List of shipwrecks in 1977
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The list of shipwrecks in 1977 includes all ships sunk, foundered, grounded, or otherwise lost during 1977.
- 1 January
- 2 February
- 3 March
- 4 May
- 5 June
- 6 September
- 7 October
- 8 November
- 9 December
- 10 Unknown date
- 11 References
- Ivan Sechenov ( Soviet Union): The cargo ship collided in foggy weather with Praktikolas Maris ( Liberia) in the Sea of Marmara, Turkey and sank with the loss of twenty-two crew.
- Turnu Severin ( Romania): The cargo ship collided in fog with Admiral Zmejavic ( Yugoslavia) and sank in the Dardanelles with the loss of fifteen crew.
- Enfant du Bretagne ( France): The St Malo trawler was lost on Pednathise, within the Western Rocks, Isles of Scilly. The lifeboat came within hearing distance of the crew, but all drowned in the heavy seas before they could be brought aboard.
- Atlantic Duke ( West Germany): Ran aground 20 nautical miles (37 km) off Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom. All seven crew rescued.
- Hongkong Surety ( Republic of China): Ran aground on the Angelica Shoal ( ) and declared a constructive total loss.
- Seaspeed Dora ( Greece): Capsized and sank at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, refloated on 17 September and towed to Gothenburg, Sweden for repairs. seh re-entered service in 1978.
- Kerland ( France): a trawler sinking off the Runnelstone, Cornwall, was aided by the Isles of Scilly ferry RMV Scillonian III.
- Chryssopigi Cross ( Panama): Ran aground 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off Galle, Sri Lanka ( ) and sank.
- Deepwater Bay ( Liberia): Explosion and fire while discharging cargo at Luanda, Angola. She was declared a constructive total loss and scrapped in June 1978.
- Aristoteles ( Liberia): Ran aground at Sestrice Island ( ) and declared a constructive total loss.
- Union Crystal ( Malaysia): The coaster sank 20 nautical miles (37 km) off St Abbs Head, United Kingdom with the loss of five of her six crew.
- Empire Rosa ( United Kingdom): Ran aground at Luce Bay, Galloway, became a constructive total loss and later scrapped.
- Boston Sea Ranger ( United Kingdom): A Lowestoft trawler foundered off Gwennap Head, Cornwall during a southerly gale.
- Emmanuel C ( Greece): Ran aground on the Île d'Orléans, Quebec, Canada, refloated but declared damaged beyond economical repair and Scrapped in October 1978.
- Lady Camilla ( Denmark): The coaster sank off Cornwall, United Kingdom with loss of life including two children.
- Conqueror ( United Kingdom): A Grimsby trawler on her first voyage after a major refit, went ashore at Penzer Point, south of Mousehole, Cornwall. It is believed the crew were down below having breakfast and the trawler was on automatic pilot! The Penlee Lifeboat had insufficient power to tow the Conqueror off the rocks and she assumed a 35° list and broke up on the rocks.
- "37 are feared dead after collisions at sea" The Times (London). Friday, 14 January 1977. (59907), col D, p. 10.
- Larn, Richard (1992). The Shipwrecks of the Isles of Scilly. Nairn: Thomas & Lochar. ISBN 0-946537-84-4.
- "Belgian Merchant H-O". Belgische Koopvaardij. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "Seven crew rescued" The Times (London). Saturday, 19 February 1977. (59938), col C, p. 5.
- "Detained cattle ship sinks in gale" The Times (London). Monday, 28 March 1977. (59963), col D, p. 4.
- "Oil leaking from two vessels" The Times (London). Tuesday, May 10, 1977. (59999), col E, p. 5.
- "Ship sinks" The Times (London). Monday, 6 June 1977. (60022), col F, p. 3.
- Carter, C. (1998). The Port of Penzance: a history. Lydney: Black Dwarf Publications.
- "Belgian Merchant A-G". Belgische Koopvaardij. Retrieved 1 October 2010.
- "Five missing as ship sinks in stormy seas" The Times (London). Thursday, 17 November 1977. (60163), col A, p. 2.
- Carter, C. (1998). The Port of Penzance. Lydney: Black Dwarf Publications. ISBN 0-9533028-0-6.
- "Children's bodies found" The Times (London). Saturday, 31 December 1977. (60199), col D, p. 3.
- Larn, R; Larn, B. (1991). Shipwrecks Around Mounts Bay. Penryn: Tor Mark Press.
|Ship events in 1977|