List of screenwriting software
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (September 2013)|
Screenwriting software helps the user to format and present a screenplay properly. Apart from these specialized screenplay software applications, there are many add-ons or templates for popular word processors like Microsoft Word. These software packages adhere to various formatting and presentation conventions which are considered standard in Hollywood. Some are commercial products which must be purchased, others are shareware or even freeware. Others are web applications and can be used inside a web browser.
List of software
- A free screenplay template for Apple Pages that conforms to the formatting standards specified by Cole and Haag. For more information, follow external link below.
- Blockbuster by John Truby - Screenwriting software for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
- BPC-Screenplay - Screenwriting software for Microsoft Windows.
- Celtx - Free to register, but requires paid subscription for the full collaborative version Mac OS X, Android, Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux. Very useful free versions are available on-line or as a desktop download.. Includes a mode for comic book script-writing. As of this time Celtx is no longer actively developing the desktop application. 
- DramaQueen - Screenwriting software for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux. Available as free, plus and professional version.
- DubScript - Free mobile screenwriting reader/writer for the Android (operating system). DubScript uses the Fountain (markup_language) for writing and displays Fountain (v1.1), Final Draft, Celtx, and Trelby files. Imports Final Draft files and exports to Final Draft and HTML. Ad supported w/ads removed by in-app purchase.
- Fade In Professional Screenwriting Software - Professional screenwriting software for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux, with mobile versions for iPhone, iPad and Android.
- Final Draft - Professional screenwriting software for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
- FiveSprockets - A discontinued free, online, collaborative story-development and scriptwriting web-software.
- Highland - A plain text screenwriting app for the Mac created by screenwriter John August.
- Logline - A screenwriting and outlining app for the Mac that uses the plain-text Fountain markup language.
- Montage software - Popular screenwriting software for Mac only.
- Movie Draft - no longer in support - non-linear screenwriting and play-writing software. Available for Mac and Windows.
- Movie Magic Screenwriter - Integrated professional screenwriting software. Available on Mac and Microsoft Windows.
- Movie Master - Professional screenwriting software for Windows only. (discontinued)
- Movie Outline - Professional script writing and story development software for Mac and Windows.
- Page 2 stage - Free open-source software, designed specifically for Windows. Available in a variety of languages.
- Pago - Powerful, open source screenwriting plugin for the Vim text editor.
- Plot Builder - Visually organize and write your screenplay in industry standard format. (For Windows)
- Plot Control - Start from any point in the creative process and create a fully developed outline of your screen story using Reelwriting.com's 8 Core Elements of Successful Movies.
- Plotbot - Free, browser-based screenwriting software with an eye for collaboration.
- Practical Scriptwriter - Professional script writing software for Windows. Formats cover Film, Stage, Radio and TV.
- Scenarius - Free software for professional film writers. During the creation process. Currently only in Polish-language version.
- Scripped - Professional browser-based screenwriting text editing software (Trial available).
- Script It! - Screenwriting software for writing and outlining movie screenplays, stageplays and novels.
- Scripts Pro - Popular Apple app for iPhone or iPad scripts-writing and editing of various scripts formats (.TXT, .FDX, .CELTX).
- Scriptwriters' Toolkit - A low-cost set of 14 macro-driven professionally written templates for MS Word on Windows, covering many UK (BBC) and US script formats.
- Scrivener (software) - A powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents for Mac OS X and now on Beta for Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux.
- Slugline - A minimal distraction-free screenwriting app for Mac OS X, which uses the plain-text Fountain format.
- Sophocles - commercial story-development, scriptwriting and scheduling package (discontinued)
- Storyline Creator - Software for Mac OS and Microsoft Windows for drawing storylines based on characters and events. Allows quick drafting for ideas. Also has a free version.
- Story Touch - Professional screenwriting software for Mac OS and Microsoft Windows. Story Touch is a complete software for dramatic development, allowing you to write and analyze your script at the same time. It has a free version.
- Rough Draft - A discontinued but useful free software with the standard formatting for writing scripts.
- screenplay - A macro for writing screenplays using LaTeX or TeX, a free and open-source typesetting program. Available on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and other platforms.
- Trelby - A free and open source screenwriting program currently available for Linux and Microsoft Windows, with a Mac OS X port on the way.
- Writer Duet - A free real-time collaborative screenwriting program that lets any number of writers (privately) work on a script, immediately seeing all edits. Converts from/to other common screenplay formats.
- WordStar - DOS based script writing program. (discontinued)
- www.afterwriting.com - Free, online screenwriting tool for screenplays written in Fountain markup language.
- www.ReadThrough.com - Website that instantly performs scripts for free, so they can be listened to from anywhere. Users can share scripts, get notes, add music/sound effects and images, and convert between various screenwriting formats.