List of political parties in Paraguay
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
This article lists political parties in Paraguay. Paraguay was a one party dominant state with the Colorado Party until the Paraguayan General Election in 2008 when the opposition, Patriotic Alliance for Change, won the presidency.
- Authentic Radical Liberal Party (Partido Liberal Radical Auténtico, PLRA)
- Party for a Country of Solidarity (Partido País Solidario, PPS)
- Progressive Democratic Party (Partido Democrático Progesista, PDP)
- National Republican Association (Asociación Nacional Republicana/Partido Colorado, ANR)
- Beloved Fatherland Party (Partido Patria Querida, PPQ)
- National Union of Ethical Citizens (Unión Nacional de Ciudadanos Éticos, UNACE)
- Country Forward (Avanza Pais, AP)
- Paraguayan Communist Party (Partido Comunista Paraguayo)
- Revolutionary Socialist Party (Partido Socialista Revolucionario)
- Workers' Party (Partido de los Trabajadores)
The Paraguayan Liberal Party fought with the Colorado Party for dominance of the country during the first half of the 20th century. By the end of the Alfredo Stroessner regime the Liberal Party of Paraguay no longer existed, but its political successor, the Authentic Radical Liberal Party, is now the second largest political party in the country.