List of print media in New Zealand
This is a list of print media in New Zealand. New Zealand once had several daily newspapers in each major city, but as in other countries the medium was damaged by radio and then television, and each city now only has one daily newspaper.
There are no truly national newspapers, although The New Zealand Herald and to a lesser extent The Dominion Post are both available outside their core areas. The four main centres of Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin are served by The New Zealand Herald, The Dominion Post, The Press, and the Otago Daily Times. In addition, there are several weekly newspapers with a national scope, including two tabloids. There are also numerous low-budget weekly newspapers catering for particular suburbs or for subcultures including the gay and farming communities and various ethnic groups.
National weekly papers
- Hamilton News
- Hamilton Press
- Raglan Chronicle
- Te Awamutu Courier
- The Kaikoura Star
- South Waikato News
- The Weekend Sun
- Horowhenua Mail
- Horowhenua Chronicle
- Kapiti Observer
- Waitomo News
- The Star (Christchurch)
- The News (also called The Lakes District and Central Otago News), Alexandra
- The Star (Dunedin)
- The Courier (Ashburton)
- The Ensign (Gore)
- Southern Rural Life
- Southland Express (Invercargill)
- The Courier (Timaru)
- The Matamata Chronicle
- The Cambridge Edition
- Australian Women's Weekly NZ Edition
- Challenge Weekly
- New Zealand Listener
- New Zealand Woman's Weekly
Note: these newspapers are listed by decade of first issue.
- Joseph Ivess (1844–1919), who had an association with about 40 newspapers and founded many of them
- Rosenberg, Bill (2008-09-13). "News media ownership in New Zealand". Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "Press audit results". The New Zealand Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "PAEROA GAZETTE 1891 – 1991". ohinemuri.org.nz. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- Bruce Macdonald Brown (1966). "High Casualty Rate". Department of External Affairs. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- The I. W. W. and the General Strike in Aotearoa. Trouble Makers – Anarchism and Syndicalism. Takver.com (1999-08-16). Retrieved on 2012-07-03.
- Nicholas Evan Reid, The Bishop's Paper: A History of the Catholic Press of the Diocese of Auckland, CPC, Auckland, 2000, p. 55 ISBN 0473072181
- Harvey, Ross. "Ivess, Joseph – Biography". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Papers Past at the National Library of New Zealand – a digitised collection of some historical news papers