List of portable software
||The inclusion or exclusion of items from this list, or length of this list, is disputed. Please discuss this issue on the talk page.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
For the purposes of this list, a portable application is software that can be used from portable storage devices such as USB flash drives, digital audio players, PDAs  or external hard drives. To be considered for inclusion, an application must be executable on multiple computers from removable storage without installation, and without writing settings or data onto a computer's non-removable storage. This includes modified portable versions of non-portable applications.
- 1 Bundles
- 2 Launchers
- 3 Development
- 4 Visual mapping/productivity tools
- 5 Graphics
- 6 Document-based
- 7 Educational
- 8 Games
- 9 Internet
- 10 Miscellaneous
- 11 Multimedia
- 12 Networking
- 13 Other tools
- 14 PDF tools
- 15 Security and encryption
- 16 System maintenance
- 17 See also
- 18 References
- Appetizer (Dock application)
- jPort Java enabled launcher
- Portable Python
- Portable NSIS Version
- Portable AutoIt
- Portable AutoHotkey (for portability download the zip file from autohotkey.com)
- Portable Perl (Strawberry Perl Portable Version)
- Alice IDE
- Portable Eclipse
- Portable Code::Blocks (needs MinGW installed, which is portable too)
- Portable Dev-C++
- Hackety Hack, which is an educational version of ruby, can be installed on pendrive.
- JCreator Not entirely portable, because it leaves some settings on the host computer.
- SharpDevelop Portable
- InstallSimple portable
Visual mapping/productivity tools
3D modeling and rendering
- Anim8or – Free 3D modeling and animating software.
- Blender Pocket
- Anim8or – See Top
- Blender – See Top
- Pivot Stickfigure Animator
- K-3D – See Top
- Portable Inkscape – for Mac OS X
- Tux Paint
- @icon sushi
- GIMP – See Top – Supports reading and writing Windows ICO files.
- IrfanView – See Top – Supports converting graphic file formats into Windows ICO files.
Office and publishing
- AllMyNotes Organizer
- Atlantis Word Processor
- AkelPad – for portability, select Save Settings to INI File from Registry Tab in Settings dialog
- EmEditor Professional – for portability, select Import and Export on Tools menu
- Metapad – for portability in version 3.6 onwards, at first run use the /m switch or create a blank text file called metapad.ini in the same directory as the executable.
- NoteTab Light
- Programmer's Notepad
- PSPad – for portable use choose CAB archive
- SciTE – for portability, set SciTE_HOME environment variable
- Sublime Text
- TED Notepad – for portability; create tednpad.ini file
- VEDIT – for portability, check "Install onto removable USB drive" checkbox on the first setup dialog
- MyShelf Desktop – note taking application that is also freely available in a "Portable Edition"
- Personal Knowbase – note organizer. For portability, select the removable drive letter as "Destination" during installation.
- Cave Story
- Frets on Fire
- Secret Maryo Chronicles
- Tile World
- Warzone 2100
- Kerbal Space Program
- Dwarf Fortress
- Atari800 – Atari 5200 emulator
- DOSBox – MS-DOS emulator
- FCE Ultra – Nintendo Entertainment System emulator
- Jnes – Nintendo Entertainment System emulator
- Kawaks – Capcom's CPS-1 & CPS-2 and SNK's NeoGeo Arcade emulator
- MAME – Multiple Arcade Machine emulator:
- VisualBoyAdvance – Game Boy, Game Boy Color, & Game Boy Advance emulator
- ZSNES – Super Nintendo emulator
- Google Chrome Portable
- Firefox Portable
- Internet Explorer
- Maxthon Browser
- Netscape Navigator
- Operator YAPO
- Pocket K-Meleon
- SRWare Iron Portable
- XeroBank Browser
- Mail – for Mac OS X
- Mozilla Thunderbird Portable
- Pegasus Mail
- Opera (has integrated Email client)
- sylpheed get the zip version
- The Bat! Voyager
- Adium – for Mac OS X
- Bopup Messenger
- Brosix Inc.
- Google Talk
- Yahoo! Messenger
- Miranda IM
- Pidgin Portable (formerly Gaim Portable)
- Psi Portable
- Trillian Anywhere
- Portable iChat – for Mac OS X
- WxDownload Fast
- Free Download Manager – Note: installation required to create portable version.
- Opera (Integrated Download Manager)
- BitComet – Note: needs msxml.
- BitTornado – Note: needs msxml.
- Opera (integrated torrent client)
- μTorrent – Latest version runs independently
- Limewire Portable
- Vuze Portable
- ChatZilla Note: Requires a Mozilla based browser, e.g. SeaMonkey, or Firefox.
- Miranda IM
- mIRC Note: There is a U3 version of mIRC that can be installed on U3 drives. The original application is portable, leaving behind only the license key in the registry. (This may not be true with the newer versions that are vista-compatible, as their default user data area was changed to the user's application data folder.) Since v3.1, it can be started from a command line using the -portable switch to use settings, DLLs, and license keys that are stored in the same folder as mirc.exe.
- Pidgin (formerly Gaim)
- Opera (Integrated Irc client)
- Portable X-Chat Aqua – for Mac OS X
- EverNote (freeware & commercial versions)
- TiddlyWiki (Use a web browser on a local file. No network required.)
- DokuWiki (freeware version available complete with Apache)
- Ahnenblatt multilingual Genealogy software
- Moka5 LivePC Engine (Portable VMware). Note: Dynamically loads and unloads network drivers and requires administrator rights.
- Mojopac portable chopped down copy of windows. Requires administrator rights.
- WPI Scripted multiple applications installer.
- Any Video Converter
- Total video converter
- XMedia Recode
- Pazera Video Converters Suite
- Portable Audacity – for Windows and Mac OS X
- Audiobook Cutter Free Edition
- Reaper has a .bat file for a USB stick installation
- FLV player
- Media Player Classic
- foobar2000 – only supports xp and forward
- SMPlayer – download the 7zip version which is portable
- K-Multimedia Player – use zip version to make it portable
- The Core Pocket Media Player
- VLC Media Player
- Proxomitron – Filtering Web Proxy
- WinDump: Tcpdump for Windows
- VNC: RealVNC Viewer for Windows
- NetWorx Bandwidth history and tracking
- Portable Nvu and KompoZer – for Mac OS X and Windows.
- OpenOffice.org Portable – Complete office suite, which includes HTML editor.
- Directory Opus by selecting the USB/U3 export option
- X-file X-file for Windows 98SE/2K or later
- Servant Salamander 1.52
- Total Commander
- Quick Search Portable 126.96.36.199
- Everything 188.8.131.521
- Xplorer(2) Ultimate
- PeaZip, for Linux and Windows
- iZarc2go, Portable version of iZarc
- WinRAR, Portable version for Windows, still requires having a license for a regular version of WinRAR. The version number for WinRAR Unplugged is 184.108.40.206, while the latest WinRAR for Windows version is 4.11
Security and encryption
- HijackThis Powerful tool for listing all startup programs and other hidden system modifications.
Real-time disk/volume Encryption
Optimization and cleaning
Visual maps of free space and biggest files and folders on hard drive.
- CPU-Z – CPU and memory hardware details – clock and FSB speeds, SPD, OS version.
- CPU Speed Pro
- AIDA32 – freeware system information, diagnostics, and auditing program
- Speccy – System information tool.
- Portable Application
- List of LiveDistros
- Live USB
- Portable application creators
- VMware ThinApp, a virtualization suite (with the ability to make portable programs)
- Windows To Go
- makeuseof.com. "100 Portable Apps for your USB Stick". Retrieved 2008-01-24.
- Older Version of BLender