List of recognized higher education accreditation organizations
||The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (July 2011)|
This is a list of recognized higher education related accreditation organizations. The list includes agencies and organizations that play a role in higher education accreditation and which are recognized by the appropriate governmental authorities.
The United States based Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) (a non-governmental organization) maintains an International Directory which "contains contact information about 467 quality assurance bodies, accreditation bodies and Ministries of Education in 175 countries. The quality assurance and accreditation bodies have been authorized to operate by their respective governments either as agencies of the government or as private (nongovernmental) organizations."
Hong Kong 
In Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) conducts accreditation under an ordinance that took effect on 1 October 2007. The former Hong Kong Council for Academic Accreditation was replaced by this new authority. The HKCAAVQ maintains a list of accredited programs and programs accredited by the HKCAAVQ also may be entered into Hong Kong's Qualifications Register.
- Hong Kong Bar Association
- Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications
Universities in India must be created through government action. Institutions "which are not established under either Central or State or UGC Act" are labeled "fake universities/vishwavidyalayas" and lack authority to grant degrees.
Recognition or accreditation of courses of study is under the authority of a set of professional councils established by statute and other autonomous coordinative or regulatory bodies established or recognized by the University Grants Commission:
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to be superseded by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) for technical and management colleges
- Quality Council of India (QCI)
- Distance Education Council (DEC)
- National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE)
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Bar Council of India (BCI)
- National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE)
- Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)
- Medical Council of India (MCI)
- Pharmacy Council Of India (PCI)
- Indian Nursing Council (INC)
- National Council for Indian Education (NCIE)
- Dental Council of India (DCI)
- Central Council of Homoeopathy (CCH)
- Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM)
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
- Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
In 2003, Canada began helping Pakistan develop an accreditation system. As stated in "Ordinance No. LIII of 2002, Para 10, Clause e", the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan may set up national or regional evaluation councils or authorize any existing council or similar body to carry out accreditation of institutions including their departments, facilities and disciplines by giving them appropriate ratings.
- Established under Quality Assurance Agency of HEC
- HEC independent professional bodies
- Pakistan Bar Council (PBC)
- Pakistan Council for Architects and Town Planners (PCATP)
- Pharmacy Council of Pakistan (PCP)
- Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC)
- Pakistan Nursing Council (PNC)
- Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council (PVMC)
- National Council for Homeopathy (NCH)
United Kingdom 
|This article is outdated. (April 2013)|
Under the Education Reform Act 1988 it is illegal to offer a degree or qualification that implies it is a degree, without permission from the Secretary of State, a Royal Charter or an Act of Parliament. Some qualifications relating to particular professions are regulated by the government, but most non-degree qualifications are unregulated.
It is important to distinguish between the accreditation status of an institution, and the accreditation status of the qualifications it offers. These two aspects will often be dealt with by completely different organisations, and an institution that has one does not necessarily have the other. The Department for Education maintains a list of all bodies that have their own degree awarding powers ('recognised bodies'), all bodies that currently teach a course which leads to the award of a degree from a recognised body ('listed bodies'), and 'recognised awards' which are awarded by bodies who have very specific degree awarding powers. Prospective students should also consult the National Database of Accredited Qualifications, maintained by all three UK accreditation bodies. All bodies who award UK degrees are subject to a regular external quality assurance reviews by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). Non-accredited qualifications given by professional bodies (e.g. those of the Institute of Directors) can be prestigious, and should not be automatically discounted.
Organisations involved in the accreditation of further and higher education institutions and/or qualifications in the UK are:
- The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) in England
- The Department for Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills (DELLS) in Wales
- The City and Guilds of London Institute
- The Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) for Northern Ireland.
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) across the UK
- The British Accreditation Council for independent HE and FE institutions across the UK
- The British Council for English language schools only
- The Accreditation Service for International Colleges (ASIC) for independent colleges in UK and colleges and universities worldwide
- The Engineering Council UK for degrees in engineering and technology in order to be registered as professional engineer (Chartered Engineer-CEng- or Incorporated Engineer-IEng)
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology
- The Open and Distance Learning Quality Council (ODLQC)
- The Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) for publicly funded institutions
United States 
Regional accreditors 
There are six regional accreditors involved in higher education accreditation in the United States.
