List of schools in Chicago Public Schools
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009)|
- 1 Schools
- 1.1 High schools
- 1.2 K-8 schools
- 1.2.1 Zoned K-8
- 22.214.171.124 Zoned K-8 A
- 126.96.36.199 Zoned K-8 B
- 188.8.131.52 Zoned K-8 C
- 184.108.40.206 Zoned K-8 D
- 220.127.116.11 Zoned K-8 E
- 18.104.22.168 Zoned K-8 G
- 22.214.171.124 Zoned K-8 H
- 126.96.36.199 Zoned K-8 J
- 188.8.131.52 Zoned K-8 L
- 184.108.40.206 Zoned K-8 M
- 220.127.116.11 Zoned K-8 N
- 18.104.22.168 Zoned K-8 O
- 22.214.171.124 Zoned K-8 P
- 126.96.36.199 Zoned K-8 R
- 188.8.131.52 Zoned K-8 S
- 1.2.2 Non-zoned K-8
- 1.2.1 Zoned K-8
- 2 Elementary schools by type
- 3 Selective enrollment secondary schools
- 4 Military Academies
- 5 Special schools
- 6 Defunct schools
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- Amundsen School Website
- Austin School Website
- Bogan School Website
- Bowen School Website
- Bronzeville Scholastic Institute School Website
- Calumet (became a charter school in 2007) School Website
- Chicago Vocational High School School Website
- Clark School Website
- Clemente School Website
- Collins Academy School Website
- Corliss School Website
- Crane School Website
- Curie School Website
- Dunbar School Website
- DuSable School Website
- Dyett School Website
- Englewood School Website
- Farragut Career Academy School Website
- Fenger Academy High School School Website
- Foreman School Website
- Gage Park School Website
- Hancock School Website
- Harlan School Website
- Harper School Website
- Hirsch School Website
- Hope School Website
- Hubbard School Website
- Hyde Park Academy High School School Website
- Juarez School Website
- Julian School Website
- Kelly School Website
- Kelvyn Park School Website
- Kennedy School Website
- Kenwood School Website
- Lake View School Website
- Lincoln Park School Website
- Manley School Website
- Marshall School Website
- Mather School Website
- Morgan Park School Website
- North Grand School Website
- Orr School Website
- Phillips Academy Landmark Website
- Prosser School Website
- Richards School Website
- Paul Robeson School Website
- Roosevelt School Website
- Schurz School Website
- Senn School Website
- South Shore (School of Leadership)
- Southside Occupational
- Steinmetz School Website
- Sullivan School Website
- Taft School Website
- Tilden School Website
- Uplift School Website
- Vaughn Occupational School Website
- Von Steuben School Website
- Washington School Website
- Wells Community Academy School Website
- Westinghouse School Website
Option high schools
- Academy of Communications and Technology (ACT) Charter School School Website (7th grade - 12th grade)
- Best Practice School Website
- Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy School Website
- Carver Military Academy School Website
- Chicago Agriculture School Website
- Chicago High School for the Arts School Website
- Chicago Discovery School Website
- CICS - Longwood School Website
- CICS - Northtown Academy School Website
- Chicago Military Academy School Website
- Chicago Vocational School Website
- DeVry Advantage Academy Grades 11-12, with college credit. School Information Website
- Graham School Website
- Jones School Website
- King College Prep High School School Website
- Lane School Website
- Las Casas
- Lindblom School Website
- Mose Vines Preparatory
- Noble Street Charter High School School Website
- Northside College Prep School Website
- Northside Learning Center
- Payton School Website
- Perspectives Charter School Website
- Phoenix Military Academy School Website
- Al Raby School for Community and Environment School Website
- Hyman G Rickover Naval Academy school website
- Simeon School Website
- Simpson Academy School Website
- TEAM Englewood Community Academy School Website
- West Town Academy 
- York Alternative
- Whitney Young School Website
- Youth Connection Charter School
Zoned K-8 A
- Abbott School Website
- Jane Addams School Website
- Agassiz School Website
- Louisa May Alcott School Website
Zoned K-8 B
- Beaubien School Website
- Beidler www.beidlerschool.org
- Myra Bradwell School Website
- Brentano School Website
- Clara Barton School Website
Zoned K-8 C
- Daniel R. Cameron
- Carroll/Rosenwald Specialty School School Website
- George F. Cassell Elementary School
Zoned K-8 D
Zoned K-8 E
Zoned K-8 G
Zoned K-8 H
Zoned K-8 J
James Monroe High School
Zoned K-8 L
Zoned K-8 M
Zoned K-8 N
Zoned K-8 O
- William B. Ogden School Website
Zoned K-8 P
Zoned K-8 R
Zoned K-8 S
- Robert Healy School Website
- South Loop School Website
- Mark T. Skinner School Website
- Washington D. Smyser Elementary School School Website
- Mark Sheridan Academy School Website
- Alain Locke Charter Academy 
- Edison Regional Gifted Center
- Lionel Hampton Fine & Performing Arts School
- Walt Disney Magnet School 
Elementary schools by type
- Lenart Regional Gifted Center
- South Loop.
