List of rock formations that resemble human beings
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Pedra da Gavea, Rio de Janeiro
- Badlands Guardian, a valley in Alberta that resembles a human profile when viewed from the air.
- Shawinigan, Québec has a rock that resembles an old lady, giving the name to the former city of Grand-Mère, now a part of the City of Shawinigan since 2002. It resembles an old woman with a bun at the base of her head ("grand-mère" is French for grandmother). The rock formation was pulled from the bottom of the Saint-Maurice River in the 19th century before the construction of a dam and is now in a small park overlooking the river.
- Sleeping Giant (Ontario), a section of the Sibley Peninsula near Thunder Bay, Ontario, which resembles a man lying on his back.
- Giants Tomb Island (Ontario), part of Awenda Provincial Park near Penetanguishene, ON. The island resembles the outline of a sleeping person. Similar to the Sleeping Giant.
- La Dame de Mali is a feature of Mount Loura, near the town of Mali, in northern Guinea, near the border with Senegal that resembles the profile of a woman.
- Inishtooskert, County Kerry, locally known as An Fear Marbh (the dead man) is an island which resembles a man lying on his back.
- Iztaccihuatl, a mountain whose shape resembles the silhouette of a reclining (sleeping) woman
- Mount Makiling, Legends surround the mountain, many of which relate to Maria Makiling, said to be the 'guardian fairy' of the mountain. The contour of the mountain is said to be that of her in a reclining position
- Giewont, a mountain whose shape resembles a lying human, associated with a legend of the sleeping knight
The legend of its origin - a pagan deity ("Maiden") was turned into stone - is associated to another local legend, that of the Goldhorn.
- The "Weeping Rock" on Mount Sipylus near Manisa has been associated with Niobe, a figure in Greek mythology, since ancient times.
- Cavehill in Belfast is said to look like French Emperor Napoleon
- The German Soldier at the Slochd Summit
- The Mourne Mountains in Northern Ireland when viewed from a northerly direction resemble a man lying down, with Slieve Binnian forming the man's facial features. Local legend says that the mountains formed when the Irish Giant Fionn mac Cumhaill (anglicised as Finn McCool) lay down to sleep.
- Old Man of Hoy in Orkney is a rock pillar that resembles a standing man
- Old Man of Stoer in Sutherland
- Queen Victoria's Rock on the Isle of Barra is a rock formation near Northbay on the north side of the A888, looking toward the west, which resembles the profile of the elderly Queen Victoria.
- The Sleeping Warrior is the profile of the peaks of the island of Arran
- Grandfather Mountain State Park, series of mountains in North Carolina that resemble a reclining man.
- Mansface Hill, Wyoming
- Mother Ann, a rock formation in Massachusetts that resembles the silhouette of a reclining woman
- Mummy Mountain
- Old Man of the Mountain, a rock formation in New Hampshire that collapsed in 2003
- Sleeping Giant (Connecticut), several mountains in Connecticut that resemble a reclining man
- Sleeping Giant (Kauai), a mountain ridge in Hawaii that resembles a reclining man
- Sleeping Giant, a mountain and ridge in Montana that resembles a reclining man
- Ute Mountain, a series of mountains in Colorado that resemble a reclining man
- Mount Mansfield, a mountain in Vermont that resembles the silhouette of the face of a reclining man.
- Rooster Rock, a rock formation in western Oregon which resembles a phallus
- Grand Tetons mountain range, Early French Voyageurs used the name "les Trois Tétons" (the three breasts).
- Indian Head, Lincoln, New Hampshire
- Mount Timpanogas, Provo, Utah
- Cydonia Mensae, a rock formation on Mars said to look like a human face
- Libya Montes, a region of Mars that contains another rock formation that also resembles a human face
- Ajdovska deklica
- Collins Encyclopaedia of Scotland, HarperCollins, 2000, p. 44, ISBN 9780007103539
- Four years after Old Man's fall, another N.H. rocky profile gets attention