List of political parties in Malta
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
This article lists political parties in Malta. Since World War II Maltese political culture has developed into a two-party system dominated by the Nationalist Party and the Labour Party. Although other political parties have presented candidates and, in some cases, elected MPs, in most cases these were splinter groups of the main parties and, on the rare occasions when they were successful, this success was short-lived.
Active political parties
In Malta there is no law requiring the registration and regulation of political parties. The General Elections Act does make the necessary provisions for party participation in the process but these is no official list in between elections.
The following parties contested the last parliamentary election, but failed to win a seat:
- Democratic Alternative (Malta) (Alternattiva Demokratika)
- Imperium Europa
- Alpha Liberal Democratic Party (Alpha Partit Liberali demokratiku)
- Alleanza Liberal-Demokratika Malta
Former political parties
- Constitutional Party
- Malta Workers Party
- National Action (Azzjoni Nazzjonali)
- Christian Workers Party Active during to 1960's Church/MLP conflict