Selective enrollment secondary schools
- Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy
- Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences
- Jones College Prep High School
- King College Prep High School
- Lane Technical College Prep High School
- Robert Lindblom Math & Science Academy
- Northside College Preparatory High School
- Walter Payton College Prep
- South Shore International College Prep
- Westinghouse High School
- Whitney Young Magnet High School
- Chicago Military Academy at Bronzeville (Army)
- Carver Military Academy (Army)
- Marine Math & Science Academy (Marine Corps)
- Phoenix Military Academy (Army)
- Rickover Naval Academy (Navy)
- Air Force Academy High School (Air Force)
There are five classical schools:
- Edgar Allan Poe
- Skinner North
- Skinner West
- Albany Park Multicultural Academy School Website
- Ames Middle School School Website
- Thurgood Marshall Middle School School Location
- De La Cruz Academy School Website
- William G. Hibbard Elementary School School Website
- Sharon Christa McAuliffe Elementary School School Website
- Whittier Elementary School School Website
- James E. McDade Classical School 
- Beulah Shoesmith Elementary School School Website
- Falconer Elementary School School Website
- Edgar Allan Poe Classical School 
- Moses Montefiore Academy (7-9)
Former High Schools
- Academy of Communications and Technology- Closed in 2010, the school building at 4319 W. Washington Blvd, built in 1906 as St. Mel Catholic grade school, is now home to Chicago Talent Development High School.
- Calumet High School - Closed in 2006 to make way for the Perspectives Charter School, which currently occupies the building.
- Central High School - Closed in 1882 due to declining enrollment. The fate of the building is unknown.
- Collins High School - The building at 1313 South Sacramento Drive (inside Douglas Park) now houses both the Collins Academy High School and the North Lawndale College Prep Charter School.
- Cooley Vocational High School - (Subject of the film Cooley High) The school, located on the 800 block of West Scott Street, closed in 1979 when it was replaced by a newer high school nearby and was eventually razed. The area around the former school was zoned to nearby Lincoln Park High School.
- Cregier Vocational High School - Closed at the end of the 1994-1995 school year. Cregier is now home to three smaller schools for special-needs children.
- Englewood High School - Closed in 2008 due to poor performance; now houses TEAM Englewood Community Academy High School and Urban Prep Charter Academy.
- English High School - Renamed to Crane High School in 1905.
- Forrestville High School - Renamed to King College Prep High School in 1971.
- Harrison Technical High School - Closed in 1983; now houses the Maria Saucedo Magnet Elementary School.
- Harvard High School - Closed in 1962 due to declining enrollment; last used by St. George's School before the building was converted into condominiums and a family home.
- Hibbard High School - Closed in 1927 when the nearby Roosevelt High School was completed and students were sent there; remains in operation as an elementary school.
- Jefferson High School - Closed in 1910 when the nearby Schurz High School was completed and students were sent there. The school was eventually razed and the Irish American Heritage Center was built on the site.
- Kinzie High School - Renamed to Kennedy High School in 1965.
- Lake High School - Renamed to Tilden Technical High School (Now the Tilden Career Community Academy) in 1915.
- Lewis Institute High School - Closed in 1917; merged with Armour Institute of Technology in 1940 to form the present-day Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Loretto High School (Englewood) - Closed in 1962 due to declining enrollment, the fate of the building is unknown.
- Manual High School - Renamed to University High School in 1904.
