List of self-publishing companies
Self-publishing and vanity publishing are not necessarily the same business model. A self-published author employs a printer (publishing) to operate a press, but retains ownership of copyrights, ISBN's, the finished books and their distribution. A vanity press or subsidy publisher retains some of the rights,[self-published source] usually including ownership of the print run and control over distribution, while the author bears much or all of the financial risk.[self-published source]
Both models share a common characteristic of shifting risk and primary editorial control to the author; both encounter the same issues of lax editorial control. This differs from the conventional model (royalty publishing) in which a publisher pays an author an advance to create content, then assumes full control of the project and any commercial risk if a tome sells poorly. Also excluded is sponsored publishing, where a company pays an author to write a book on its behalf (for instance, a food manufacturer marketing a cookbook written by outsiders or a hobby materials supplier publishing a book of blueprints).
This list includes only some publishers; it is not a complete list of all existing self publishers or vanity publishers.
- American Biographical Institute
- AuthorHouse
- Books LLC
- Blurb, Inc.
- Bob Books
- Famous Poets Society
- iUniverse
- Kobo Writing Life
- Lightning Source
- Lulu
- Notion Press 
- Outskirts Press
- Poetry.com (also known as the International Library of Poetry)
- PublishAmerica
- Quills Ink 
- Smashwords
- Tate Publishing & Enterprises
- Trafford Publishing
- Vantage Press
- Xlibris
- Xulon Press
- Wattpad
- Mark Levine. The Fine Print of Self-Publishing. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- April Hamilton. The Indie Author Guide: Self-Publishing Strategies Anyone Can Use. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Irina Webster, William Webster. How to Become a Successful Author:: 34 Steps to Self-Publishing. Australian Self-publishing Group. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Dan Poynter, Danny O. Snow. U-Publish.com 4.0: A 'Living Book' to Help You Compete With the Giants. Unlimited Publishing LLC, Dan Poynter, Danny O. Snow. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Marilyn M. Moore (2012-06-17). The Self-Published Cook: How to Write, Publish, and Sell Your Own Cookbook. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Self-Published Titles Topped 764,000 in 2009 as Traditional Output Dipped". Publishersweekly.com. 2010-04-14. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Sterlicchi, John (2008-02-20). "Self-publish boom challenging old order". The Guardian (London).
- "The 101 most useful websites". London: Telegraph. 2009-11-12.
- Rosen, Mike (2009-03-02). "MediaShift . 5 Great Services for Self-Publishing Your Book". PBS. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Biswas, Venkata Sausmita (2012-02-12). "Publishing for dummies". The New Indian Express (Chennai).
- Torpey, Jodi (2007-07-15). "Outskirts Press brings unpublished writers into the mainstream".
- "New breed of writers take to digital self-publishing". Hindustan Times. 2014-07-20. Retrieved 2014-07-24.