- Dinesh Kumar, born in Bhiwani.
- Manoj Kumar, born in Rajound, Kaithal district.
- Jagdish Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Vijender Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Kapil Dev, born in Haryana.
- Ashish Nehra
- Joginder Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Ajay Ratra, born in Faridabad.
- Joginder Sharma, born in Rohtak.
- Amit Mishra
- Chetan Sharma
- Manvinder Bisla
- Mohit Sharma
- Virender Sehwag
- Ajay Jadeja
- Nitin Saini
- Sandeep Singh Saini
- Suman Bala, born in Shahbad Markanda.
- Sita Gussain
- Jasjeet Kaur Handa.
- Surinder, born in Shahbad.
- Mamta Kharab, born in Rohtak.
- Pritam Rani Siwach, born in Jharsa, Gurgaon.
- Dalel Singh Ror, born in Amin, Kurukshetra.
- Balwant Singh Sagwal, born in Kaul, Kaithal district.
Arts, entertainment, and films
- Ghulam Farid Sabri Qawwal, a leading member of the Sabri Brothers/Qawwali Group. He Born in 1930 Kalyana, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Baba Ramdev, born in Mahendragarh.
- Surinder Sharma, born in Karontha, Rohtak.
- Nek Chand Saini
- Sonu Nigam, born in Faridabad.
- Parineeti Chopra, born in Ambala.
- J.B. Chaudhary.
- Yashpal Sharma (actor), born in Hisar.
- Rajkummar Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Manish Joshi Bismil, born in Hisar.
- Jaideep Ahlawat, born in Village Kharkara Rohtak.
- Randeep Hooda, born in Jaseya, Rohtak.
- Mohit Ahlawat, born in Panipat.
- Yash Tonk, born in Sonipat.
- Om Puri, born in Ambala.
- Mallika Sherawat, born in Rohtak is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Juhi Chawla, born in Ambala is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Srishti Rana Born in Faridabad is an Indian beauty queen.
- Zohrabai Ambalewali (1918-1990), Born in Ambala, Indian classical singer and playback singer in Hindi cinema in the 1930s and 40s.
- Major general Rao Farman Ali Khan,born 1923 in, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab,(Unit: 26th Field Artillery Regiment,Pak Army). He fought World War-II, Indo-Pak war 47,65,71...
- Samrat Hem Chandra Vikramaditya.
- General Vijay Kumar Singh, born in Bapora, Bhiwani.
- Hon. Captain Umrao Singh Yadav (1920–2005), born in Palra, Jhajjar, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC).
- Lt.Colonel Hoshiar Singh, born in Sisana, Sonipat, recipient of Param Vir Chakra (1971 war).
- Lieutenant Colonel Dharam Singh was born on 10 July 1910 in village Badesara, Bhiwani district, Haryana. For his gallantry he received the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 8 November 1948.
- Lance Naik Hari Singh was born on 26 September 1920 in Badanpur village, Jind district, Haryana. For his gallantry he was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 17 March 1948.
- Subedar Richhpal Ram (August 20, 1899 – February 12, 1941), born in Barda, Mahendragarh, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC)on on 4 July 1941.
- Dr. Sarup Singh (1917-2003), Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi (1971-1974), Governor of Gujarat and Kerala.
- Syed Qasim Mahmood: He is Writer, Encyclopedist, Intellectual, Editor, Born (17 November 1928) Kharkhoda, Sonipat, Haryana/East Punjab.
Revolutionaries and freedom fighters
- Samrat Hem Chandra Vikramaditya from Rewari, a warrior who defeated Mughals in 1553-1556
- Rao Tula Ram, revolutionary leader in 1857 revolt.
- Sir Chhotu Ram (1881–1945).
- Dharam Singh Hayatpur, revolutionary leader.
- Ganga Singh Gurjar, Freedom fighter of India who took active part in the Great revolt of 1857.
- Nihal Singh Takshak also former Education Inspector with Birla Institute Pilani.
- Ranbir Singh Hooda, Member of the first Constituent Assembly that framed Indian Constitution. Died 2009.
- Seth Chhaju Ram
- Subhash Chandra, Founder Zee TV, Chairman ESSEL Group.
- Om Prakash O.P. Jindal, Former Member of Parliament, Haryana Power Minister, Founder — Jindal Group of Companies, hailing from Hissar
- Naveen Jindal, industrialist son of O.P. Jindal, Member of Parliament, hailing from Hissar
- Sajjan Jindal, industrialist son of O.P.. Jindal, hailing from Hisar, India.
- Cheti Lal Verma (1921-2000) was an industrialist from Haryana, India, owner of Continental Construction Ltd.
- Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, First Prime Minister of Pakistan, First Defence Minister of Pakistan, First Finance Minister of India. He born (1 October 1895) in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Sikandar Iqbal,from Kalanaur, Haryana/East Punjab, 25th Defence Minister of Pakistan from 2002 to 2007.
- Rana Phool Muhammad Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, Best Politician.Founder of Phool Nagar.
- Rana Muhammad Iqbal Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, 9th & 10th(current)Speaker Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
- Rao Muhammad Afzal Khan,Born in 1925 in Kalanaur, Rohtak District, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Hashim Khan Born in Balyali Village, Bawani Kheda tehsil, Bhiwani district, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Hina Rabbani Khar, First Muslim,Pakistani Female Foreign Minister of Pakistan
- B. D. Sharma, first Chief Minister of the state
- Rao Birender Singh was the second chief minister of Haryana.
- Bansi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, former Railway Minister of India
- Bhajan Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana.
- Devi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, 6th Deputy Prime Minister of India
- Mahendra Chaudhry, Former Prime Minister of Fiji
- Om Prakash Chautala Former Chief Minister of Haryana, son of Devi Lal
- Avtar Singh Bhadana born in Faridabad is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Faridabad constituency of Haryana and is a prominent leader of Gurjars and a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) political party.
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda, born in rohtak. is an Indian politician and leader of the Indian National Congress who has been Chief Minister of Haryana since March 2005.
- Sushma Swaraj,She was born in Palwal.She is a former Union Cabinet Minister of India and a former Chief Minister of Delhi. She was country's youngest Cabinet Minister at 25 years of age (1977).
- Arvind Kejriwal, from Hisar, Haryana, the Chief Minister Designate for Delhi.
Zaildars during British rule
- "This Woman Scaled Mt. Everest Twice in One Year!". iDiva. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Saini, Manvir (9 October 2010). "Medallist's mother had no television to watch her play". The Times Of India. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Wrestler Geeta dedicates gold medal to dad". rediff.com. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Asian games medallist Chandgi Ram passes away". Hindustan Times. 20 June 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Wrestlers pay tribute to Padma Shri Lila Ram". Chandigarh: The Tribune. 12 October 2003. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Profile: Saina Nehwal". Badminton Association of India. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Vikas Krishan - Biography". International Boxing Association. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Dinesh Kumar". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Sharma, Nitin (1 September 2010). "Manoj only new face in boxing". Indian Express. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Mohan, Raman (30 August 2007). "BBC: Cradle of champions". Chandigarh: The Tribune. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Jayaram, Rahul (31 August 2008). "If I fight again I’ll beat him for sure ... I won't make the same mistakes again". Kolkata: The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Kapil Dev — Player Webpage". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2007-03-17.
- "Haryana to give best sportsperson award to Sehwag, Nehra". The Times Of India. 3 April 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "India / Players / Joginder Rao". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "India / Players / Ajay Ratra". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Joginder Sharma". Playr. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Suman Bala Saini". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana clinches gold". Sportstar 24. 15–21 December 2001. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Hockey". Shree Haryana Seva Samiti. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Surinder Kaur to lead Indian women Hockey squad". Punjab Newsline. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Mukesh Thapliyal (28 November 2011). "Mamta Kharab to lead India in four nationâ??s hockey tournament". News Track India. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Preetam Rani Sivach". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "DALEL SINGH ROR VIDEO | INTERVIEWS". OVGuide. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- http://www.volleyballindia.com/VFI%20SITE%20OLD/FLASH%20NEWS/Ballu.pdf. Volleyball India. p. 1.
- "Swami Ramdev - A Biography". Yog Pranayam. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "President Profile". Haryana State Pharmacy Council. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "A garden with a rare fragrance - Rock Garden, Chandigarh". India Video. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Sonu Nigam". Indya Rocks. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Parineeti Chopra: Who is she?". India Today. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "JB Choudhary - Padma Shri award winner". JAT Indian Jat Community. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Subhash K. Jha (September 8, 2006). "Yashpal Sharma turns a good guy on screen". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Zohrabai, Amirbai and Rajkumari". Women on Record. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Hemu’s coronation day observed". The Tribune, Chandigarh, Haryana, India. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Army Chief Gen V K Singh to retire tomorrow". The Indian Express. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Major Hoshiar Singh". Bharat Rakshak. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Dr. Sarup Singh Governor of Gujarat Profile Governor of Gujarat Official website.
- Rana Phool Muhammad Khan
- Rao Muhammad Afzal Khan
- History of Hisar: From Inception to Independence, 1935-1947, pp 312, M. M. Juneja, Published by Modern Book Co., 1989