List of pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
The following page lists all pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations that are larger than 1,000 MW in current net generating capacity, which are currently operational or under construction. Those power stations that are smaller than 1,000 MW, and those that are decommissioned or only at a planning/proposal stage may be found in regional lists, listed at the end of the page.
Pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
The table below lists currently operational power stations. Some of these may have additional units under construction, but only current net capacity is listed.
This table lists stations under construction or operational stations with under-construction and current net capacity under 1,000 MW.
|Station||Country||Location||Capacity (MW)||Expected Completion||Ref|
|Dniester Pumped Storage Power Station||Ukraine||2,268||2017|||
|Hohhot Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,224||2013|||
|Hongping Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,200||2015|||
|Ingula Pumped Storage Scheme||South Africa||1,332||2014|
|Jixi Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,800||2018|||
|Kannagawa Hydropower Plant||Japan||2,820||2020|||
|Linth-Limmern Pumped Storage Station||Switzerland||1,000||2015|||
|Liyang Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,500||2016|||
|Qingyuan Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,280||2015|||
|Siah Bishe Pumped Storage Power Plant||Iran||1,040||2013|||
|Tehri Pumped Storage Power Station||India||1,000||2016|
|Upper Cisokan Pumped Storage Power Plant||Indonesia||1,040||2016|||
|Xianyou Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,200||2013|||
- United States Department of Energy International Energy Storage Database
- List of energy storage projects
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- List of largest power stations in the world
- Pumped-storage hydroelectricity
- List of hydroelectric power station failures
- "Overview of energy storage methods" (PDF). MORA Associates. p. 15. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Plants in China - Industcards
- Hydro Pumped Storage Power Plant (PDF), retrieved 2012-12-07
- 我国部分拟建抽水蓄能电站 [List of pumped-storage power plants in China 1] (PDF) (in Mandarin), archived from the original on July 7, 2011
- 我国在建的抽水蓄能电站(截至2009 年底) [Constructed pumped storage power stations (by end of 2009)] (PDF) (in Mandarin), archived from the original on unknown
- Bath County Pumped-storage Station, retrieved 2011-12-30
- Hydroelectric pumped storage technology: international experience By American Society of Civil Engineers. Task Committee on Pumped Storage
- "The Upper Gesso Plant". Active Communications International. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Strategy - Hydropower - EDF Group
- Guangzhou pumped-storage facility
- Large-scale pumped-storage power stations in Japan
- TEPCO 2009 Annual Report
- "Thyssen Schachtbau wins contract for an 820 m raise-bore shaft for the pumped storage power station in Kärnten". Thyssen Schachtbau. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Pumped-storage hydroelectric stations in Japan
- Knight Piésold Consulting (2010). BC Hydro Evaluation of Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Potential (PDF) (Technical report). Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Pumped-storage hydroelectric stations
- "2003-2004 Electricity Review in Japan" (PDF). Japan Nuclear. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Water quality: Asahi Dam, Japan
- "The Pushihe pumped storage power station project layout Introduction" (in Chinese). PSP.org. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Rocky Mountain Hydroelectric Plant
- "Roncovalgrande -Macclesfield" (in Italian). ENEL. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "Sardar Sarovar Power Complex". Narmada Control Authority. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- Kannagawa Hydropower Plant, Japan - Power mag
- Currently being expanded to 1,296 MW
- Vianden Pumped Storage Plant - Unit 11
- Société Électrique de l'Our: Centrale de Vianden
- Renewable Energy World Magazine: Worldwide Pumped Storage Activity
- "Overview" (in Russian). RUSHydro. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- 324 in operation
- Tymoshenko launches the first unit of Dnister Hydroelectric Power Plant, retrieved 2010-09-01
- "DNIESTER HYDRO PUMP STORAGE PLANT COMPLETION PROJECT". World Bank AGM. October 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- 0 in operation, another 1,200 planned for second phase
- World Pumps: Voith delivers pumped storage plants to China and Austria
- HydroWorld: Jixi pumped-storage hydro plant begins operation in China
- 940 in operation
- Power - Kannagawa Hydropower Plant, Japan
- Kannagawa Pumped-storage Station, retrieved 2010-06-25
- "Commencement of Commercial Operation of Unit 1 of Kannagawa Hydropower Plant-- Pumped-Storage Power Plant with World's Largest Capacity". TEPCO. December 22, 2005. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- 800 in operation
- Kazunogawa Hydroelectric Power Plant, Japan - Power Technology
- Pumped storage plants - Status and perspectives
- China's fourth largest pumped storage power station started in Liyang
- "Converting to pumped storage". International Water Power & Dam Construction. December 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Toshiba News Release: Toshiba Wins Major Order for Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Generators for China's CSG Power Generation Company
- "Qingyuan Pumped Storage Power Station Environmental Impact Report abbreviated" (in Chinese). HydroChina Huadong Engineering Corporation. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- some of generators are already operational
- "PLTA Upper Cisokan Pumped Storage will immediately be built". ESDM. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- Xianyou Pumped-storage Power Station: Project overview
- Xianju Pumped-storage Power Station aims documentary