List of rectors of the University of Oslo
The rector of the University of Oslo is the university's highest officer, elected among the faculty by all the members of the university community. Until 1989, only professors could be elected rector.
The office of rector was instituted by law in 1905, and made effective in 1907. From 1845 to 1907, the Collegium academicum, the highest body of the university, elected a chairman among its members to serve for one year. From 1814 to 1845, the university had a Chancellor, which was only a ceremonial office held by the Lord Lieutenant (stattholder), and a Pro-Chancellor, who was the deputy of the Chancellor and ex officio chairman of the Collegium academicum.
|1814–1816||Count Hans Henric von Essen|
|1816–1818||Count Carl Mörner|
|1818–1824||Count Johan August Sandels|
|1818–1824||Crown Prince Oscar|
|1814–1822||Bishop Frederik Julius Bech|
|1823–1828||Professor Niels Treschow|
|1828–1840||Count Herman Wedel-Jarlsberg|
|1840–1845||Bishop Christian Sørenssen|
Chairmen of the Collegium academicum, 1845–1907
|Term||Chairman of the Collegium academicum||Field of study|
|Term||Rector||Field of study|
|1907–1911||Waldemar Christofer Brøgger||Mineralogy and geology|
|1912–1918||Bredo Henrik von Munthe af Morgenstierne||Jurisprudence, economics, and statistics|
|1919–1921||Fridtjof Nansen1||Zoology and oceanography|
|1937–1941||Didrik Arup Seip||North Germanic languages|
|1946–1951||Otto Lous Mohr||Medicine|
|1958–1963||Johan Tidemann Ruud||Marine biology|
|1964–1969||Hans Vogt||Romance languages|
|1977–1984||Bjarne A. Waaler||Medicine|
|1999–2001||Kaare R. Norum||Nutritional science|
|2002–2005||Arild Underdal||Political science|
|2009–Present||Ole Petter Ottersen||Medicine|
- 1: Fridtjof Nansen was elected rector of the university for the term 1919–1921, but never assumed office.
- 2: Following the arrest of Didrik Arup Seip during the occupation of Norway by Nazi Germany, the occupying powers appointed the polar researcher Adolf Hoel as rector of the university.
- 1941–1943 Professor Adolf Hoel (mat-nat)1
- 1957 Professor Harald Ulrik Sverdrup (mat-nat)
- 1957–1960 Professor Alf Sommerfelt (hf)
- 1961–1963 Professor Johs. Andenæs (jus)
- 1964–1966 Professor Axel Strøm (medisin)
- 1967–1969 Professor Alf Brodal (medisin)
- 1970–1972 Professor Otto Bastiansen (mat-nat)
- 1973–1976 Professor Knut Kolsrud (hf)
- 1977–1980 Professor Jacob Jervell (teologi)
- 1981–1984 Professor Knut Erik Tranøy (hf)
- 1985–1988 Professor Bjørn Pedersen (mat-nat)
- 1989–1992 Professor Jens Erik Fenstad (mat-nat)
- 1993–1995 Professor Arild Underdal (sv)
- 1996–1998 Professor Knut Fægri (mat-nat)
- 1999–2001 Professor Rolv Mikkel Blakar (sv)
- 2002–2005 Professor Anne-Brit Kolstø (mat-nat)
- 2006–2009 Professor Haakon Breien Benestad (medisin)
- 2009–2013 Associate Professor Inga Bostad (hf)
- 2013–2017 Professor Ruth Vatvedt Fjeld (hf)2
- 1: Following the arrest of Didrik Arup Seip during the occupation of Norway by Nazi Germany, the occupying powers appointed the polar researcher Adolf Hoel as prorector, and later rector of the university.
- 2: Ruth Vatvedt Fjeld resigned from her position in 2014.