List of people from Karnataka
||It has been suggested that List of people of North Karnataka be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2011.|
This is a list of famous and notable people from Karnataka, India. In order to be included, a person of influence needs only to have been born in Karnataka. This article can be expanded to accommodate newly-surfacing information.
- 1 Arts and entertainment
- 1.1 Cinema
- 1.2 Theatre
- 1.3 Ancient Architecture & Sculpture
- 1.4 Modern Art, Contemporary Art - Painting, Sculpture, Puppetry, New Media Art & Art Criticism
- 1.5 Music
- 1.6 Fashion
- 2 Great Kings and Nobles
- 3 Industrialists
- 4 Health care
- 5 Science and technology
- 6 Literature
- 7 Politicians
- 8 Bureaucrats
- 9 Cooperative movement
- 10 Religion and philosophy
- 11 Yoga
- 12 Wildlife and Environment
- 13 Historians, Art Historians, Epigraphists and Archaeologists
- 14 Social Service
- 15 Sports
- 16 Military
- 17 Judiciary
- 18 Award Winners
- 19 Others
- 20 See also
Arts and entertainment
Ancient Architecture & Sculpture
Modern Art, Contemporary Art - Painting, Sculpture, Puppetry, New Media Art & Art Criticism
Classical Music - Carnatic
Classical Music - Hindustani
Smt. Sulochana Huligi (Vocal)
Great Kings and Nobles
- Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Cardiovascular Surgeon.
- Dr. M. C. Modi, Eye Surgeon.
- Dr. Sharan Patil, Orthopaedic Surgeon.
- Dr. Y. G. Parameshwara
Science and technology
- C. N. R. Rao, Chemistry.
- C. R. Rao, Statistics.
- M. C. Modi, Ophthalmology.
- Narayan Hosmane, Biochemistry, Cancer Research.
- Raja Ramanna, Physics.
- Roddam Narasimha, Aerospace, Atmospheric Sciences.
- U. R. Rao, Space Science.
- B. N. Suresh
- S. K. Shivkumar
- K. N. Shankara
- Arun Netravali, Bell Lab.
- Kumar Malavalli, Co-founder, Brocade Communication Systems.
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya.
- C B Muthamma, first woman IFS officer
- C. G. Somiah, Comptroller and Auditor General of India (1990-1996)
- Shankar Bidari,IPS, DGP, Karnataka.
- Abdul Rahman Infant, IPS, DGP, Karnataka.
- Dr.M.H.Marigowda, Former Director of Horticulture.
- H. T. Sangliana, Former Police Officer, and M.P. Lok Sabha.
- Daya Nayak
- S. K. Amin Founder of South Kanara District Co-Operative Fish Marketing Federation
Religion and philosophy
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya - known as "the father of modern yoga" and reviver of Hatha Yoga.
- B.K.S. Iyengar
- Geeta Iyengar
- Jaggi Vasudev
- Malladihalli Sri Raghavendra Swamiji
- Pattabhi Jois
Wildlife and Environment
Historians, Art Historians, Epigraphists and Archaeologists
- Dr. Shikaripura Ranganatha Rao
- Dr. B.A. Saletore
- Dr. P.B. Desai
- P. Gururaja Bhat
- G. S. Gai
- A. N. Narasimhia
- B. L. Rice
- Sree Sree Shivakumara Swamiji
- S. K. Amin
- Malladihalli Sri Raghavendra Swamiji
- Sudha Murthy
- Tulsi Gowda
- Veerendra Heggade
- Saalumarada Thimmakka
- B. P. Govinda (former captain, Arjun award)
- M. P. Ganesh (former captain, Arjun Award)
- Ashish Ballal
- Arjun Halappa
- M M Somaiya (former captain)
- Ashwini Nachappa, Athletics
- J. J. Shobha, Athletics
- Vandana Rao, Athletics
- Vandana Shanbagh,athlete, Olympion, Arjuna awardee
- Vikas Gowda, discus thrower
- Girisha Nagarajegowda, men's high jump F-42 category, Jump (F42) – Paralympics Silver
- C.C. Machaiah, former boxer, Olympian and coach, 1978 Arjuna Awardee
- Chetan Baboor, Table Tennis
- Nisha Millet, Swimming
- Pankaj Advani, Billiards
- Malathi Krishnamurthy Holla
- Ajjamada B Devaiah, Pilot in Indian air force, Maha Vir Chakra (posthumous), war martyr.
- Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa, Commander-in-Chief, Indian Armed Forces
- Gen.K. S. Thimayya, Chief of Staff, Indian Army
- Gen. A C Iyappa, Prisoner-of-War in World War II, Indian Army, BEL chief.
- Air Marshal C D Subbaiah, VrC, PVSM, World War II fighter pilot, Indian Army.
- Ramesh Halagali, AVSM, SM, Deputy Chief of Indian Army.
- Major M C Muthanna, killed by terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, Shaurya Chakra awardee.
- Justice Manepalli Narayana Rao Venkatachaliah, Retired Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
- Justice N Y Hanumanthappa, Chief Justice of Orissa High Court and Ex-Member of Parliament, Chitra Durga
- Justice Santhosh Hegde, Retired Supreme Court Judge
- Justice H.L.Dattu, Supreme Court Judge
- Justice V. Gopala Gowda, Supreme Court Judge
- Kuvempu for his epic Sri Ramayana Darshanam in 1969.
- D. R. Bendre for his anthology of poems Naku Thanthi in 1974.
- K. Shivaram Karanth for his novel Mookajjiya Kanasugalu in 1977.
- Masti Venkatesha Iyengar for his historical novel Chikkaveera Rajendra in 1983.
- V. K. Gokak for Bharatha Sindhu Rashmi in 1990.
- U. R. Ananthamurthy for his monumental contributions in 1994.
- Girish Karnad for his monumental contributions to Kannada literature and for contributions to Kannada theatre (Yayati)in 1998.
- Chandrashekhara Kambara for his monumental contributions to Kannada literature in 2010.
- S. L. Bhyrappa for his novel Mandra in 2010.
- A.N.Prahlada Rao, Crossword writer, created 40,000 crosswords
- Shakuntala Devi,calculating prodigy and also called human computer.
- Naa Someswara, a Doctor by profession. Quiz master of 'Thatt anta hEli' quiz competition of Chandana, Bangalore Doordrshan. Holds Limca book of records for quizzing highest number of quizzes in any Indian television channels.
- Thumbay Moideen - Founder President - THUMBAY Group & Founder President - Board of Governors, Gulf Medical University - First Kannadiga to have established a Medical University and Teaching Hospital in the Gulf.
- G. S. Paramasivaiah - One of the founders of Karnataka University. He was a student of the Nobel-laureate Sir CV Raman was the first Principal of the Karnatak Science College, Dharwad.. He was also the Secretary of KLE Society Belgaum.
- K B Ganapathy, Editor of Mysooru Mithra and Star of Mysore