List of schools in the Bay of Plenty Region
The Bay of Plenty Region is a region in the North Island of New Zealand. It contains numerous small rural primary schools, some small-town primary and secondary schools, and city schools in Tauranga and Rotorua.
Schools in the Rotorua District that are located in the Waikato Region are listed here. Schools in the Taupo District that are located in the Bay of Plenty region are listed at list of schools in the Waikato Region.
In New Zealand schools, students begin formal education in Year 1 at the age of five. Year 13 is the final year of secondary education. Years 14 and 15 refer to adult education facilities. State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they like state schools cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students.
The socioeconomic decile indicates the socioeconomic status of the school's catchment area. A decile of 1 indicates the school draws from a poor area; a decile of 10 indicates the school draws from a well-off area. The decile ratings used here come from the Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi website and from the decile change spreadsheet listed in the references. The deciles were last revised using information from the 2006 Census. The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education are based on figures from July 2014. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Te Kete Ipurangi page for each school.
Western Bay of Plenty District
- Papamoa College opened in 2011 with Years 7 to 9 only and is opening subsequent years as the 2011 Year 9 cohort moves through. As of 2013, Years 7 to 11 are open, with Year 12 opening in 2014 and Year 13 opening in 2015.
|Kawerau Putauaki School||1–8||Coed||Kawerau||State||1||190||||655|
|Kawerau South School||1–6||Coed||Kawerau||State||1||312||||1770|
|Kawerau Teen Parent Unit||–||–||Kawerau||State||1||||–||2758|
|Tarawera High School||7–13||Coed||Kawerau||State||1||469||–||661|
|Te Whata Tau o Putauaki||1–8||Coed||Kawerau||State||1||97||–||651|
|St Joseph's Catholic School||1–8||Coed||Opotiki||State integrated||2||204||||1950|
|Te Kura Mana Maori Maraenui||1–8||Coed||Opotiki||State||1||47||||1806|
|Te Kura Mana Maori o Whangaparaoa||1–8||Coed||Cape Runaway||State||1||49||-||2084|
|Te Kura o Omaio||1–8||Coed||Omaio||State||2||22||||1859|
|Te Kura o Torere||1–8||Coed||Torere||State||1||28||||1645|
|Te Whanau-A-Apanui Area School||1–13||Coed||Opotiki||State||1||91||-||147|
|TKKM o Waioweka||1–8||Coed||Opotiki||State||1||73||-||2061|
|Waiotahe Valley School||1–8||Coed||Opotiki||State||3||100||-||2063|
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Retrieved 2006-06-23.[dead link]
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Retrieved 2008-06-08.[dead link]
- "How The Decile Is Calculated". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Reviews of Deciles - General Information". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 30 July 2014". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Teen Parent Unit rolls are returned with their host school. These are Otumoetai College for Te Whakatipuranga, Rotorua Girls' High School for Rotorua School for Young Parents, and Tarawera High School for Te Tari Ako Matua Taiohi Teen Parent Education Centre
- Kawerau Putauaki School is in the process of dropping Years 7 and 8 to become a Y1–6 school from 2014. There is no Year 7 at the school in 2013.