List of psychic abilities
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
This is a list of psychic abilities that have been attributed to real-world people. These are also sometimes known as extrasensory perception or a sixth sense. Inclusion in this list does not imply scientific recognition of the existence of an ability. Superhuman abilities from fiction are not included.
- Apportation - Materialization, disappearance, or teleportation of an object.
- Aura reading - Perception of the energy fields surrounding people, places, and things.
- Automatic writing - Writing produced without conscious thought.
- Astral projection or mental projection - An out-of-body experience in which an "astral body" becomes separate from the physical body.
- Bilocation or multilocation - Being in multiple places at the same time.
- Clairaudience - receiving messages in thought form from another frequency or realm. It is considered a form of channeling.
- Clairvoyance, second sight - Perception outside the known human senses.
- Death-warning - A vision of a living person prior to his or her death.
- Divination - Gaining insight into a situation via a ritual.
- Dowsing - Ability to locate objects.
- Energy medicine - Healing by channeling a form of energy.
- Faith healing - Diagnosing and curing disease using religious devotion.
- Mediumship or channeling – Communicating with spirits.
- Precognition, premonition and precognitive dreams - Perception of events before they happen.
- Psychic surgery - Removal of diseased body tissue via an incision that heals immediately afterwards.
- Psychokinesis or telekinesis - Manipulation of matter or energy by the power of the mind.
- Psychometry or psychoscopy - Obtaining information about a person or object.
- Pyrokinesis - Manipulation of fire.
- Remote viewing - Gathering of information at a distance.
- Retrocognition - Perception of past events.
- Scrying - Use of an item to view events at a distance or in the future.
- Telepathy - Transfer of thoughts or emotions.
- Transvection - Bodily levitation or flying.
- Fontana, David (2005). Is There an Afterlife: A Comprehensive Review of the Evidence. Hants, UK: O Books. pp. 352–381. ISBN 1-903816-90-4.
- "Glossary of Parapsychology Terms". Retrieved September 2010.
- Suki Miller (1995). After Death: How People around the World Map the Journey after Death.
- Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce. Hampton Roads Publishing Company, Inc, 1999 ISBN 1-57174-143-7
- McGoven, Una (2007). Chambers Dictionary of the Unexplained. Chambers (published December 19, 2007). p. 68. ISBN 978-0-550-10215-7.
- Podmore, Gurney and Myers (1885). Phantasms of the Living.
- Flower, Michael Attyah. The Seer in Ancient Greece. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2008.
- John Ankerberg, John Weldon (1996). "Dowsing and water dowsing". Encyclopedia of new age beliefs. Harvest House Publishers. pp. 167–192.
- Ernst, Edzard (2001). "A primer of complementary and alternative medicine commonly used by cancer patients". Medical Journal of Australia 174 (2): 88–92. PMID 11245510.
- Village, Andrew. "Dimensions of belief about miraculous healing." Mental Health, Religion & Culture, June 2005; 8(2): 97-107
- "Mediums", Robert Todd Carroll, Skeptic's Dictionary, Retrieved March 23, 2007 "In spiritualism, a medium is one with whom spirits communicate directly."
- Spence, Lewis (2003). Encyclopedia of Occultism & Parapsychology Vol. 2. Kessinger Publishing Co. p. 750. ISBN 978-0-7661-2817-0.