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE) Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
- (NEASC-CTCI) Commission on Technical and Career Institutions
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) (HLC Higher Learning Commission)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC-ACCJC) Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
- (WASC-ACSCU) Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
Additionally, the Board of Regents of the State of New York is recognized as an accreditor for degree-granting institutions of higher education in the state that designate the agency as their sole or primary accrediting agency. New York is the only state that is eligible to be federally recognized as an accreditor under a grandfather clause in federal law that allows recognition for state agencies if they were recognized as accreditors before October 1, 1991.
National accreditors 
The national accreditors get their name from their common (but not universal) practice of accrediting schools nationwide or even worldwide.
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
- Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
- Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET)
- Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS)
- Distance Education and Training Council (DETC)
Programmatic accreditation 
These accreditors typically cover a specific program of professional education or training, but in some cases they cover the whole institution.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly American Dietetic Association Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE-ADA))
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM)
- Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA)
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC)
- American Academy for Liberal Education (AALE)
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT/COAMFTE) Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) Council for Accreditation (CFA)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (CoA-NA)
- American Bar Association (ABA) Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar
- American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE) Committee on Accreditation
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) Division of Accreditation
- American Council for Construction Education (ACCE) Board of Trustees
- American Culinary Federation (ACF) Accrediting Commission
- American Dental Association (ADA) Commission on Dental Accreditation
- American Institute of Certified Planners/Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning Planning Accreditation Board (PAB)
- American Library Association (ALA) Committee on Accreditation (CoA)
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)
- American Optometric Association (AOA) Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE)
- American Osteopathic Association Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE)
- American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Committee on Accreditation (CoA)
- American Society for Microbiology American College of Microbiology
- American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board (LAAB)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Division of Education and Research
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE)
- Association for Computing Machinery Accreditation Committee
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME)
- Council on Accreditation for Recreation, Park Resources and Leisure Services, sponsored by National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Commission on English Language Program Accreditation
- Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation
- Commission on Opticianry Accreditation
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- Council on Aviation Accreditation (CAA)
- Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE) Commission on Accreditation
- Council on Education for Public Health
- Council on Naturopathic Medical Education
- Council on Occupational Education
- Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) Commission on Standards and Accreditation
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Office of Social Work Accreditation and Educational Excellence
- International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE)
- Joint Review Committee on Education Programs in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT)
- Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology (JRCNMT)
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education
- Midwifery Education Accreditation Council
- Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
- National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences (NACCAS)
- National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- National Association of Industrial Technology (NAIT)
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health Council on Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) Commission on Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD) Commission on Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) Commission on Accreditation and Commission on Community/Junior College Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA) Commission on Peer Review and Accreditation (COPRA)
- National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) Commission on Accreditation
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Environmental Health Science and Protection Accreditation Council(EHAC)
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
- Planning Accreditation Board
- Psychological Clinical Science Accreditation System (PCSAS)
- Society of American Foresters (SAF)
- State Bar of California Committee of Bar Examiners
- Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC)
National faith-based accreditors 
There are four recognized nationwide faith-based accrediting bodies in the United States.
- Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools (AARTS)
- Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS) Commission on Accrediting
- Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) Commission on Accreditation
- Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) Accreditation Commission
See also 
- International Association of Universities
- List of unrecognized higher education accreditation organizations
- Central and East European Management Development Association
- "CHEA International Directory introduction". Chea.org. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications". Hkcaa.edu.hk. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "List of Programmes Accredited by the HKCAAVQ". Hkcaavq.edu.hk. 2007-12-12. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- Press Release Precautions against "Fake Universities/Vishwavidyalayas" (F.No-7-3/97(MPC)), University Grants Commission, December 2011
- "Higher Education in India". Government of India Ministry of Human Resource Development Department of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "AICTE to revamp its approval system next week". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "See the Education Reform Act 1988, sections 214 to 217". Opsi.gov.uk. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- See this page on the DfES website for a list
- See http://www.dfes.gov.uk/recognisedukdegrees/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.view&CategoryID=1 for all three lists.
- "Accredited Qualifications". Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "Recognized Accrediting Organizations". Council for Higher Education Accreditation. August 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Accreditation in the United States, US Department of Education
- Alan L. Contreras, Why States Shouldn’t Accredit, Inside Higher Ed, Aug. 30, 2005
- "State Bar of California, CBE, "Title 4. Admissions and Educational Standards, Division 2. Accredited Law School Rules"". Retrieved 2011-05-24.