List of proxy wars
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
|Outline of war|
This is a list of proxy wars.
|Abyssinian–Adal war||1529–1543||Portuguese Empire||Ottoman Empire|
|American Revolutionary War||1775-1783|| Kingdom of France
|Samoan Civil War||1898–1899|| United States
|Finnish Civil War||1918||German Empire||Russian SFSR|
|Chaco War||1932–1935||Royal Dutch Shell||Standard Oil|
|Spanish Civil War||1936–1939|| Nazi Germany
Kingdom of Italy
|“||Mujahideen...many wearing plastic sandals and carrying rickety Soviet-era AK-47s, were requested to continue their role as "proxies", while US troops in helmets, kevlar armor and ...carrying the best weapons...the richest nation in history could provide, looked on. The term "proxy" had been revealed, not as a new word for "ally", but as a synonym for the older term "cannon fodder".||”|
|Arab-Israeli Conflict||after 1991|| Israel
|North Yemen Civil War||1962–1970||Saudi Arabia||United Arab Republic|
|Western Sahara War||1975–1991|| United States
|War in Afghanistan||2001-present|| United States
|Israel-Iran proxy conflict||2006–present||Israel||Iran|
|2006 Lebanon War||2006 (part of Israel-Iran proxy conflict)||Israel||Iran|
|Gaza War||2008–2009 (part of Israel-Iran proxy conflict)||Israel||Iran|
|Syrian civil war||2011-present|| Saudi Arabia
|Euromaidan||2014-present|| United States
- Archondo, Rafael, "La Guerra del Chaco: ¿hubo algún titiritero?", POBLACIÓN Y DESARROLLO 34: 29–39
- Stephen Tanner, "Afghanistan: A Military History", 2008
- Patrick Cockburn on U.S. Plans to Arm Syrian Rebels: Where is the Skepticism About Chemical Weapons? (mp4). Democracy Now!. June 14, 2013. Event occurs at 15:20. Retrieved June 15, 2013. "
- JUAN GONZÁLEZ: And the concerns in some circles that this is really developing into a proxy war with Iran and Hezbollah, rather than actually trying to deal with the situation internally within Syria?
- PATRICK COCKBURN: Yeah, it already has turned into a proxy war. You can see that with—Hezbollah and Iran were involved, but also the U.S. was—had already combined with Qatar to send weapons. Qatar has sent up to $3 billion to the rebels, 70 loads of flights of weapons, organized by—with the CIA."
- "Is a proxy war being waged in Ukraine?". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 6 March 2014.