List of shipwrecks in 1998
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The list of shipwrecks in 1998 includes all ships sunk, foundered, grounded, or otherwise lost during 1998.
- Flare ( Cyprus): The bulk carrier broke in two in severe weather and sank off Saint Pierre and Miquelon with the loss of 21 crew.
- Marie Bouanga ( Democratic Republic of the Congo): The cargo ship collided with Zircone ( Italy) near Borkum Riff, Germany ( ). She was declared a constructive total loss and subsequently scrapped.
- Demetrios II ( Honduras): The cargo ship ran aground off Paphos, Greece in bad weather. All eight crew were rescued by helicopter.
- Hualien Express ( Saint Vincent and the Grenadines): The cargo ship ran aground at Kandla, India. She was refloated on 8 August; the salvage was completed on 18 August and she was then sold for scrapping.
- A Yugo-class submarine ( Korean People's Navy) became entangled in the nets of a South Korean trawler and was subsequently taken in tow by South Korean Navy vessels. The submarine sank with the loss of all eight crew.
- Princess of the Orient ( Philippines): The ferry capsized and sank in a typhoon off Fortune Island, Batangas, killing around 150 people.
- Ocean Alley ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was wrecked at Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Renamed Adolphus Busch, she was sunk on 5 December as an artificial reef off Looe Key, Florida, United States.
- Eendracht ( Netherlands): The schooner ran aground at Newhaven, East Sussex, United Kingdom. All 51 people on board were rescued by helicopter. She was later refloated and returned to service.
- Arco Arun ( United Kingdom): The coaster capsized in the Thames Estuary at Northfleet Hope. She was later raised and refloated.
- Michael Horsnell. "Tug frees oil tanker blown ashore in gales" The Times (London). Friday, 2 January 1998. (66088), col B-F, p. 1.
- "Belgian Merchant H-O". Belgische Koopvaardij. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "Belgian Merchant A-G". Belgische Koopvaardij. Retrieved 1 October 2010.
- Jennifer Veale. "North Korean crew feared dead as captured midget submarine sinks" The Times (London). Wednesday, 24 June 1998. (66236), col A-H, p. 15.
- "North Koreans found dead in salvaged submarine" The Times (London). Friday, 26 June 1997. (66238), col D-H, p. 20.
- Helen Johnstone. "Helicopters winch crew off stricken vessel" The Times (London). Thursday, 22 October 1998. (66339), col D-H, p. 3.
- Lane, Anthony (2009). Shipwrecks of Kent. Stroud: The History Press. pp. p36. ISBN 978-0-7524-1720-2.
|Ship events in 1998|