- Medill High School
- Metropolitan High School - Closed during the 1990s. The school's status, located on 160 block of West Wendell, is unknown.
- Near North Career Metro High School - Closed in 2001; the building still stands today but its use is unknown.
- North Park University High School - Closed in 1969 due to declining enrollment and rising costs; now serves as an administration building for an adjacent college.
- North Division/Waller High School - Renamed to Waller High School in 1899, and again to Lincoln Park High School in 1979.
- Northwest Division/Tuley High School - Renamed to Tuley High School in 1906; closed in 1973 to make way for the new Roberto Clemente Community Academy.
- Parker High School - Opened in 1901; closed in 1977 and reopened as Paul Robeson High School (Illinois).
- Cecil Partee Academic Preparatory Center - Occupied the old Hookway Elementary School.
- Pullman Technical High School - Closed in 1950 due to budget constraints; continued to operate as a private school until 1997 when it was converted to the Brooks College Preparatory Academy.
- South Division High School - Closed in 1905 and reopened as Phillips High School.
- Spaulding K through 12 school at 1628 W. Washington - Closed in 2004. Building reopened as Hope Institute Learning Academy, a private school with a CPS contract emphasizing services for special needs children.
- Tuley/Northwest Division High School - Closed in 1974 to make way for the new Roberto Clemente Community Academy.
- Waller/North Division High School - Renamed to Lincoln Park High School in 1979.
- Washburne Trade School - Closed in 1993; reopened in 1994 as part of the City Colleges of Chicago before closing again in 1996. The culinary trade program continues as Washburne Culinary Institute of Kennedy-King College. Washburne school building at 3233 W. 31st St., built in 1910 as the Liquid Carbonic Co. factory and housing the school from 1958 until closing, was considered for landmark status as a Prairie School industrial building but suffered a fire in Feb. 2007 and was demolished by 2009. Converted to a vocational training school in 1919, Washburne was home to Chicago trade union apprentice programs, students earned a high school diploma at the same time.
- Westcott Vocational High School - Renamed to Simeon Vocational High School in 1964.
- (West Division) McKinley High School - Closed during the 1960s. The fate of the school is unknown.
- Westinghouse Career Academy High School (#1) - Closed in 2009 to make way for a new Westinghouse High School on the 3300 block of West Franklin Blvd. The old school is scheduled for demolition.
Former elementary schools
- Amelia Dunne Hookway School - Closed in 1981 due to underenrollment. A transitional high school for ninth graders, Cecil Partee Academic Preparatory Center was later housed in that same building. Partee was later relocated to Chicago Vocational Career Academy. In 1988, Lenart Regional Gifted Center opened a selective admissions elementary school in that site.
- Richard Wright Elementary School - Opened 1971 and closed 2004 due to fire.
- Spry Elementary School - The building was converted into the Spry Community School.
- Katherine Lee Bates - Opened in 1960 and closed in 1979. In 1981 Tabernacle Christian Academy moved into that same building at, 1203 W. 109th Place Chicago IL and is currently in operation.
- Jefferson Elementary School
- R.S. Abbott Elementary School Located on 3630 S Wells was opened in 1881 and closed in 2008. It now houses Air Force academy which is a military school across the street From Wentworth Gardens a Cha Public Housing Project
- Gordon, Danielle (Sep 1994). "Washburne Update: Restraint of Trades". The Chicago Reporter. Retrieved Sep 26, 2009.
- "The Last Days of Washburne". Forgotten Chicago. Jan 8, 2009. Retrieved Sep 26, 2009.
- "Chicagoland Watch List Property Suffers Damaging Fire". Landmarks Illinois. 2007. Retrieved Sep 27, 2009.
- Lynch, La Risa (Sep 1994). "Washburne's Checkered Past". The Chicago Reporter. Retrieved Sep 30, 2009.
- Worthen, Helena (2002). "Joint Labor–Management Apprenticeship Programs: The Issue of Access to Multi-Employer Training Programs in Chicago’s Construction Industry". Industrial Relations Research Association: Proceedings of the 54th Annual Meeting. Retrieved Sep 30, 2009.
- Foley, Marybeth (Dec 2004). "Richard Wright Elementary dies by fire". Substance: the newspaper of public education in Chicago. Retrieved Sep 26, 2009.